BWF World Super Series Final 2011 - Seeding Report

Discussion in 'Super Series Final 2011' started by rosid, Dec 4, 2011.

1. rosid

rosid Regular Member

Student
  2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

No surprise in the seedings as they are taken straight from the SS ranking.

3. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Only a week from the competition, yet the draw is not yet out... How could they promote badminton like this? This is the grand final for god's sake!!!!

4. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Please always NOTE..the draw will be made LIVE during the meeting as always....also BWF has to wait for few days in case there is any withdrawals ...I was honourned to do first 3 picks in 1st edition in Kota Kinabalu....Badminton should follow Tennis to draw before the tournament starts...we have seen many seeded players pull out but are not replaced by next ranking players only by Qualifiers ...

5. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I actually support the move to do Draws in the eve prior to major events. We have seen how last minute withdrawals affect the draws of the Korea Open GPG right now, with the top seeds in WD and XD withdrawing.

6. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

As a year-ending grand finals, it deserves to have the draw at least a week prior to the competitions, with some promotional events in between. This event is not merely a regular competition. They waste a chance to promote badminton with such a signature event. This is more significant than technical issue like withdrawal.Is the tennis' year end ATP grand finals operates this way? I understood their arrangement is always more sensitive to publicity of the event. Per withdrawal, they have the standby players to replace, event a player withdraws during the competition, like this year's WTP grand finals...

7. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    For promotion...it is up to the host, not BWF...all players qualified for Final are known...now it is job for the host to promote it...same thing with Premier..it is host's job to promote it..again...you cant blame BWF...if there is no promotion..then it blames on the host..I am sure the host of Guang Xi has promoted this event within their region....may be not thru all china...

For ATP, same thing..they promote the event only, not with players, at least some are qualified...WTA final had to wait until last day to know who qulified...

It is sad that Badminton promotion is far away....BWF should issue certain guidelines to promote it..but again...each country has their own way to promote it...so hard to say!!

Think positively! at least there is a host for Super Series Final!

8. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

Fully agree that BWF draw held too early and posible big hole for any conspiracy between the drawing Officials.

For comparation in Tennis event :
    Qualifying : Saturday to Monday (Draw held on Friday)
    Main Raound : Monday to Sunday (Draw held on Saturday)

The draw held after the players send the present confirmation. Sometime any withdrawing the seeded player (mostly because of they are tired after play in Final previous tournament on Sunday). But ATP & WTA have rules the seeded player subtitution.
    seeded 1-2 WDN replaced by seeded-3
    seeded 3-4 WDN replaced by seeded-5
    seeded 5-8 WDN replaced by seeded-9, etc

We don't know what happened to some playear 3-4 weeks ago, injury, ill, visa problem and others. In this case I don't blame the players if they are pull out after the draw released but blame on the draw is too early.

9. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I don't understand how Drawing affects promotions done by the host??? Regardless of who is drawn against who, the host has definitely put in some effort to promote the event.

Once again, it is the responsibility of the HOST, not BWF, in organizing promotional activities related to the event. Look at how Maybank already starts its promotional work for the Malaysia SS 2012, even before the entry lists are confirmed or the draws are done.

10. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

I am not talking about a regular SS, which I agree that an early draw might not be necessary.Yet this is the grand final, like NBA all-star or tennis grand final. Tha ATP grand final made the draw 5 days prior to the competition starts. It would leave opportunities for media's story between this period, for players to be present at some badminton promotion activities, make more noise out of such a so-called year-end grand event to draw more world's attention to this sport!!!And this is not like regular competition, u got only the top 8 players, I could not see how player could make significant manipulation of the draws.Now the draw is made only one day before the competition starts. From publicity point of view, this is not in proportion to its so-called a grand final, if not call it a PR failure.Today's sport should not naively just play the games, there are more to consider, more noise to make, if it want to survive (if not even to prosper) in this world that people got lot of choices.

11. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    WTA final made the draw before the next day starts.....