Introducing Nebraska to badminton

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by wonderer, Jun 24, 2003.

1. wonderer

wonderer New Member

student
    I am a senior at Benson High School in Omaha Nebraska. I am using this forum because I could use anyone's help that is a member here for something I am trying to accomplish. Badminton in Nebraska is pretty weak as it is. What I am trying to do is get Nebraska to recognize badminton as a high school sport, so it can be competed in across that state. That way, with youth interest in it, it will grow into the adults as well. First though, the NSAA (Nebraska Schools Activities Association) must accept the sport. In order for it to work, I'm going to get my school to do a proposal in November's NSAA district meeting. From there the proposal will have to go through three rounds of voting, the final one will have every high school in Nebraska voting. What I need is that anyone that is willing to help please answer this forum and/or give me your email address. FUNDING WOULD REALLY HELP. Yes, I've already contacted the US Badminton organization if you wanted to know. But I could use more help. Its not easy creating a completely new sport out of scratch. The Nebraska Badminton Association is also not powerful enough to give much assistance either. Thank you for your time.

2. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I noticed from the USAB website that Nebraska has a state badminton association. Can they help?

The US Badminton Association headquarters used to be in Papillion.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Only one thing I can suggest:

Try to find out from NSAA (from contacts) how to organise the proposal and what points make up a succssful proposal and an unsuccessful one. Just to help plan your own proposal.

USAB and NBA should be able to give general figures on the sports popularity, standing of US players, olympic goals. Stuff that can be incorporated into your proposal.

4. ksr2

ksr2 Regular Member

Research Technologist
    Badminton in Nebraska

Hi wonderer,

I'm a member of the Nebraska Top Flight Badminton Club. I'm glad to see someone from Omaha using this forum here and even more impressed with your enthusiasm on promoting badminton. First, you can find out more about the club in our new web site http://www.nebraskabadminton.org. We've our regular weekly practice on Sunday evening at Papillion High School Gym. You're very welcome to join. For the question you ask about, I want to make sure you've contacted our club president Bob Ericson in case you have not. We've been planning to organize demo in high school to help promoting badminton. I'm quite sure we'll do as much as we can to help you to put the proposal together or anything that can get this rolling. You can call Bob at (402) 571-6933 or email him at ericson@brownell.edu. I'll certainly talk to Bob about this when I see him later this week. You can also pm me if you want to ask more.