Head heavy or headlight rackets cause more injury?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by asmd6230, Dec 8, 2011.

1. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

Head light or head heavy (average heavy, not something that pushes the envelope heavy) causes more shoulder problems?

have noticed that my fav go to rackets are painful to use when an old subscapularis injury flares up. (cant hit overhand with force without inducing pain..eg, clear, smash), always invariably caused by me smashing hard with one of my even balanced or head light rackets.

but the head heavy ones.. eg YY muscle power rackets are dont cause pain/easier to use until it heals up again.. at the expense of speed of course.

so head heavy or headlight rackets cause more injury?

looking forward to opinions.

2. masterblaster99

masterblaster99 Regular Member

asmd6230,

In my own personal experience, it is just the opposite to yours. Historically I have been using YY ARC10, which is pretty even balanced without injury. I recently purchased VT80 and I find that I have to limit its use during session, as it destroys both my elbow and shoulder.

Ultimately, I tihnk it has a great deal to do wih technique. If you swing with a lot a wrist to generate power then you should be using an even balanced/head light racket, as something head heavy could cause strain/injury....in my opinion.

3. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

Wrong technique causes injury, but yeah i find that during mishits with a light head rackets hurts the elbows while full power hit with a heavy head or stiff rackets would hurt my shoulders.

4. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    Yes definitely head heavy rackets causes more problems. Previously I had been using V80 and arc z , i find that V80 is much more strength demanding. So you need to build arm strength to adapt to the racket.

5. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Somewhere in tennis forums I read some studies discovered that people are prone to injury using head-heavy but light rackets. The safest type is heavy racket n headlight rackets. I guess it is the same for badminton but one can get injured easily not by the racket but by overswinging/overexertion of wrist, arm or shoulder.

6. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

i have a prince more+ xl and while its a solid frame to hit with, its heavy and head heavy and super stiff. very easy to play casually with it, but when trying to move it fast... its downright painful.
    so am pretty sure the concept of heavy racket and head heavy doesnt quite hold water.

7. zatliteblogspot

zatliteblogspot Regular Member

Bad form and bad judgement (ignoring the body's stress signals) is what causes injuries.

Pick up a tennis or squash racket. Try an overhead swing with a little wrist action.
    You'll get lots of feedback from your body telling you why that's not a good idea.