CRRACK!!! Major OUCH!

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Joanne, Jun 26, 2003.

1. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Sometimes when I'm playing badminton my left leg, around the knees will just kinda twist with a crrack... I think it's kinda of a minor dislocation that goes back in place immediately... happens alot. Sometimes it's so bad I'll just get off the court and sit down and massage my leg.

Any idea how to prevent it?

2. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

You may have a tear in the cartilage. Does you knee ever lock-up?

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    U might need some proper warm up or drills before intensive games.

However, if such cases happen on a very often basis, u should go to see a doctor. U r still young, and better get the problemed taken care off earlier.

4. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Check with a doctor asap in order to avoid having a permanent injury. You may even want to get an x-ray or mri taken to determine whether there is any injury. Knees are tricky things and go quite easily. You may have to stop playing badminton for a few weeks/months to let the knee heal :( . You definitely do not want to risk any permanent injury or your badminton career will be over before it has started. You may also have a bad technique where you lunge for the shuttlecork too much and thereby injuring the knee. Players with a smooth gliding style generally get less injury. Also, check your footware and soles. Worn out footware can result in injuries

Ron

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    are u sure it made a 'CRRACK' sound? sound serious:(

6. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I have similar problems sometimes but as LazyBuddy had said, maybe you didn't warm up properly. I only hear those kind of CRAACK only when I don't bother to warm up.

Would a knee-guard help in this?

7. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

No, my knee doesn't lock up.

I DO warm up, and it doesn't happen during intensive games... just when I'm playing with friends. Not too often... well just lately about 6 times that is. Maybe that's often? But it's not really painful after that. After that I can continue playing... sometimes don't need to go offcourt at all.

It doesn't happen when I lunge for the shuttle, it happens when I do backhand (you know, turn your legs around... if you get what I mean). My shoes are brand new. :)

Yes it makes a sound. But not too loud of course.

Kneeguard... who knows? But I don't think I'll wear that... people will seriously think I'm injured. ;)

As for all the doctor part, I'll see if it happens again... I'll make sure I warm up more. :)

Thanks for your replies! :)

8. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Are you talking about the start of a game, your first few games, or when you're pretty heavily warmed up? I wouldn't worry about it so much if it is just your first game and you're rallying. For me, the first few hits will result in some cracking sounds in my elbow or shoulder, but after that, it's nothing.

But yeh, if I do properly stretch it, it doesn't make that crack. Make sure you're doing the appropriate stretch for your knee itself. So you're not focusing on your quads, or calves etc.

9. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

The last time that happpened I had been playing for 2 hours.

I always warm up my legs as I feel its the most important part to warm up.

10. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    The better to fool your opponents, no? ;)

11. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    It's "crafty, old players" remember?

#11 wood_22_chuck, Jun 26, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2003
  12. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    If i where u i would seriously think about wearing a kneeguard. I wouldn't care what others think of you, its your health that is in jeopardy. A kneeguard would hold the knee in place so it probably won't pop out. Maybe that can do the trick for ya, and its not that expensive either.

13. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    i know what you mean.. me and a friend of mine use to have it last time, but for us, it is the right knee, coz we are right handed...

the thing to do here is to strengthen you knee... there is a lot of ways to do this but the most convenient one is to make a 90 degree angle with your back on the wall... something like sitting on an imaginary chair.

you will feel the strain on your thigh... and this will strengthen your knee... do this frequently... at the beginning i was only able to take 20sec, now i can maintain the position for ard 87sec!

14. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    Hey we do that at basketball practise... thats a really good excercise

15. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

I already do that at training... but we don't lean on the wall. I haven't actually timed myself but I can do it for about... 25 secs. I think. ;)

I strenghten my arm by supporting my body with my elbow and feet... no idea how to explain it. That I time... but somehow never tried timing the "toilet bowl" way. :p

I'll think about the knee guard...

16. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

Yes, the knee guard is a very good suggestion. My friend's been playing for a long time and he has very bad knees and now has to wear knee braces on both legs. In my opinion, the knee guard doesn't look that "silly"..i've actually seen many people wear knee guards. Joanne, if you're feeling pain in ur knees and it's keeps occuring, it would be a good idea to see a doctor, but in the meantime, wearing a knee brace wouldn't hurt.

The knee brace does get very warm though when playing with it a long time. I guess this can be an advantage and a disadvantage. Advantage being it'll warm up your legs very fast. Unfortunately if you're not used to it, it'll get too hot for your liking..this being the disadvantage. Overall, it'll help support the knees.

17. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Like I said... I'll play for a bit more then see how my leg is. If I need it I'll wear it. :) Gotta warm up extra. ;)

18. ArchDevil145

ArchDevil145 Regular Member

student
    Hey, good exercise. Gotta try that. But wouldn't you get a lot of muscle pain from your thighs after doing that?

19. armortec user

armortec user Regular Member

Can I just say that wearing a knee-guard will offer no support whatever, except psychological? It's extremely foolish not to seek medical advice when it's available. If there is any laxity around the patella, it will make your knee extremely susceptible to dislocation. This is particularly the case in badminton where there is a lot of twisting and lunging involved. Having dislocated your knee, you can count on arthiritis and a certain degree of immobility depending on how severe the dislocation. You will certainly never regain the strength & mobility your knee previously had, and there will be a fair chance of the knee dislocating again in less severe conditions. So, take care of your bones if you wanna be a record-breaker...

20. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

unfortunately, that's where you are wrong. yes, i can agree that you should go see a doctor immediately before the problem gets worse. However, the knee brace will give the knee some support, depending what sort of knee brace you are using as there are many kinds. Like i mentioned before, my friend has very bad knees and has disloacted both of them..he continues to play badminton after they have healed well enough (like you mentioned, they will never be 100%)..but if my friend does not wear the knee brace, he will surely dislocate them and damage them again right when he starts playing a competitive match. So there obviously is some support..