The end of HEAD, within Badminton...

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by LD rules!, Dec 11, 2011.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

As of the 21st of December 2011, HEAD will be terminating all existing player contracts. They will not be taking up any more sponsorship deals, and will end their interest in the badminton market.

A big loss, as they are a major racket company...

2. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    No-way. Seriously? Where did you read this LD? I thought their entry into the badminton scene had been pretty successful so far. Shame, I felt they made some awesome rackets. The Metallix 4000 is one of my all-time favourites. (Don't laugh!).

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Global recession has hit them quite hard, and unfortunately badminton isn't as important to them as Tennis, therefore all contracts will be terminated within badminton market...

As to whether or not rackets wil still be produced, it's a big unknown, I believe they will take a more minor roll than before, and production will slow...

I heard it today when watching badmintoneurope.tv

4. allyjack110

I really hope they don't 'pull-out' from the badminton scene entirely. It's nice to see other brands attempting to offer something new and different. I suspect that HEAD will continue to produce badminton rackets and accessories, albeit on a smaller capacity; similar to SEGA after the Dreamcast;). They only updated their badminton range earlier this year in March/April. I can't think of any major player other than Pablo Abian who use HEAD rackets. Anthony Clark is now retired, as is Zhou Mi, and Viktor A switched to YY either this year. I have been looking around and most major on-line retailers, such as Amazon, are selling HEAD bats at a heavily reduced price. The only criticism I have was with the quality of their handles. IMO, the frames themselves were very robust and well-constructed but the handles seemed to suffer badly, particularly where the shaft connected with the cone. I had three Metallix 4000s in the space of a month, all with the same defect. Maybe it was a bad batch or something though.

#4 allyjack110, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  5. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Oh!! Now I know why on directbadminton are selling Head badminton rackets with a 50+% discount

6. allyjack110

I noticed that as well.

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Many top pros within Europe are using HEAD rackets, Top Polish MD pair, Adam Cwalia/Michael Logosz, use them and they are top 20 in the world or thereabouts... Other players, Petr Koukal, Ville Lang, and some more players, like Pablo:)

I have as well witnessed many a Head racket handle just collapse without any real reason, seen a few frames go too, will be a shame to see them go...

Pick up a Christmas bargain though:p

8. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    =( I love head racquets!
    Strong beasts that easily take 32lbs. I have no issue with smacking them into the floor due to their awesome strength.

9. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

which ones are good? if they're going under with heavy discount i might as well pick up some better valued ones :D

10. allyjack110

HEAD Metallix 6000. Some consider the 6000 to be the best in the series. I also like the 4000. The 6000 and 10000 are head-heavy, whereas the 4000 and 8000 are evenly-balanced. The 2000 is more head-light, but is considered an entry-level racket. I would definitely try eBay.

#10 allyjack110, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  11. TiKok

TiKok Guest

There is no really head-heavy Head racquet, as such; even the 10000 and 7000 PH.

I was playing over a year ago, as Axelsen before he went for VT80, the 10000 PH YouTek, it was one of my best racquet ever, excepted the fact that, as in tennis, pro Head racquets have this kind of very metallic feel that really wear you out quickly in a match, single or double; it's a very demanding racquet.
    My actual Forza VS555 CNT are for me a piece of cake in comparison.

The 4000 is an excellent all-rounder. 7000 and 8000 PH very good ones too.

12. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I very much enjoyed the metallix 8000 and the power helix 8000 when I used them. might get the PH out again soon :D

13. TsAr83

TsAr83 Regular Member

I am playin with Head Power Helix 8000, believe me its a gem of a racket........balanced, and control plus power all in one...

14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Less companies investing in baddy is always sad.. But I don't cry big tears for Head or other "tennis" companies that seem to make baddy equiment just because they "can" not becuase they really want to be "in the game" and develop new exciting stuff...

I just wonder how long Wilson, Babolat, Prince etc. will continue their so-so efforts in badminton :-D ..

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I'm amazed Prince are still in badminton at all...

16. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Is there somewhere to confirm this info? I didn't see anything on badmintoneurope.tv (was it mentioned in an interview??).. Can't find any info on HEADs websites etc.. Anything?

17. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Watch Logosz/Cwalina (both Head sponsored players incidently) vs Ger MD SF, skip to around 4-1(?) in the second game and listen.:)

Cheers

18. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

so whats the difference between power helix and metalix?

so mostly its 6000 or 8000 series? :p

19. allyjack110

The Metallix series preceeds the Power Helix range, which HEAD first released in 2007.....I think. With the Power Helix, the emphasis is on the technology contained in the shaft. It is designed to provide more flexibility in the shaft - and thus more power - whilst still maintaining maximum control of the shuttle. 'Metallix' on the otherhand is a special alloy used in the contruction of the frame. HEAD have used this same technology in their Power Helix range. I owned the Power Helix 7000 before the handle decided to break on me. It was a lovely racket. The PH 7000 and 10000 are more head-heavy than the 8000 and 5000, which are more balanced. The Power Helix 8000 was the racket of choice for Anthony Clark before he retired earlier this year.

20. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    I have a head tennis racket and it's fantastic. Haven't really tried any of their badminton rackets, but I've heard good things. Sad to see any company discontinuing badminton :(