Broken while stringing

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by thaisilk, Dec 11, 2011.

1. thaisilk

thaisilk Regular Member

Restaurang owner
    One month ago my Voltric (only had it for 2 months) broke while stringing the crosses. It broke between 2-3 o´clock. I got a new one from Yonex and the same stringer stringes the new racket and he broke it at the same place and time (crosses).

It is the same stringer who did my other rackets what brokes at 12 o´clock http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...ken-rackets-wrong-tensions?highlight=thaisilk.

He is a very fast stringer, 18 minutes/racket, and use a 6-clamp machine. Is it his fault or am I only unlucky?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

If you're only using low tension, then IMO it's time you find a new stringer!

3. thaisilk

thaisilk Regular Member

Restaurang owner
    I have tried to string myself, but it takes more than one hour and I´m afraid not doing right/better than him

4. thaisilk

thaisilk Regular Member

Restaurang owner
    IMG_1836.jpg 2 rackets in the same place and the tension are 21/23

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

a) Mods, this needs moving to the Stringing Techniques forum :D;

b) Definitely get a new stringer - the V80 frame is extremely strong (one of the strongest I've ever encountered), and there's no way it should go at 23, and certainly not TWICE. I would call misplaced racket supports, but I've seen Voltrics strung on 2-pointers before with no problems. There is such a thing is going TOO fast...

6. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I agree.

I have done a similar VT70 [TH coded] to 32lbs on a 2-pointer and 33lbs on a 6-pointer and I am also impressed by the Voltric frame's strength. This has just proven that even if a stringer has a solid 6-pointer it does not necessarily mean that the stringer knows how to use his machine correctly or what exactly he is doing.

You have given this stringer too many chances to redeem himself and yet what he has been doing the entire time is break more of your racquets. To add salt to the wound your tension is at a very low 21-23lbs. I have strung racquets similar models to yours at 10lbs more than your tension and I can attest that these racquets are not weak at all.

You are definitely better off stringing your own racquets. If you have strung a few racquets at your tension and have yet to break one, then are you not already doing a better job than that stringer?

7. thaisilk

thaisilk Regular Member

Restaurang owner
    Thank you all that confirmed my suspicion. From now on I do it myself

8. thaisilk

thaisilk Regular Member

Restaurang owner
    Sorry but how can i move it to Stringing Techniques?

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Better to do it yourself and take slightly longer - watch kwun's videos to see the correct placement of shoulder supports.

10. thaisilk

thaisilk Regular Member

Restaurang owner
    I could not find the video?

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    There is a possibility that the stringer stretched the frame too much and/or squeezed the shoulder supports inward too much. Yes, it's always nice to string your own racquet! :D

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The crack is on the inside. If it's not on the outside, this means the frame probably collapsed inward, meaning that the top few crosses may have been done too tight, or the 2/10 supports were too tight.

13. thaisilk

thaisilk Regular Member

Restaurang owner
    String today for the third time, took 1h50min. It´s no fun :confused:

14. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    Keep going! It always takes longer when you are not used to doing this. I heard others take more than 2 hours for the first racquet. Get some racquets from friends to string.

Depending on the machine, I use fixed clamps on the mains, then floating clamps for the crosses. My floating clamps were the very old heavy ones from 1985 and they still work. But now I bought two badminton three prong fixed clamps and I do the crosses now using these new clamps. My current machine is a 6-point drop weight and I can now usually do a racquet in about 30 minutes. The main slow parts are occasionally with string that won't go through a shared grommet - use a string puller to move the string away to open up the grommet.

If you are using a spring ratchet winder, you can also pre-weave the crosses and leave enough of a loop to reach the winder clamps. In my experience it is the cross weaving that takes time for beginners. It also takes a little more time for higher tensions. In my youth I used to string 4 racquets an hour on a 2-point drop-weight machine with only floating clamps, the same floating clamps I still use now from time to time - this was with the racquets already prepared, i.e. old string removed, but using packet string and of course quite low tension compared to these days. Floating clamps are quite quick but I prefer to use the fixed clamps now to reduce slippage.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It's nothing wrong, if someone can do a good job while doing it fast. However, if only go for the speed, then here's the price gotta pay...:eek:

16. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Be patient like Master LB said. Everyone has to start some where. I was teaching my wife string tennis racquet the other day on Bairado machine the other day. Took her 1 hr 20 min. It is OK, the result is same as me string the same racquet in 22 min.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    80 min for the 1st try is very impressive. I remember my 1st trial took like 4 hrs? :cool:

18. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

not a matter or fast or slow in stringing

but whether good or bad

maybe u shd change to some1 else for stringing?

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Of course, speeding up is not the only factor cause bad string job, and it's not a sure factor, either.

However, inexperience + lack of responsiblity + rush for speed almost surely will be a trouble in making.

20. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

So my wife say she want to lean how to string up badminton racquet. She asked "does it has many different pattern like Tennis racquets?" My answer "No, there are only 2 patterns YY uses." Watch out, here comes the blind test... Will let you know how long she string up her first badminton racquets on Baraido machine...