User Tag List

Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WoOZY View Post
    It is NOT head heavy... So if you think the SW35 is too head light and you're looking for head heavy... This is NOT the racquet for you! I think the stiffness is about the same... I would not use the LYD for singles but the SW35 I would...
    Thank you! But is it really that head-light?? I read that the LYD is head-heavier than the SW35 as LYD wanted a stiffer racket than BS9... if the stiffness is almost the same as SW35 whats the big difference XDBtw I play mainly mixed and mens doubles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he wants something stiffer than BS9 (which was indeed true) then how does that translate into wanting something head heavier than the SW35, which he never used

I have not gotten the chance to try the LYD since it's not available here yet, but I believe the differences would be that the LYD will swing faster from the BS shape and be less head heavy. So it'll be less powerful but quicker than the SW35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LYD did use te SW35 several times... For example te WC2010 he played there with the SW35

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point, but the BS LYD should still be faster, less head heavy, and less powerful than the SW35 which is what you actually need to know, isn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTornado View Post
    Good point, but the BS LYD should still be faster, less head heavy, and less powerful than the SW35 which is what you actually need to know, isn't it?
    Yeah I guess... I know I can hit harder smashes as my whole power isn't at full capacity yeah I know bminton is not about smashes hahaIf it'll swing faster wouldn't that result in faster defense and smashes??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smash speed is governed by momentum: speed*mass. If you decrease the mass, you'll have to increase the speed by at least the same amount (and vice versa).

edit:// assuming that stiffness remains the same
    Last edited by SolsticeOfLight; 04-10-2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: clarification

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SolsticeOfLight View Post
    Smash speed is governed by momentum: speed*mass. If you decrease the mass, you'll have to increase the speed by at least the same amount (and vice versa).

edit:// assuming that stiffness remains the same
    Are you sure about that? What scientific reasoning do you have that that's how it works? I'm not trying to attack your post, but merely understand why this is and make sure we don't make a layperson's conclusion that seems to make sense but doesn't have any real justification.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because of the law of conservation of energy and scientific concepts such as momentum and maths. Note you have to use SI units to make the formula work, and that you have to be careful calculating mass and speed because you're working around a pivot, but I thought to keep it relatively simple.
    For further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum
    Last edited by SolsticeOfLight; 04-11-2012 at 04:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol "scientific concepts such as momentum and maths" okay.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's actually not wrong though. When two bodies make contact, there's a transfer of kinetic impulse - depending on the properties of the bodies, it's a soft or hard impact, which affects how much of the impulse is transferred - real processes are all a mix of those two, and badminton is particularly complex because of the flexible strings&shaft and the fact that you hold the racket rather than throwing it, so you can actually transfer more momentum than that of the racket by hitting/swinging through (the reason your grip should be tight when making contact).
    Anyhow, that discussion has been started at least 5 times in different places of this forum, so let's not discuss it any further here - if you're interested in this topic, find the thread

To wrap it up: to get the same power with a lighter/head lighter racket (as with a heavier one), you need to swing it quicker and adjust the swing style/technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok ok, ignore my posts. It's been a long time since I took physics so I guess I just don't remember it that well My apologies Solstice.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No need to apologize - it's right to be sceptical. That way you won't easily believe some of the less scientific statements around here [my favorite: adding weight to the handle makes a racket quicker ]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pictures and BP

Some pictures here:
    Name:  DSCF5562.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  27.4 KBName:  DSCF5564.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  32.6 KBName:  DSCF5565.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  48.6 KBName:  DSCF5568.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  63.2 KBName:  DSCF5570.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  34.5 KB

First thing: On the both sides of the frame aren't any bright colours as it was shown before on a wallpaper or on some pictures by some resellers. Lucky for me, because I like it that gold-grey stripes

As you can see. The head IS smaller then Arcsaber10 and N55's head.
    But it is strangely not (much) smaller than the head of my SW37.

The quality around the cone doesn't look like a high end product Maybe it is really made in China? Where is it stated again? someone have mentioned it before.
    There are clearly spaces visible there. Not really of matter but it would explain its cheaper price (from start on)

Some further facts:

BS LYD 3U, strung with 10,5kg, VS850, still with original grip on the wood.
    BP with the first overgrip (Victor 06, white, 0,60mm, gripped by seller; overlap: 35%): 295mm ~ 296mm
    BP without any overgrip(s): 308mm (!)
    BP with new overgrip (Wilson Pro Perforated Overgrip, white, 0,60mm,; overlap: ~50%): ~ 298mm

Kinda strange?

The same thing with my Arcsaber10. With a new overgrip it has a BP of 302mm now!!!
    Is it maybe sweat which matters that much?

Another question: Is it possible that BP isn't the factor for measuring the head heaviness?
    Because, when I hold BS LYD, it's still head heavier than Arcsaber10. Not by much, but slightly and noticable more.

Finally I'm at home during the weeks. That means I'll have more time to use my BS LYD from now on
    Last edited by Accordaz; 04-11-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@accordaz:
    did you measure it with string on it or pure dry weight (without string and factory grip intact)?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    @accordaz:
    did you measure it with string on it or pure dry weight (without string and factory grip intact)?
    Please read again. It's already stated by myself.

If the question was going for Arc10: original grip + overgrip (0,60mm), 15% overlap; strung with same string and tension.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Accordaz View Post
    Another question: Is it possible that BP isn't the factor for measuring the head heaviness?Because, when I hold BS LYD, it's still head heavier than Arcsaber10. Not by much, but slightly and noticable more.
    Yeah, there's something called 'swing weight' which I don't fully understand, and also where the weight is located. If you have two rackets with the same BP but one carries most of its weight at 12 o'clock, it will feel heavier than the other that carries its weight evenly distributed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have two rackets with the same BP but one carries most of its weight at 12 o'clock, it will feel heavier than the other that carries its weight evenly distributed.
    If a racket carries more of its weight at 12 o-clock, then it won't have the same balance point.

Perhaps it's the overall weight of the racket? Even within a particular 'U', there's still 5 grams difference possible. Even if the balance point were then the same, the heavier racket would feel head-heavier.
    Last edited by SolsticeOfLight; 04-11-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: layout

Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast