All these neoprene supports that people wear, how do they actually work?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by sautom88, Dec 14, 2011.

1. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

How does a knee support help the knees to stay in its place when there is so much force being exerted on it when we are playing? For wrist bands i know it is for absorbing sweat that flows onto yr hands, but for muscle disorder/weakness in wrist how does wearing wrist-band or wrist support helps?

I tried wearing ankle support for my achilles heel being tightened up when playing but found it uncomfortable instead.

Any physiotherapist or bone-doctor care to help?(sorry I don't know the precise name of the profession)

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Quite a few people don't think they support anything.

However, some people do feel a benefit by the support increasing the amount of proprioception.

3. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Thanks, Cheung. Appreciate it. How about Kinesio Taping? Also the same answer, some does not feel it works?

4. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

If one wears the normal elastic knee guards to help reduce the forces acting on the knees, then it is just useless. The forces generated is just too great for the guards to be effective.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

you only need it if you have ligament instability in that joint

otherwise, you'll find that it is useless

however, if you do have a need for it, make sure you get a tight fitting one for maximum support and protection

6. KillerQT

KillerQT Regular Member

7. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

I found them to be a only good for temporary solution. ie you have sprain something and you are recovering.

ie it compresses the area, helps to keep the ligament/muscle warm and helps to restrict movment to prevent further damage.

Better solution is to find exercises/stretches that will strengthen the area you are having problem with for the long term.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's right

9. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

Pretty much this for me, have ankle and elbow supports. Helps in compression and keeping the area warm when waiting to get back onto court.

10. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

i used to use a knee guard but they were useless.

a patella brace though is so much better. the brace is to make sure you knee is in line with the movement.

it usually shifts whenever you make an exegerated movement especially when you have muscle imbalances.

11. TsAr83

TsAr83 Regular Member

One thing what i have noticed is that it keeps the area warm where ur wearing the support which would mean less injuries. It a preventive measure.

12. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Any suggestions for good patella braces? In my country we have limited choices, mostly LP and maybe Victor.

13. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

i use LP on both knees as a preventive measure :p i forgot to wear it last week and it really hurt when i twisted and lunged to get a shuttle that already passed my back hand. no baddy for 3 days! :crying:

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I had a right hand wrist injury in 2006 (torn fascia/ligament connecting the thumb and wrist). i did the following:

1. Went see a doctor immediately. the doctor gave me a bunch of NSAID (and other medication)..
    2. Rest the wrist for about 14 days. No use at all. I switched to left hand for all activities.
    3. Accupuncture
    4. No badminton for four or five months. (Maybe six months; can't remember exactly.)
    5. When I returned to play badminton after several months, I used the LP wrist support. And amazingly, the next day when I woke up, the pain in the wrist disappeared. I don't know why.
    6. I had been using the LP support until recently. I was advised by my local coach against using it when not needed. I was told that continuous use of the wrist support may create dependency.

#14 pcll99, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  15. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

you're correct on the dependency bit, but thats because you hardly use your wrist intensively other than for baddy.

for knees, you should only use the brace when you jump a lot/play baddy or else take it off so that your stabalising muscles are stimulated while you jog/exercise :D