looking durable and cushion synthetic grip (must have a good sweat-absorption)

Discussion in 'Grip' started by fmqpt791004, Dec 16, 2011.

1. fmqpt791004

fmqpt791004 Regular Member

College Student
    I am looking for a grip that is durable, cushioned, and sweat absorption.

I have used Karakal Point Air 75. It is durable and absorbs sweat very well, but no cushioned. I have used a Victor Replacement grip that a good cushioned, but no sweat absorption.

Any recommandation and reply will be appreciated. thans

2. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

As you have pointed out, I don't think cushioning plus sweat absorption both exist in one same synthetic grip, especially the replacement grips which you put on directly onto the wooden handle.

Reason is because to get cushioning, the best way is to put a spongy foam type layer into the underside of the grip (which absorbs sweat very easily), while if you also have sweat absorption in the grip, the sweat will be absorbed into the cotton layer which gives the cushioning, if the grip has both features. Since then the cotton layer will be wet (with sweat absorption) and in direct contact with the wooden handle, your handle will be soaked and this can damage the wood unless you put a layer of insulation tape on top of the wood.

But even if you put the insulation tape on the wooden handle, as the foam layer is underneath the "visible" outer layer of the grip and thus has no contact with the outside air or sunlight, the grip will spoil very easily as you now have a wet grip on the inside where bacteria can build up. Even if your grip seems ok on the outside, since it is a durable synthetic (i.e. NOT leather) will you even bother to change it after for example 2 weeks of usage, just because there is bacteria build up in the grip while the grip still looks new on the outside?

However if you would like the cushioning added on, I would suggest the Yonex cushion wrap AC380 for you to put underneath your sweat absorption but uncushioned replacement grip. I do not know if this wrap has anti-bacterial features but as usual use everything at your own discretion.

3. fmqpt791004

fmqpt791004 Regular Member

College Student
    great idea

replacement grip (cushioned) + overgrip (sweat absorption)

I didn't bother to change overgrip if it looks fine outside.
    Are you saying that the wet used grip may spoil the wood handle?

4. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Please make up your mind on what kind of grip it is that you really want.

I recommend this small experiment:

Depress one side of your racquet's bare wooden handle on a piece of soaking wet sponge and leave it that way for an hour or so. Then pick it up and check on the wet side.

Now what do you think a soaking wet grip (with the sweat-soaked cushioning foam on the underside) which absorbs and retains sweat (i.e. not just pure uncontaminated water, and where bacteria will grow and feed on) which is always in contact with the bare wood will do to the wooden handle? Even if only a small amount of sweat gets absorbed into the wood think about the bacteria that has grown onto the grip's underside and is in full contact with the fully biodegradable wooden handle.

Even the anti-bacterial Yonex clean overgrip has a limited usage life where after that you are directed by the instructions to change it. The best sweat absorption synthetic grips such as the Yonex AC143 do not come with the cushioning due to this simple reason.

5. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

yup, my wife's (my old) racket makes squeking noises whenever you move it :p now i always tape the wooden handle before gripping

karakal 75 is pretty thick for an over grip, why dun you look you for a a thin one like karakal nano 60 over the normal cushioned super PU with no overlap.