Pros refusing to change shuttles

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by axl886, Dec 17, 2011.

1. axl886

axl886 Regular Member

I notice that it almost always happens (98%) with WS/WD players... rather than MS/WD.

Does it mean women players are:

1) tactically more astute to play mind games?
    2) morally lacking in scruples/honour?
    3) just plain bitchy?

Opinions welcomed. :D

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I believe in (1), that women players are tactically more astute to play mind games.

But it is the same shuttlecock for players on both sides of the court. So, where is the advantage or disadvantage? :confused::confused::confused:

3. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    It's just for mind games and sometimes because they aren't as tired as the player requesting the shuttle change so it can help keep the pressure on.
    And sometimes cos the shuttles aren't actually damaged

4. axl886

axl886 Regular Member

Yeah, frequently they wanna mess with the minds of the opponents, a test of wills you can call it - "look, the umpire agrees with me" (and by implication is on my/our side, hah!")

This just occurred to me: the physical reason might be that even a mildly damaged shuttle (eg. 5%), will affect the smash-speeds of the women players, more so than those of the guys.

Either which, of course... will ruffle the feathers of the ladies standing opposite. :ps

#4 axl886, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Depends on the preceeding point, IME - if it's a hard-fought one with no errors and good play from both sides, the other side is usually amenable to change.

I'd say shuttle condition is not quite symmetrical over both sides: one side has to serve, and some prefer to serve with an old shuttle, some with a new one.

6. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

i'm not a pro player. but i never understood why a player doesn't agree to change shuttles! if my opponent wants to change the shuttle for purely tactical reasons (and i know it...) i change the shuttle anyway! my opponent arguing with the referree distracts me far more than the change of the shuttle! i literally NEVER in my life refused to change a shuttle. short glimpse at the referree, nod your head, change it and go on. and think to yourself: "that won't help you! i'm gonna outplay you with every fu**** shuttle you like, bastard."
    i'm male fwiw...;)

7. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

forgot that one: if my opponent denies to change the shuttle, i'm gonna break a feather at the next possible occasion and change it then. not a big deal.
    but most important: never ever be distracted by such bull****!!!

8. axl886

axl886 Regular Member

That part in bold... explains it all! Hehe.

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

The shuttle might be the same for both players, but not all players are the same. What I'm getting at is: some are better defenders, some are better attackers.

My theory is that defenders are more likely to prefer faster shuttles when playing against weaker defenders/better attackers because they themselves can still defend it, whilst their opponent cannot. And vice versa

10. vixter

vixter Regular Member

It is because c) more bitchy

11. johnlowe88

johnlowe88 Regular Member

IT Consultant
    The other thing, is that a side that is winning points with a shuttle - why change it if it is still ok? From a mental aspect, a change of shuttle, from one perfectly good one to another perfectly good one - is still a change, and does make a difference in the minds of the players. If we are winning points, and the shuttle is ok, we certainly wouldn't want to change it. My two cents worth.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

When one wants to change the shuttlecock, one needs to have the agreement from both the opponent and the umpire.

In theory, the shuttlecock needs not be changed if its flight/speed is OK. I haven't seen this for a long, long time at tournaments nowadays - Calling in a shuttlecock tester to check if the shuttlecock's flight/speed is OK.

13. johnlowe88

IT Consultant
    That's right. I have seen in some of the finals, when one side wants to change, the other doesn't and the umpire wants to see the shuttle. The umpire often tells them to continue, but usually the next point they change anyway.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

:D:D:D At our 2012 Australian Under-13 Interstate Series, let's see how many times players want to change their shuttlecocks per game.

See you there. :):):)

15. johnlowe88

IT Consultant
    Yes, see you there Chris.

-John

16. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

We don see this in tennis, do we?I tend to pick newer balls to serve, it's a clear advantage and everyone knows it. The receiver never complaints and just get on with the game.In badminton, if it's damaged, change it. If the opponents wants to disrupt the flow or game momentum, let them. Involving the umpire causes even more disruption.

#16 S.fusion, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  17. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I must say, rejecting a shuttle change from your opponent usually does makes thing more complicated and longer.

It's best if the umpires decide after each point whether he or she should accept a change of shuttle if requested and make a quick decision. Otherwise it's just a big mess. Some players like slower birds than faster birds, so after a few rallies, it slows down a bit, it's an advantage to that one side.

My friend who service judged a match at US Open told me that there was one match where the players asked for like almost 40 shuttle changes throughout the match. I forgot which match, I think it was singles. Over 20 shuttles were used.

18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

what is the tennis stuff for? just more bitchy ladies?

20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yep :p.

The line between 1 and 3 is thin enough anyway but the way most ladies shake hands afterwards can hardly be attributed to tactical mind games ;)