HELP with Snapping Wrist

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kristen, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Kristen

Kristen Guest

I know that snapping your wrist is one of the most important parts to smashing or doing high clears, and that's what coach always says to do, but I just can't seem to snap it. I'm a fairly strong girl, but I just can't do it, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've set my partner up a number of times to be smashed at, or had my "smashes" (if you want to call them that, they're sooo horrible) picked up easily.
    IF THERE'S ANY ADVICE ANYONE CAN GIVE ME TO HELP ME WITH SNAPPING MY WRIST, I WOULD APPRECIATE IT SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!

2. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

Make sure the force of the snap is at its greatest when you hit the shuttle (This would be when the racquet head speed is at its greatest velocity). If you have good timing, this would be easy. If you feel that you're pushing the shuttle when you hit it, you're hitting it too early. Also try not to follow through too much with the arm. I find that the longer the shuttle stays on the string bed, the less power is generated. This is most likely attributed to the strings cushioning the shuttle instead of deflecting it. However, a good snapping wrist still needs a good arm, body, and legs to support it. Make sure in a smash/clear, the transfer of weight starts at least from your elbow and slowly increasing in velocity moving through the forearm, wrist, hand, racquet handle, shaft, and finally the head. Sometimes you can even feel the flex in the shaft if you have a less stiff racquet.

Your smash may also already be good, if you are smashing directly to your partner/opponent and he is anticipating it then he would most likely be able to return it. Also your racquet may not complement your playing ability. If you are indeed as strong as you say, try a head heavier racquet.

3. dp65

dp65 Guest

IMHO, power does not come from wrist snapping but from forearm rotation, pronation for forehand, supination for backhand. That's the magic. Hope this helps.

4. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    Practice standing up holding a badminton racquet straight up pointing the sky , make sure your arm is straight . Then using the strength of your wrist , bring the badminton racquet forward and backwards , make sure it is a 180 degree action . Perform this action at least 200 times a day and you'll gladly see that your shot is more powerful . The angle you use to hit a stoke is also very important so take note.

Just perform the above action and believe me, in just 2 weeks, you can see the significant improvement. Problem here is too many people are not training properly. In our academy ,everyone has to do this simple action in every training in order to learn how to smash which is the last thing you learn .Many people seems to think they born with the skill of smashing .I'm sometimes sick of people who give stupid tips so don't listen to people who gives you stupid tips.

Another factor can only be that you did not bend your wrist enough so make sure when you smash it is a 180 degrees action . You must bend your wrist far backwards and swing forward to hit the shuttle.

5. vic

vic Guest

For me, personally, I 'pull back' my forearm at the point of impact to help me snap my wrist (since I keep it very loose). My coach says that it's kinda like snapping a wet towel. Once you get the hang of it, all your shots will be executed effortlessly.

6. May

May Guest

I dunno what the heckdo u mean by snapping ur wrist. It's more of rotating ur wrist fast if u ask me.

7. viver

viver Regular Member

I do not understand clearly what your coach meant by snapping your wrist. If your movement is correct please remember the following: keep your wrist and fingers loose and tighten them upon contact with the shuttle.
    Hope this helps

8. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Yes, May (and dp65), but this wrist snapping talk is very deeply rooted. It is technically incorrect. The power manily comes from the pronation/supination movement of your fore-arm. However, it is often easier to visualise this as "snapping" the wrist even though it's really a rotation. I guess that's why the term lives on, even among coaches who really ought to know better!

9. May

May Guest

Thanx Mag.