how can i get faster and more accurate footwork? and some other aspecs

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by buhavoc13, Dec 18, 2011.

1. buhavoc13

buhavoc13 Regular Member

I've done some searching but the forum show unrelated topics....
    i need help if someone can teach me some drills or exercises i can perform at home or in my own back yard to improve the following:

1a).my foot work, i think is not fast enough, so some times i make a mistake by lifting to mid court and they hit a clear right away and i cant get to the shuttle in time. so suggestions to make my steps faster and more efficient?
    1b).sometimes i panic and my footwork gets mixed up also causing me to take longer to return the shuttle. anyways to keep my footwork clean?
    2.how can i improve my judgement of the shuttle more? sometimes i consecutively hit the shuttle with the frame of my racket by accident.
    3. BACKHAND!!!! my backhand sucks!! even though im pretty good with my around the head shots(i pretty much always use it) i occasionally bump into the times where im helpless and the only option is a backhand drop or clear but i can never hit the shuttle right...it always feels really awkward when i hit it. most of the time thats how i lose points.
    4.sigh* ive always been a aggressive player so i attack at any chance...its works out pretty well till i screw up a shot and the opponent starts attacking.im really bad at smash blocking/returning, i always end up in some awkward position desperatly trying to return the shuttle but failing. any tips on: defending stance,way to hold racket would help. (i usually stand with my racket at waist height and slightly biased towards the backhand side. my feet is the racket foot behind the other foot)

need some ways to improve my wrist and arm power(can never have too much :p ) anyother ways other than dumbells???

i hope you guys dont mind helping out a newbie :p

2. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

1) shadow badminton drills.
    2 and 3 seems to be a problem w yr grip. Learn how to grip properly by searching videos on youtube or on this site. You have to be able to hold the racket such that it is a natural extension of yr hand.
    4) defending stance is mostly feet side by side, sometimes the racket foot is half a foot behind or forward the other (depending on the incoming direction of the birdie. Racket in the middle of the body, ready to go either backhand or forehand block/return of smash.

3. buhavoc13

buhavoc13 Regular Member

I already do shadow drillsFor the back hand I hold it the same way for other back hand shots...I can never get the clear ,so I end up doing a poor drop shot :pAnd is there anyways to increase my reflexes and judgment of the where the shuttle is going go when I'm defending?Thanks for replying

4. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

for your footwork issue, i would try to get better technique. if u can, u can even try doing jumpropes to build leg strength.

consciously thinking of the correct footwork pattern might help (or might not but try it out)
    to improve ur timing just practice hitting shots i guess, until you are comfortable hitting almost any shots
    backhand: try to get correct technique (ask a strong player how to do it or get a coach) and just practice. cant do much if you dont have proper technique. theres also videos on youtube about backhands.
    if you want to improve defense, i suggest hitting a shuttle with the wall. better reactions and backhands. for defense, time a split and lower yourself a bit so you can reach the shuttle. use a backhand grip and backhand shot unless its on your forehand side.
    and to improve wrist strength and stuff, try the armchair excercises here http://badminton-coach.co.uk/128/armchair-exercises-to-improve-your-game-lesson-one-grip/

5. buhavoc13

buhavoc13 Regular Member

6. raistian

raistian Regular Member

The basics: lose weight, increase leg muscles strength, increase flexibility on your waist, right shoulder (if right handed) and wrist.

Technique: like already mentioned, work on footwork - shadow steps. Work on your backhand TIMING. If you can do a backhand clear but it feels awkward, it's timing the sweet spot.

The mind: you have to have the zen - you're not angry, worry or panic. You're aggressive to a limit, enough to push yourself faster but have a clear mind of what's happening in the court (where your partner is, where the enemies are, etc). Like Charles Xavier said: the place between anger and serenity :)

7. buhavoc13

buhavoc13 Regular Member

lol im pretty skinny so im not worrying about losing weight...

ive noticed from the videos of double matches i watch, that on serve, the receiving player likes to stand really close to the net so they immediately push the shuttle back. wouldnt this be a bad position to be in for if the serving player does a flick serve??? I'm just wondering what technique the receiving player use to control that opening at the back. the professionals do it so im sure there is a reason behind it.

8. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    standing in front allows them to attack short and long serves, but it requires you to be very athletic. So if you're still struggling with footwork and technique, I suggest you spend a LOT of time working on the basics before you start standing up front only to have birds get lobbed over you.

9. buhavoc13

buhavoc13 Regular Member

Yes I know that, I'm just asking HOW do they return the shuttle if a flick serve was performed.

10. jajvirta

jajvirta Regular Member

Programmer
    Basically it's because the service box of doubles match is shorter so it's easier for the receiver to reach the flick serve.

If the receiver happens to know that the serve is going to be a flick serve, he wouldn't have any trouble reaching the shuttle. There's enough time to take one step back, jump and smash the shuttle. The trouble is that often the receiver is assuming a short serve and is already moving his body forward right at the moment of the serve. If at this point the server is able to switch to a flick serve, then the receiver is too late and indeed has trouble receiving the flick serve.

11. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

i don't understand the question? they do a step back, jump and usually smash. easy in theory!
    if you're not fast enough to do that, work harder on your speed or receive the shuttle further away from the net (at the cost of not being able to attack...).
    beginners usually stand like 0.5-1m behind the service line when receiving the shuttle in doubles. the better you get, the nearer you move to the net/service line. good players just stand as close to the service line as possible without touching it...
    beginners usually have to lift the shuttle because they hit it far below the net. good players hit the shuttle at the highest point possible and try to push it/kill it/netdrop it. that's the reason to stand close to the net...

12. buhavoc13

buhavoc13 Regular Member

Okay That answers my question thanks

13. buhavoc13

buhavoc13 Regular Member

ive been playing more and noticed my reaction time and judgment are abit slow when defending...are there any exercises i can do at home to improve. (reaction time and judgment of direction)

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Squat down to lower stance. Shorten grip. Split step when opponent strikes. Try to anticipate the direction and type of shot judging by the position of his body and racket head.

15. buhavoc13

buhavoc13 Regular Member

split step? but are there any exercises i can do to improve my reactions though?

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  17. buhavoc13

buhavoc13 Regular Member

ive seen that already...right now im asking how can i improve my reaction time to return or go hit a shuttle.

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    If you don't train your muscles and body, your reaction time ain't going nowhere. Fast-twitch muscles are something very few people are naturally blessed with; the rest of us mere mortals have to work at it.

Your thread title mentions faster and accurate footwork. Accurate footwork is not something you can just mimic by watching others. You have got to practise. The necessity to train and practise is to allow you body to do it by rote when the time comes. The rote training achieves this: a) it allows your body to get into position in time while, b) your mind figures out what you want to do when you get there.

19. buhavoc13

buhavoc13 Regular Member

Yes I'm starting to train in those aspics too, just want to make sure I'm covering all I can :p

20. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

easy way to train your reaction (and defence) was mentioned earlier. just solo practise hitting the bird aganst the wall, it'll sometimes bounce back in an unexpected angle. start at 3 meters then move closer as you get better and increase the frequency of your hits too. try smash and "clear" back towards you.

p/s use a plastic shuttle as a feather one wont last very long for this drill :p