what if...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Iwan, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

You are 20 yrs old, play badminton at an intermediate level and aiming to be a pro? Do you think its too late? Or would you give it a go?

2. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

Bit of an open ended question there. Depends on talent and the way they play etc. Bare in mind, Colin Haughton didnt start playing badminton till he was 16....

Matt

3. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    It really depends on the person. If you have the ability to learn and build up yourself
    and have a higher potential than the others then why not? especially if your a fast learner and adopt quickly to the need. Some people no matter how long they play and practice just can't improve no longer coz they have reached their higest potential in his/her game. PROs are only a handful of individuals that exceeded or surpassed an average or an above average person's limit potential by a given margin.

4. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Come play for Canada! :D One of our best women's players of all time is Denyse Julien, and she is over 40 years old. She's our 2nd WS entry for World Championships, and 2nd entry for WD.

Here is an article about her: http://www.worldbadminton.net/getstory.asp?id=520.

Phil

5. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

How do I say this gently? I don't think I can. I'm afraid the short answer is most definately NOT.

Denyse Julien would definately not have been merely an intermediate player when she was 20, no matter how you define "intermediate".

6. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    it's never too late.... part of being a professional at badminton is you earn your living through it... whether it is coaching or playing is another question....

i think a better question would be, at that age is it possible to be world class...

you could simply go to a country that has like... NO badminton players and go be the national champ there...

7. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    with a strong enough conviction, I am sure you can do it. The level of play would just depends on how much effort that individual is willing to put into the training.

8. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

well, to be honest, I've had a little too much of studying :D since two years ago I've wanted to start training professionally. But I couldn't find the chance to ask my parents. But now that they asked me to go back to Indo for a year, it feels like a path opened up :)

I want to train full days six days a week, I don't know if I'll give up half way or keep on going, but I want to give it a shot. Right now there's no way I can get into Pelatnas (Indonesia's national sports academy). But I thought that if I keep training with a private coach for a year or two, maybe I can make it (private coaching is cheap here in Indo...). Even if I don't, at least I would know what it feels like to be giving something your best shot :) If I do finish the two years training without giving up that is :rolleyes:

I'll be back in Indo on Sunday... Hopefully my dad would let me train... future looks rather bleak right now... I have to keep looking upwards though :mad: Thanks for the encouragement guys!~

9. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    good luck to you friend, it'll be a tough route, but you just gotta keep your chin up and remember what you're doing this for.. to complete your dream. its easier said than done, thats for sure. there is no doubt tough competition in indo, but BF's cheering for you, i'm pretty sure. :D

Matt : no offense but Haughton isn't exactly a dominating force at world class :p

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Actually, that brings up a point I meant to discuss a while back. Haughton has done very well to get to the stage he is at when starting the game at 16 years old.

It would be extremely interesting to see his background in further detail to see how he managed to get so far considering facilities for badminton training in England are not as advanced as in the Far East.

I'd like to know:
    did he play any other sports before 16 years old (and what were they)?
    how often did he train at 16 years old
    who was the trainer or trainers
    how quickly did he rise up the rankings
    at what age did he decide to turn pro

all these could provide some idea of what to expect for Iwan's case. And you never know, Iwan might end up as Australia's no.1 (or higher)!

11. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Hahaha, Cheung... if my friends here in Australia see all this, they'll laugh their heads off :D it's a far off dream that I'm trying to catch.

12. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

It's never too late at all!! I would have kept going but because of my injury i got from playing badminton, it has stopped me from progressing and now I am just coming back out of it after 2 years of suffering.

My uncle from Malaysia, in Perak, hit his peak in his early 30s - winning the Perak open state tournament 3 times in a row. He didn't go and play for the nationals or even international because he had to support his family at the same time. However, he played against top malaysian players, who played internationally, during his peak, which he said that he beated most of them. :eek: I'm still not convinced but it but i know he wouldn't lie since he has so many trophies and medals at his house.

I would say that it all boils down to on how supportive the people who are close to you (family and close friends), that would dedicate their time for you to proceed and how motivated you are towards the sport inorder to make yourself a pro.

Best of luck! :)

13. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

It's nice to be supportive and all, but the premise was along the lines of "can someone who is 20 and only intermediate level (what I would call lower county level or high division local league player) progress to the level where they can earn a living playing badminton"?

Examples of exceptional players that are good in their 30's and 40's are not relevant. The key is how good they were in their formative years, ie teens to early twenties. Can anyone think of a pro who, for all intents and purposes, didn't start playing properly till after 20?

Wayne Young
    Oxford, UK