Fun Tournament in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Traum, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hello folks. I have just started the process of planning a fun tournament in Vancouver, and I would like to get some input from my fellow BFers.

The burning question in my head is whether the informal tourney should take place in late August or early September. Presumably, August might be a better time for the students among us since school starts in September. However, late August is also a time for family vacation and stuff, so early September might be a better choice after all.

The intended format of the tournament is to have 32 teams of "open" doubles (men, women & mixed all play together) playing in a preliminary round of round robin games, after which an elimination round would take place for the top 16 teams. The target audience is really just anyone who enjoys a game of badminton, but past experience has shown that the tournament does attract at least a few good teams, with some people coming from VRC.

And most importantly, being a fun tournament, there will numerous draw prizes. In the last tournament, there was around $200 worth of badminton supplies as draw prizes. So even if you didn't quite make it to the championship game, there might still be something for you. A registration fee of around $15 will be charged.

So would anyone from BF be interested?

-Rick

2. TTT

TTT Regular Member

I'm guessing chihong will win all the prizes again...hehe

I can't join because I suckkkk

3. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    how about telling us something we don't already know;) ..LOL..jk

#3 SmashingBird, Jul 3, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2003
  4. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hey TTT. Don't let your skill level hold you back. This is going to be a fun tournament after all, and there'll be some great draw prizes to be won!

-Rick

5. TTT

TTT Regular Member

haha...I'm pretty sure the ppl watching me play will have fun laughing at me swinging and missing. I know a couple of people who went last time....the level is simply too high for me, and it's gonna be like 15-0. But I think I'll come and watch though....

hm...isn't kinda unfair to have men, women & mixed all played together??

6. TTT

TTT Regular Member

I'll kick ur ass one day. :D

7. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Yes, it's absolutely unfair for us guys to play against the women and mixed teams! If we win, someone will say we picked on the ladies. And if we lost, we'll become the laughing stock of everyone else! :D

The real reason is, I don't think I can find enough people to fill up 3 different draws, so everything has to be bundled together. And besides, I wouldn't ever underestimate the ladies. They generally have a lot more finesse than us dudes, and some of them can kick my butt without ever smashing once!

-Rick

#7 Traum, Jul 4, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2003
  8. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    now, that is what i call news:D

9. chihong

chihong Regular Member

hey, I didn't win all the prizes, but I confess I did win the big draw..hee...

I didn't get the T-shirts though (they were reserved for the championship team)!!! Now this time I will aim for them..oh Rick, can you get the Nike ones, I like those.. :)

Anyway, I think the last tournament was very fun. Afterall, where else can you find a touranment that a man double team would compete head against head with a woman double team :D

10. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Due to a number of technical difficulties (Did you know that lotsa people get married in August/September? Apparently, I didn't.), I regret to inform you that the fun tournament would have to be postponed. I'll try to schedule it for October, and I'll keep everyone up-to-date by posting the latest details here.

-Rick

11. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    A badminton tournament being postponed due to weddings? Oh geez, what is the world coming to! :D

12. Takamsda

Takamsda Regular Member

Professional Badminton Racket Stringer at Noah's B
    I wanna play!!!.
    Any Singles games?

I just missed the one the late June hosted by Douglas(I was in LA)
    I so want to play any tournament now.

13. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hey Takamsda. Unfortunately, the tournament would only be a doubles event. It is more cost-effective for the participants that way. It is a fun tournament after all, and I don't want cost to become a prohibitive factor for those who just want to enjoy a few competitive games.

But if you are interested, just keep an eye out for updates in this thread. I'll be posting updates as soon as I work out the details.

-Rick

#13 Traum, Jul 11, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2003
  14. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Sorry Rick, I thought this might be more suitable here.

I think it is a great idea! and if you do get enough folks (32 max) then basically you got the whole four courts and I am sure Darryl wouldn't mind (might be better if you let him know in advance too).

As for the set up, I would proposed that we break the group up into groups of 4 (so we will have 8 groups over 4 courts) and we can arrange two sets of 4 groups each (A & B). Each group will play 3 games (interchanging partners within the group) and the top player from each group (a total of 8) will move to the next round. The next round will consists of the top players from each of the 4 groups in the two sets A & B (here we can arrange the mix by using A1 B2 A3 B4 and B1 A2 B3 B4, etc) to form the two groups of 4. Again they will play 3 games (interchanging partners) over two courts this time. The other 2 courts can be utilized by the players knocked out of the first round. The two top players from each group in the second round will then go into the final round. Again, a 3 game match to be played (interchanging partners) on one court with the top player declared the winner.

Only problem is that I think we will require 4 hours instead of 3 so we might have to declare 2 winners (one from each group in round 2). Top player in each group is determined by games won followed by total points won followed by points given. For example, you might have 3 players in each group winning the same number of games (1 win 2 losses) so you will have to total the points from the games to declare the top player. If there is a tie, then you look at the points each player has given up. The time used is an average of 20 min/game so we have 3 games/hour which will allow us to use the four courts in the first 2 hours for the first round and then the final (round 2) take place in the last hour of the drop in sessions.

15. Absinthe

Absinthe Regular Member

PeBuluTangkis + Business Owner + International Rec
    I'm in for doubles.
    Anyone interested to become my partner? :)

16. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hey folks. Sorry about the late reply. I've been a little busy this week.

The format suggested by WWC should work (as in, fit in 2.5 to 3 hours) if we are willing to play only up to 11 points for each game. In certain ways, I think 11 points per game might even be good for ourselves. I don't know about you guys, but I am not too sure if I have the stamina to play 3 games of 15 points back to back.

The second thing to consider is when we want to do this. For some reason, mid-August seems like a good time to me. Of course, the final date will have to depend on when we can get some court time, but if we are really gonna invade ClearOne in the evening, I don't think it would be too difficult to get a good date.

So let's hear some feedback before we proceed?

-Rick

17. 15Love

15Love Regular Member

software developer, lab tech
    You should probably talk to Darryl about booking courts for a tournament at ClearOne. I think there are only 2 courts available during the drop in times in the evenings and he has training groups that run to at least 730 on most evenings. It might be easier to book some courts for a four hour block during the day on a weekend.

18. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Yes, I'll definitely talk to Darryl about booking courts for the tournament. We can't just march in and take over all their courts during their evening drop-in sessions. :D But the important thing is to settle on a small range of dates first. After all, we do want a date when everyone (well... the more the better) can show up, right?

-Rick

#18 Traum, Jul 19, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2003
  19. SChan

SChan Regular Member

so what's happening with this tourney? it's been a while since an update? is the tourney still on?

20. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Sorry I haven't been keeping everyone informed. I've been a little busy myself handling some business issues, so I haven't had the chance to talk to Darryl yet. Also, when I found out that the VRC tournament is happening in mid-August (actually, today through Sunday, I believe), I didn't think it would be a good idea to have two tournaments happening at around the same time. Of course, I understand that our target audience would be somewhat different, but still, the timing is a little too close for my comfort.

I think I should be heading to ClearOne this weekend, so I'll see what kind of dates I can get.

-Rick