Some general rule questions

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by jackay, Dec 22, 2011.

1. jackay

jackay Regular Member

Hi All,

This is my first post, be nice :)

I only just started playing badminton recently, for a few months as a social player and I've got some question over the rules that I been told.

1. Between serve (my partner is the one serving), are you allowed to bend down for a quick stretch? Not lying on the floor or anything, but just a general back stretch. Is this not allowed?

2. From the rule book and other post I gathered that you can't move your feet while your opponent is ready to serve. But are you allowed to say...move your racket? Or upper body? I've been told to stay frozen...I just thought that would be quite odd?

Thanks guys :)

2. visor

visor Regular Member

1. Yes, but try not to do that after every point. :p. That would amount to delaying.

2. Yes, but make sure you don't cause a distraction to the server as that would be a fault.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Laws of Badminton 16.6

Hi jackay,

Welcome to BadmintonCentral !!! :):):)

Looks like you need the Laws of Badminton; Therefore, I shall send you the link (just click on it);

http://www.worldbadminton.com/rules/

Of course you can; but don't break any of the laws in 16.6 A player shall not:

16.6.1 deliberately cause delay in, or suspension of, play;

16.6.3 behave in an offensive manner;

Your opponents are probably finding your movements causing distraction. Therefore, they can say that they will only be ready after you have stopped moving about.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Why in Badminton you can't, but in Tennis you can

I am a Badminton coach in Australia, and many trainees often ask me why in Badminton you can't, but in Tennis you can.

Well, in Tennis when the receiver is moving about, the distraction is not as magnified because the receiver is far away from the server. In Badminton, the players are much closer together (and whatever movement we make, every player can see it clearer). Even if you move to scratch yourself, the server can stop serving (because of that scratching movement). :D:D:D

5. jackay

jackay Regular Member

Thanks everyone :)

I was stretching a bit because it was the first game really. I usually treat the first game as a warm up match. Except I found it weird when I was told that I shouldn't do a quick stretch between points. Most people that I play with don't mind as I only do it for the first couple of point. Except one person...? lol

With regarding to moving around, I pretty much stay frozen when I see my opponent is ready to serve for the next game. But I thought I ask the question as to why, but now I know... I guess I just like to know why to everything that I'm told hehehe :)

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Many players don't follow the laws and/or don't even know the laws of Badminton

Perhaps, that one person is the only person (out of all the persons you play with) that cares about and follows the Laws of Badminton.

In my playing experience, I noticed that many players don't follow the laws and/or don't even know the laws. Let me give you this very common example;

A server performs the Service but misses the shuttlecock, He then picks up the shuttlecock to try to serve again. When I tell him that he has committed a fault and the Service is now over, he tells me that he is shocked and surprised.

We cannot blame him, because he doesn't know Law 9.1.9.

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Many players don't know the Laws of Badminton

For another example, follow from this post located at;

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...(Finals-Day)-Sun-18-Dec?p=1814402#post1814402

8. jackay

jackay Regular Member

I have missed before but I gave the shuttlecock away as I should have. I haven't committed this offence. At the time I thought it was good sportsmanship, now I know it's part of the badminton law :)

But yes I know what you mean. Happy to be taught the right rules. :)

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's great that you understand.

Laws are laws, and we need to obey them.

But if ever you think that some laws are not correct or wrongly created; then get BWF to change them.

Here is an example;

In the past, the hitting of the shuttlecock with the frame of the racket was a 'FAULT'. Now, BWF allow players to hit the shuttlecock with any part of the racket. :cool::cool::cool:

#9 chris-ccc, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  10. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

i agree that rules r to be obey

BUT it oso depends which level of playing n who u r playing with
    for social playing or with friends..
    as long u enjoy the game, rules r maybe secondary.

currently, i still have friends who prefer to play the old 15 point service over system, would u say that they r not obeying the rules?

AND of course for higher level of playing such as tournament n etc, i agree we have to obey what is in the rule book to be fair.

;)

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Agree... We can play Badminton without applying the Laws of Badminton and we can even make up our own rules.

I have played such matches before (with players who are regular Tennis players). They couldn't get used to our Laws of Badminton (not just the scoring system, but in everything). Therefore, we played with the Laws of Tennis, except that we are using Badminton rackets and shuttlecock on a Badminton court. And I have to admit, it was FUN.

Let me tell you how enjoyable it was (although I was laughing throughout the match, while my Tennis friend was very serious trying to win the match).

Let me give you the examples;

* We do the Service like Tennis (Overhead, from behind the back line). Of course that Service is the Smash. :D:D:D
    * While my friend is tossing the shuttlecock up in the air to do the Jump Smash, I would be moving about in my Service Court anticipating where the Smash would hit the floor.
    * If the first Service is a Fault, the Server gets to do the 2nd Service.
    * Winning the first 2 rallies awards 15 points each, and the third rally, 10 points (Tennis Scoring System for a game).
    * A difference of 2 points when at Deuce (at 40-all).
    * We change ends after every game.
    * A Set is won when one wins 6 games first (but with a difference of 2 games, otherwise the Tie-Breaker will be used).
    * A Match is won when the first player has won 3 sets.

As you can see, everything is by the Laws of Tennis.

And what is so good about playing this way for us regular Badminton players? Answer: It's good for practicising the Jump Smash. :D:D:D

It's really FUN. Seriously, you have to try it. :D:D:D

#11 chris-ccc, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011