How can I improve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Cloud7z, Dec 23, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

2. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

3. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    you're pretty good considering you were playing during an earthquake :D so brave

4. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

Haha, I think the guy holding the camera was having a fit at the same time or something.

5. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    Is the gym floor slippery?

If not, I'd recommend you to take a look at this video:

http://youtu.be/uWxQ1HERI7I

I think your footwork lacks a bit of explosiveness, therefore leading you to become a bit late to your shots. If you can get earlier to your shots, I think you can create more solid shots. You also have some hesitation when it comes to reacting, but that can be fixed with some decent footwork and experience.

Last thing would be that your drops fall too far from the net. You want this kind of net drop: (skip to about 0:56)

http://youtu.be/cWblj6N0RD4

This type of net drop falls close to the net making your opponent run farther. This is the type of net drop you want for singles. Your drop shots have been falling to around the service line, so you friend didn't have to move too far to retrieve it.

Hoped this helped~

6. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

do u have a coach?maybe they can help u beta.

1st of all, i suggest u get a tripod to film this, unless u wan to get headache when viewing

my comments based on the videos:

too many unforced errors be it you or your opponent.
    there r even errors in serving as in serve out.
    many basic shots errors including drops failed to go over net.

your footwork need to improve as u seem very awkward when it comes to front court retrieving drops.

you have problem with when your opponent plays lob to your backcourt

overall yr stamina can be improved

one thing to note is that u either win point when your opponent have unforced error or u play to his backhand

u can capitalised more on playing to his backhand n oso maybe push him more to backcourt since your drop doesnt work so well

happy playing

7. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

What is the correct footwork for moving to the forecourt?

8. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

best is ask a coach teach u

have u oso tried to see if it is here?

http://www.badmintonconnect.com/videos/

9. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    The correct footwork for covering the front two corners (assuming you are NOT playing a net kill) is to perform a split step, the take a small step with your non racket foot, and then take a large lunge with your racket foot. The final lunge should not just be forwards, but upwards. By this, I mean that instead of just moving forwards, you should actually gain a little bit of height during the final lunge. The reason for this is that it allows you to land whilst coming directly downwards, thus you will be in a more balanced position to return to the centre of the court.

Remember good posture throughout the movement.

My personal opinion of your game, is that all of your footwork could be made more efficient. In particular, you recovery back to the centre of the court seems quite slow -instead of hitting and immediately recovering, it looks as though you are hitting, waiting for a while, and then "scuttling" back to the middle. Instead you should hit, land, and immediately take a large slow step back towards the centre of the court. If you have time, take a second large step towards the centre of the court. After performing one or two steps (slow, large steps) you should nearly be back in the middle. As your opponent hits their shot, you should complete your movement by performing the next split step. Please see my favourite drill for help developing this!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up5M-mirAcI

10. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

Cheers, but one question, what is the difference when preforming a net kill.

11. Dragonistear

Dragonistear Regular Member

You hop and brush the the bird off the net:p (see 2008 olympics lin dan owning LCW net drops)
    (again assuming your opponent isn't incompetent and gives you like a 2 feet high net drop or front court lift<- those you kill by just front court smashing)

12. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Dragonistear is correct. The footwork for a frontcourt net kill is in fact just a single step and jump (hop) off one foot. From your "base" which is slightly further forwards (you have probably just played tight net and hence kept your base further forwards), you perform a split step and then take one step on your dominant (racket) foot. Use this step to perform a powerful one legged jump into either corner (both corners are identical), hitting the shuttle just before or just as you land. You will land on the same foot.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Nice video of Wimbledon S&BC :) (I think that's the place). I would assume that the floor is not slippery on those courts and should be well maintained.

What I would say at this point is the footwork is weak in all aspects. It's difficult to explain in one post as it could form the subject of a book.

Would you have plans to visit HK at all? I can show you more...:D Demonstration will give you a better clarity.

14. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

:O How on earth did you know I was playing at Wimbledon :O.

Haha last time I went back to CHina was like 6 years ago :)

15. icecoldcoke

icecoldcoke Regular Member

Is your opponent on training?