Youth Badminton Tournament to raise money for World Vision

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by MBCLLAP, Dec 25, 2011.

1. MBCLLAP

MBCLLAP Regular Member

Badminton community, I am working on an initiative with the Toronto Multicultural Youth Council (www.TMYC.ca) to run a Youth Badminton Tournament to raise money for World Vision.

The tournament will take place on the Family Day Weekend (Feb 18, Feb 19, 2012) at Markham District High School. Tournament details will follow in the New Year.

I don’t have to convince you that supporting an event of this nature will help put badminton on the map as a major player in a sporting arena, achieve media exposure, and political alignment with governing bodies.

It is the hope that this will be an annual event of what I will call “The weekend where the badminton community gives back”.

It is my hope that the badminton community will support this event under a new word, “co-petition”. While we compete at a club and business level, on Family Day we will come together at a higher level, in cooperation for a bigger cause. Through “co-petition”, we give back.

Imagine Black Knight and Yonex having booths side by side in the same tournament to promote their products and sponsor the tournament. High Performance / profit clubs, such as Mandarin, Lee, Flying Dragon, Suria, Everyday Badminton etc., having booths side by side to support this event and promote their own programs.

Request for support and sponsorship:

If you own a badminton business or run a club (profit or non-profit), you can help. We are looking for sponsors and donations.

If you are interested in participating as a sponsor, please email me at president@markhambadminton.com

All sponsors will be given a booth at the event to promote their products and services.

We have secured the following sponsorships so far:

• Badminton Ontario has approved a $1000.00 budget to assist in this event
    • Markham Badminton Club and the Federation of Badminton Clubs have approved a budget to cover part of the venue
    • GS Promotion to sponsor all the t-shirts for volunteers

We are working on the following:
    1. Mayor and all Town Councilors to attend the event
    2. Media coverage by Fairchild and Rogers Local
    3. Newspaper coverage from SNAP Markham, Markham Economist, and the Chinese Ming Pao
    4. A police chief to set up a booth for safety awareness and internet safety
    5. A firefighter chief to set up a booth to educate people on fire prevention

2. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    Might I comment that TMYC is the Toronto Multicultural Youth Council as you well know. I am not sure who decided to raise money for World Vision. I realize that World Vision helps people all over the world in poverty but they are a Christian-based organization. This may stop people from multiple cultures and consequently multiple religions from joining this tournament.

3. MBCLLAP

MBCLLAP Regular Member

I was not aware that TMYC is a faith base organization. They came to me to help them, so I am helping them. I do know that they have sponsored an 11 year old boy named Djenebou from Mali and an 11 year old girl named Munkhdemberel from Mongolia. Regardless of one faith, I do not believe it should interfere with the enjoyment of a sport or helping out someone who is in need.

If I can be a bit bold and learn from one of my favorite philosopher, Mahatma Gandhi’s teaching, “All religions teach us to be good, to be kind, and to help someone who is in need. Whether you are a Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddha and etc, no matter what faith you are the final goal is to be a good person. Religion is just a path to get there. Does it matter what path you take, as long as you get there?”

4. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    I meant TMYC is not a faith-based organization. Rather World Vision is the Christian-based organization. My point was TMYC is multicultural and to donate all proceeds to one religious based organization is the issue I was trying to unveil.

I am not trying to be hostile, I just thought I would bring up the issue. I think what you are doing is awesome as well as what TMYC is, it is just the end-game. Where the money goes may believe it or not be something to think about. I will not dwelve into the topic of religion as it is not what this is about.

5. MBCLLAP

MBCLLAP Regular Member

Thank You, I did not know that. I guess there would not be any harm done as long as they are continuing to sponsoring and helping children who are in need.