Anyone in Edmonton???

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by John_Luu, Jul 2, 2003.

1. John_Luu

John_Luu Regular Member

Tangent Sports Sales/Marketing
    Just wondering. How many people who read this forum are from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada?

2. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

3. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Does 1 hr away from Big E count?

4. John_Luu

John_Luu Regular Member

Reason why I asked about Edmonton Players

(I don't know if this breaks any forum rules, but if it does, I'm sorry in advance)
    Hey all,

Sure, one hour from the Big E counts. Sorry 'bout the late reply.... but I was in Calgary for a bit. Anyways, as Winex Western Canada has said before, I'm John, and currently I'm in the proccess of starting up a rackets store in Edmonton. The store is called Tangent Sports, so www.tangentsports.com (no... it's not up, we're still hammering out the details with an ISP). Most of the business will be online, but we'll cater to the local market by going to clubs. So, we are not a bricks and mortar store. Currently we goto NAIT and U of A. I'm just curious how many people would be interested in trying out Karakal and Winex Demo's and maybe be interested in buying from us and as well as the clubs you play at. The store is slowly coming together so please be patient. So, if you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM. This message is just for a heads up. Thanks very much.

5. yonexfanatic

Re: Reason why I asked about Edmonton Players

Nice, i'd definately check out your "company". Like you said, you guys goto NAIT and U of A and i actually play at both places..however more at NAIT than the U. If you could tell me, when do you go to NAIT? There is a chinese/multicultural badminton club that plays at the NAIT gym and that's when I go to NAIT, however if there is another session of badminton going on at NAIT that I don't know about..and so happens you visit that one instead, I'm not sure if i'd be able to check out ur products.

I'm not a big Karakal fan and I haven't really played with many winex rackets but like you said, you're offering demo's if i'm not mistaken? ...and i would be glad to try them out in case i change my opinion of these rackets. Maybe i'll cya around

6. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    John Luu, You just answered my question that I posted in another thread regarding a little lower called "Yonex Alberta #1 Series." I would definitely be interested in checking out your new store and the website when they're up. It's about time Sweet Spots had some competition. :) I've tried out Karakal rackets before such as the Ti-70(?) and it felt pretty good and really light and responsive.
    I think many others will show interest in a new baddy store in Edmonton also.

Good luck on your store!

7. John_Luu

John_Luu Regular Member

Yonex Fanatic Reply

If you play at U of A.... you know that there's Education and E19. I play in Education during the regular EDBA season and E19 during the summer. I do play at NAIT. If you are apart of the Chinese Club that plays on Sundays, you're the people who USED to play past your court times and we had to kick you guys out!
    But things are better now since Mark Lee does his Jr Training thing after you guys finish and Mark Lee is better for respecting our playing time ;)
    But of course... that's just generalizing ;)

Anyways, I'm with the group that plays after the Chinese Club. Unfortunately, that group is invite only and because I don't do any of the invites, I can't invite you to play along, although, if you're interested, I could go to NAIT before hand and let you demo some of the rackets out. However the Karakal demo's have to be shipped back soon. The reason for that is, the demo's that I have right now are not scheduled for release until September. And they might change the paint schemes/designs on them, so I do have to ship them back. With Winex, however, Winex Western Canada has been generous in offering me a longer loan time with his rackets and so if you're interested in trying out the:
    Mighty Muscle 200
    Mighty Muscle 100
    Mia Audina Ti-01 (Defensive)
    Ti-19
    Ti-09
    And the SOTX Woven 7, please PM me and we can see what we can do. Thanks for you interest. Hope to see you around.

8. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

student, Kumon Math Marker (w00t!)

Hey hey, I play at the RG club.

I'd be quite interested in checking out some of ur demos, definitely keep us updated on the status of ur website/store.

Lol, it'd prolly be great business for you if you were able to get some of the players at my club to demo ur racquets, as it's pretty much all the latest yonex equipment at my club. However, I don't have any idea on how you'd bring ur stuff to one of our summer camps or training sessions without running into trouble with the administration or coaches, who are mainly yonex sponsored, with a few assistants being forza sponsored.

But it's great to kno that there's another alternative now for baddy equipment, keep up the good work! :D

9. John_Luu

John_Luu Regular Member

Hi Hugo,
    First off, where are you from?
    Karakal is definitely an aquired taste. It takes awhile to get used to the racket, just because of it's balance and weight. But if you're interested in trying out Karakal, I have the upcoming models in for demo, but I do have to return them soon. So if you are interested, PM me and we could setup a time for you to try them out. =)

As for competing against Sweet Spot.... I don't know if we're really competing against Sweet Spot. We're actually an online retailer first. We goto clubs, so we can promote the online store, and pay homage to the people who first started to play with us, when nobody would (you gotta start somewhere, right?). We've actually have been selling Karakal at clubs for about 2 years now, but the thing is that we've never really been serious about it, until we got a lot of inquiries about Karakal. But since I've brought home some Winex Demo's from my west coast trip, there's been more of an interest for us selling locally. So maybe one day.... we'll evetually compete against Sweet Spot, but until we get a ludicris amount of money, we'll just be an online store and club to club sales.

Okay, so I might have steered alittle off topic here.... and this post might not have even made any sense. I'm kinda in a rush to have lunch and meet my stringer..... ;)

10. John_Luu

John_Luu Regular Member

Re: ...

Hi Orangmaan,
    How are you doing? Currently, I do go out and show demo's, but currently, I just do them at the U of A. If you're interested in coming out, just let me know. I'll do my best to meet up with you. If you're interested in trying out the Karakal line before it officially comes out, the you only have one more week left to do so. So please PM me if you're interested in trying rackets, or if you just wanna meet up and play anytime. On a side note, RG is Royal Glenora? I think we'd pretty much be kicked out of the building before anything ;)
    Anyways, thanks for you interest and I hope to hear from you soon.

11. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Hi John,

Well, I'm in no big rush right now as my baddy season in town here starts in at least 2 more months! So, I will just see what you offer on your webpage and take a look from there because I rarely get a chance to make it in to the city with my busy schedule.
    So, in regards to your store, in the beginning it's going to be a type of online shop where there's going to be no storefront, as in people can't actually walk into the shop to look/try/buy?

I do wish I was in Edmonton as then I could play badminton all year round. I currently live in a small town 100 km East of Eddy called Vegreville. And let's just say badminton is not one of the town's favorite sports! :(

12. John_Luu

John_Luu Regular Member

That's correct There is no store you can walk into. But like I said, if you are in Edmonton we will be more than happy to let you try out our demo's. We enjoy catering to the local market, just because we've had some really good feed back. Also I've made a couple of road trips to Calgary and there seems to be some interest from Calgary. Haven't sold anything to anyone in Calgary yet, but meeting new people is always fun ;)

But as you said, you're a busy guy and I don't doubt that. If you're ever in town though, make sure you drop me a line. I will do an announcement like thing when we finally launch online. Hopefully it'll live up to the semi-hype I'm putting behind it ;)

Catch you later.

13. yonexfanatic

Hey John,

Yeah, it's been awhile since I've played at the chinese club...but I do remember when they did go past their desiginated time slot...no worries, I was one of the people that left on time :D. I do remember when I was playing at NAIT, i stayed a couple of times after to watch some of the NAIT people play like austin, steve, peter, ben...dont' know if you know them? probably do....actually last weekend, i saw mark lee's jr group training at nait..guess it's just for the summer..used to get some training from him..while ago..now it's at the derrick club.

Anyways, back on track...how often do you go to the U? I'm actually going with a few of my friends this thursday to play in either E19 or the butterdome at around 6pm (however i dislike the dome cause of the court material)...maybe if you're there, I'll check out some rackets....like you said, the karakal ones need to be shipped back? that's okay, i'm actually more interested in the winex models..but anyhow..

If i see you, till then.

14. John_Luu

John_Luu Regular Member

Austin, I can say is a very good friend of mine. He's probally the best player that I know. Steve I know but he doesn't know me. Peter? I don't know who Peter is. Ben I know, he lets me play with him and hang out with him from time to time ;). But Ben's a nice guy. That's the group that invites me to play with them. I'm, however, the worst player that plays at NAIT on Sunday. I go often to the U. I was there monday and I was there today. I'll probally be there on Wed and Thurs. I will be there on Friday, but just to hang out with Austin and his gal, since they don't live in Edmonton anymore. So..... just ask around for John and I guess you'll eventually find me. Maybe if you could also give me your name, so I know who I'm talking to. I might have played with you before. ;)
    Anyways. Lemme know. See you around.

15. yonexfanatic

Hey John,

Check your PM. Hmmm, you've probably haevn't played me before..but i guess we never know, maybe I haev. Anyways, i'll be at the U tonight, however my friend wants to play in the butterdome instead of E19 cause he thinks the courts in E19 are too slippery..I'll try to stop by E19 and play there if I get the chance.

16. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

student, Kumon Math Marker (w00t!)

Hey hey, just wondering if there's any updates on the new badminton shop. Anybody checked out the demos yet?