Should Lin Dan look forward to Busan 2014 & Rio 2016?

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Miqilin7, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Just a random thought coming from my head, Lin Dan is only 28 year-old when he participates in the London Olympics 2012 and he would be around 32 years old by the time year 2016 arrived. This should give him an extra incentive to carry on playing to win more honours for CHN plus it would be interesting to see him face the new wave of youngsters to challenge him on court.

We know for sure Lin Dan will not be allowed to retire earlier than 2013 having known China was selected to host the BWF World Championship in Guangzhou (Of all places, why Guangzhou!!). I am sure on the motivation side, he shall look forward to face LCW again to deny him another chance to win the world title. Looking beyond this, by right he should have some guns and a little bit of energy left in him to stay fit until 2016 OG. It would be nice to see him around a little longer though.

What are your thoughts peeps :p?

2. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Correction on the title itself. It should be Incheon 2014 instead of Busan. :D:D:D

3. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    At the end of 2012, Cai Yun, Fu Haifeng, Chen Jin and Bao Chunlai have already retired. The dream team for Thomas Cup is over and Lin Dan has to settle in with a new crop of Chinese Youngster.

Super Dan Beyond !

1273407184_inner_banner.jpg

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    u sure about his age?haha

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    LD won't last when XXF takes over the stage. ;)

6. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Come on, with the science and staff availability so advanced I am sure Lin Dan and CBA could find ways to extend his career lifespan by maintaining his fitness and durability in tough matches. He has the full skill and psychological package hence Tang XH doesn't have to be there in person to guide him in any predicament.

Have a good look at Ryan Giggs? He is 38 years old and still playing top quality football. I feel it is a pity for Lin Dan to quit in 2012 as it does seem too early and so much more he could achieve to raise his divine benchmark even higher. Rest assured, we will see him in action again in Guangzhou 2013 with the main objective is to help Chen Long beat LCW. Can't you imagine LCW winning the hollow victory with Lin Dan's absence and standing on the victory podium in front of Xie Xing Fang's homecrowd. It must be awkward and unacceptable to the Chinese side.

7. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    To add on that, I am sure LCW wouldn't want to win it without beating Lin Dan either because that will meaningless to him and will go down in the history as a last cowardly attempt to win the elusive title (Well i use cowardly because Bolehers tend to use harsh terms on LCW when it comes to criticisms)

8. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    BEIJING - Chinese super "Grand Slam" shuttler Lin Dan said late Apple Inc founder Steve Jobs has inspired him.Having read the departed IT guru's biography, "Super Dan" believes Jobs was a person who changed the world with his dreams. Lin wants to have a similar influence on the sport of badminton through his charisma."Although he (Jobs) had nothing to do with sports, I was deeply inspired by his biography. We are often thinking about how to further promote badminton through our influence and how to let more people fall in love with the dancing white shuttlecock," said Lin during a recent TV interview.The star shuttler read the book during scant moments of leisure time off the court.Lin had a superb 2011. He lifted his fourth World Championship trophy at Wembley Arena, the same venue that will host the badminton competition at the 2012 Olympics. He also completed an unparalleled super "Grand Slam" by beating teammate Chen Long in the final of the BWF World Superseries Finals on Dec 18.But in Lin's eyes, tennis ace Li Na should be regarded as the country's outstanding performer this year."Though her championship is different from those we have won at the Olympics, she has changed the way the world values China's sport. I hope many other (Chinese) can achieve this, too," said Lin.Lin also revealed his old teammate Bao Chunlai's sudden retirement shocked him, but he understood the grind of competitive sports.Speaking of his plans for next year, Lin said his focus was on the London Olympics."I am also planning for my future. I hope to promote badminton in a better way in the years to come, but right now I know many fans out there hope that I can continue to play," said Lin.China Daily

9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    When it is time to go, it's time, can't really do much. XXF would be angry. ;)

Am sure LD has 'missed' out a lot already. You think he cares to stay with the money he got? Would you? ;)

10. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    He had almost everything a sport celebrity could have ever desired. Endorsements, fame, and big money flowing into his pocket and all he cares about is to enjoy playing badminton in order to lift the pressure of him. So we are seeing a different kind of Lin Dan compared to what he was like in 2008. He needs to stay injury free and be physically prepared to face the opponents including LCW in London 2012. We have seen he has been slower than he used to be and doesn't produce many explosive smashes. It might be another stunt show by Super Dan himself or maybe he gradually finding rhythm back into the game.

Talk about age, he is not that "old" la. If "Aunty" Zhang Ning could defend her Olympic gold at the age of 33, what makes us doubt Lin Dan's capability to defend it for the third time MAYBE let's say if he wins London 2012. So it's reasonable and plausible to think Lin Dan should harbour some thoughts about continuing until Rio 2016 before hanging up his racket. After all by 2016, IOC will scrap badminton from the OG event therefore why shouldn't Lin Dan give the fans something to cheer about before the sports gets demoted in status quo

11. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Correction, Lin Dan will be 29 this year. But then, at 33 of course he can still keep playing at the top level if he wants to. However, what is left for there to motivate him to continue? He has achieved everything that a badminton player could achieve in his whole life. What is the point of playing if you're not motivated?
    About Chen Jin, I dare say Chen Jin will still be around, he's a few years younger than LD.

12. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Who bothers about Chen Jin being around, every now and then he has always been regarded as LYB as the third MS and never the true successor to Lin Dan.

Lin Dan should further delay his retirement plan and add more glory to his already illustrious career. As long as his legs and body can take, he can do it if he says so. Motivation can find its sources somehow and he will find a way. There's so much more for him to achieve in the coming years. Listed a few things he hasn't accomplished prior to the old timer:

i) He and Morten Frost are on level terms with the number All England titles under their name. Another win in the event will make Lin Dan the first person to secure five titles in the modern era. Forget about Hartono, he is a monster when badminton was in it's dark ages.

ii) Be the first and only player to see his National Team win the Thomas Cup and Sudirman Cup five times in a row.

iii) Add his name in the list of champions for Malaysia and Indonesia Opens. I believe he should win those remaining SS titles hands down without any Chinese tricks involved.

iv) Defend his Asian Games Gold in Incheon 2014. That would tell Taufik to stfu :)

So let's not assume his journey has ended in Liuzhou or London. He can find other motivations sourced from the above objectives.

13. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

He doesn't seem to give a damn about breaking records. Remember the 2010 AE, where he would match Rudy Hartono's feat if he won? He lost to Bao Chunlai. But you are saying that Lin Dan should do this and that, but the thing is if he has no plans to do it, why should he do it? Staying motivated is never easy when you have won everything. Partly why Peter can hang around for so long would also be because he hasn't won big titles outside of the AE. :)

I'm not saying that I want Lin Dan to retire, my thoughts are like yours, wish that LD and LCW can continue their epic rivalry and so on but Lin Dan shouldn't stay on just to please the fans if there is really no need to.

14. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    The loss to Bao Chunlai was intentional, there I said it !! I hope i dont get bashed harshly by Bao's hardcore fans but really Lin Dan was giving the match away to Bao Chunlai so he could move on to have another go at Lee Chong Wei in the final of the 100th All England. Lin Dan treats Bao as his best friend or more than that, a bro. What came unexpectedly was Tago's emergence as the new top player which disappointed Bao in the semis.

Lin Dan could aim for his fifth World Championship title in 2013 to equal the tally of Park Joo Bong who won the most number World Titles (2 from MD and 3 XD). At the moment himself, Cai-Fu and Gao Ling were tied at 4. This World Championship could be another event that could motivate him to achieve that feat and more so it's in Guangzhou, he won't want to disappoint the crowd and his wife by not winning it duh. He has so much more to offer to the world and himself not just the fans.

15. axl886

axl886 Regular Member

Really? I didn't know that. :(

16. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Is there a source for this? Why would they do such a thing.

17. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Either Miqilin7 is an oracle, works for IOC or simply making this claim up...I am leaning towards the third choice:D

18. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Olympic and world champion Lin Dan reached the quarter-finals of the All-England Open and revealed that he may not retire after the London Olympics.

Yes I always believe he can achieve much more than what he has already achieve as the greatest player since he is only 28 turning 29 this year. Inspired by Gade, I dont see why he should think of retiring if he keeps playing like this .

He has become more accomplished as player than Morten Frost and Liem Swie King in the Open Era.

Now the next target is to defend his World Title in the Guangzhou to match Park Joo Bong who by the way won the titles from two different categories. There's no doubt he could win it if he has the true desire to do so....

He should contemplate playing in Rio 2016 too but maybe this time not as first seed since he should pass the baton over to his younger teammates.

19. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Many people emphasize Lin Dan's powerful smash, but I would say what makes Lin Dan's attack lethal is his play strategy on court. Lin Dan is very smart in how to strategically outmaneuver his opponent before giving his killing shots. His level of play wisdom is something other top players have yet achieved. As long as Lin Dan is still physically fit, I can't think of a reason why he should not continue playing for a few more years.

20. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Actually, like some people always saying that in CBA, it is more towards what they want you to do, rather than what do you want to do as a player ....

As badminton fans, we would like to watch a match where high level of badminton being displayed by two great duos or athletes, by adding LD for Busan 2014 & Rio 2016 this is what we as badminton fans always looking forward to..