Why Can't China Produce Good Men's Doubles Pairs?

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Miqilin7, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    A powerhouse nation with 1.3 billion population and badminton being one of their most famous sports, I can't believe why China couldn't dominate at all in this category? Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng combination is an exception and rare asset to the Chinese side. Leaving them aside, even in the beginning since the retirement of LYB and TBY, I haven't seen any other CHN pairs emerging as rising stars at all while small countries like Malaysia, Denmark and Korea can produce decent and yet better pairs than them because the players are simply more talented but lacking the winning edge/ Chinese formulae. Is it a question of finding the right combination or simply speaking China is traditionally not strong in multi-player category just as in Football, Basketball etc?

2. soulpx

soulpx Regular Member

Trader
    its not they cant produce good md pairs, it is the other country produce more better pairs. look at their wd (yy/wxl) is unmatched to the world's wd bcause they're the only pair playing at highest level.

3. winnie-kid

winnie-kid Regular Member

college student
    I think there are traditional factors,as chinese WD is its strength. BUT!!!The most important thing is the current terrible leaders,like LYB. :(

4. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Leadership-wise, China has achieved so many success under his leadership even though he is a pain in the a** to many people.

The thing is , Malaysia has the worst management and corrupted system to run our sport facility and still can produce many young, talented and good men's doubles players. Look at the Asian & World Junior Championships, most of the winners at the moment in MD are Malaysian. This brings us back to another question of talent abundance in China which I failed to comprehend. Is it that difficult for China produce one or two more pairs that could equal Cai-Fu's strength?

Maybe it's fair in a way as this brings more power balance to world of badminton...what say you

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Note that Cai-Fu are still the defending champion in WC. ;)

6. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Yes but is that the best and only pair China can produce from their population abundant with talent. Honestly, I expected more from CBA since they took so much pride in their system and regulations in coaching champions.

7. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I'm not saying my response to this thread is the answer to the question, but I think it could be a fairly solid explanation as to the lack of MD From China.

Note: Cai/Fu World Champions multiple times, and OG Silver.
    Note: Guo/Chai BWF WSSF Runner Up

So my response would be this:

Due to the overwhelming number of WD players that CHN has, many Players that start off as MD players, turn their attention to XD and are compatiable with the surplus of WD players that CHN have. The women are good enough to play both events, whereas the men, aren't encouraged to do so by LYB. Therefore there is a "shortage" of competing MD players for CHN as at this moment they focus on XD, until after OG12 when Cai/Fu retire then LYB will have to consider his options.

For example:

Zheng Bo: played successfully MD for a while, before moving full time to XD with, Gao Ling/Ma Jin/Yu Yang
    He Hanbin: played MD, before switching to XD with Yu Yang/Bao Yixin
    Tao Jiaming: played MD, moved to partner Zhang Yawen/Tian Qing in XD
    Xu Chen: started off in MD with Guo Zhengdong then switched in late 2010 to XD with Ma Jin
    Zhang Nan: started with Chai Biao in MD, then moved to XD with Zhao Yunlei

Interestingly out of the 5 there, 1 has since gone AWOL, 2 have been MIA and the other 2 have been rather successful.:)

So to answer the question, the talent is there, but until Cai/Fu retire, Many have concentrated on XD and after the OG, LYB will probably sort out MD pairings from the players mentioned, plus he has like 10 other players probably somewhere waiting to come to light :p

Just my theory...:)

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

This is only a short time period. Have there been any outstanding pairs since LYB himself retired and Cai/Fu came to the foreground?

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Not really, that I can think of;)

Although for the future, I think that if LYB put Zhang/Chai back together after the OG, that could be a very good partnership for the future...

10. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

with 2 pairs currently in top 5 and a 4 times world champion, what is the OP talking about?

11. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    My response to your explanation: Even when they started as full time MD players, they were never as successful and made any huge impact like Cai-Fu first started. Zheng Bo has been successful in XD courtesy to Gao Ling, if it wasn't for her, Zheng Bo is a nobody.

He Hanbin is not a very strong MD player to begin with and he has not been doing well with any players he paired with. Tao Jiaming gotten a few good results in XD but only in SS. He is another one who is also fails to deliver in big tournaments just like HHB and ZB.

As for Xu Chen & Zhang Nan, letting them stick to MD is a waste of time and effort because they can't deliver in that field or perhaps they havent found the right chemistry with their partners. Putting them in XD is a clever decision by LYB.

That's my opinion as to why they switched to XD from MD, because they simply can't make the same impact as Cai-Fu. I find it hard to believe China couldn't deploy one or two more pairs who can strike as strong contenders rather than a minesweeper or they are just there to make up the numbers.

These are the combination MD pairs that had failed:

Zheng Bo/Sang Yang
    Fu Haifeng/Shen Ye (Epic Fail combination)
    Guo Zhendong/Xu Chen
    Zhang Wei/Zhang Jun
    Zhang Nan/Chai Biao

Come on, China.. I think you can do better than this..Even Indonesia, South Korea could produce more dangerous and potential pairs..

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    After OC2012, we can try the following:

1. FHF and YY would be an unstoppable pair...
    2. CB with ZhangNan
    3. Zhao and Tien...
    4. Guo with Tao.... [or Xu]
    5. Ma to go back with ZhengBO if he can coming back, and if not, Ma go back with WSL...

#12 pcll99, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Haha, I say you must be an ex-Malaysian.

Well, I thought I saw some promising CHN MD pairs emerging.

INA used to have a number of top MD players but seems to be experiencing a slump in this department, while S Korea and Japan are doing relatively well. Denmark will be the team to beat in LOG. Malaysia's hopes in their "veteran" pair seem to diminish by the day.

14. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I'm sorry, since when Chai Biao & Zhang Nan has ever failed? They progressed to the SEMI-FINALS in the 2010 edition of the SSMF, and had many good results before in 2010. The reason why they were split up was because Zhang Nan was doing way better in XD with Zhao Yunlei. Take into account their age, I won't even call them close to a failure, they did better than most of the MD at their age in 2010.

15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I notice a 'Kancheon spider' in this forum. ;) Understandable. ;)

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    After being in BC for some years, when I read a post or a thread, I try to understand and read into what the poster or the thread opener is trying to say.

Some Bcers give us info, some try to stir up a debate (or even to troll others), some are here for chit-chat, some are here to talk to themselves, etc, etc, ...

In my mind, Miqilin7 wishes to understand why China couldn't dominate the Mens Doubles division, when they could dominate better in all other divisions.

My belief is that we haven't found good and experienced Mens Doubles coaches for China yet.

Although LYB was a MD player before, when he took up the coaching and the managing of the CHN team, he hasn't the time to direct and/or coach the CHN MD division. He was more involved in the general and the overall CHN team.

Most of the current CHN coaches come from their Singles background.

I believe that the CHN MD players need more coaching from experts in the MD category (to guild them). So far, we haven't found any.

Perhaps when FHF and CY turn coaches, we could find CHN will become good at MD in the future.

#16 chris-ccc, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    CaiYun has good potential to be a good coach, but he is quite a character....

18. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Just throwing something out.

Maybe it's a teamwork thing?

Perhaps the little emperor syndrome explains it. It's always about me, me, me...

You don't see that with the girls though.

19. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Hmm, INA MD have won 3 gold medal in OG followed by KOR with 2. In World Champioship, INA MD have won 7 gold medal followed by CHN with 6. So, i think traditionally INA and KOR are stronger than CHN in MD. Try to see how CHN MD played in juniors stage (this year WJC/AJC) i could say simply no hope for the MD, but who knows there are another talents might appear. Just my opinion. :)

20. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I'm surprised no one mentioned about the talents choosing to be in MS 1st. MD is 2nd choice, if they dont make it in MS. I forgot who mentioned this, either LYB, one of the CHina coaches or players. China's success in XD, well, their female players are excellent.

For Korea, the players choose to venture into MD 1st, wanting to follow after PJB & gang. LHI mentioned that this is the reason why MS dept is lacking of talents in Korea & Korea had to call him back from retirement. INA have OG gold medalist in both - Taufik, Kido/Hendra, so, logically should have young talents wanting to be the next Taufik, Kido/Hendra.
    Small Msia(lol), from what I've observed, the current young talents decide to go into MD after being inspired by KKK/TBH's AG & AE win. Some of the current players switched from MS to MD/MS to XD, have better success in MD, so, decided to stick to doubles.