Knee Joint Pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Cloud7z, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

Hi guys,

About a week ago I was (stupidly) practising my jump smash inside my bathroom. The floor is basically hard tiles. My knees have been hurting since this and I'm starting to get worried, the pain is not too bad and I can still play but I'm just worried that it hasn't got any better and seems to have got worse. I'm going to see a doctor soon but thought I might as well ask you guys for any advice. I've just bought a Lonsdale Neoprene Support so hopefully this will help.
    In case it helps, I'm 14.

Cheers

#1 Cloud7z, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  2. Cloud7z

Cloud7z Regular Member

Forgot to mention. I've started to wear my badminton shoes indoors for the cushioning.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Should be ok. Just take some OTC ibuprofen. Next time if you're not wearing shoes make sure you practice on carpet. And make sure your knees are slightly bent on landing.

4. dougcaplan

dougcaplan Regular Member

Its pretty common to have sore knees in racquet sports. Its not the joint itself, but the knee cap not aligning properly. Any slight misalignment of the knee joint will cause discomfort. Drop squats (google it) with a light to moderate weight will 'tighten' the knee musculature and improve your ablity to absorb impact to your knees. Also try using a knee strap as well. Knee straps help the knee cap track properly. Also replace you badminton shoes insoles with a gel insert as everyone should be doing that. Good luck.

5. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

nothing to worry about. just have some rest, and wear proper shoes the next time.

properly landing technique will help you a long way. make sure you got proper technique now for your own good.

6. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

well, since you were practising in your bathroom it means you were just jumping around without cushioning and probably landed in a wrong angle. other than your jumps make sure you stomp heel first and you don't let you knee "overtake" your toes when you lunge.

i suggest you get a patella brace rather than a knee support. my knee no longer hurts after i started playing with the brace. also get the anti-inflammatory cream and rub into your knee is better than taking a pill.