Bg 66 Ultimax vs Zymax 62

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by TsAr83, Jan 4, 2012.

1. TsAr83

TsAr83 Regular Member

has anyone played with both the strings? whats is the main difference, would like someone to compare both the strings?

2. mani60

mani60 Regular Member

I don't remember I had used any of these strings. I think repulsion balance might differ in two strings. BG-66 Ultimax is of Yonex brand and has a high repulsion balance and maximum power, ZyMax 62 has a repulsion power same as of .70 mm string at 30 lbs.

3. Tornoni

Tornoni Regular Member

Finance
    Both are very good string. ZyMax 62 been extra comfy. very nice to play /feel. The BIG different is durability. If you own a stringing machine and don't mind stringing it often, then ZyMax 62 is the way to go. Depending on tension, @30lbs, ZyMax 62 might last a few games (in a day) if lucky. For durability, pick BG66 Uitimax.

#3 Tornoni, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  4. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

my red zymax 62 @ 22x24lbs has lasted me 3 months of 6 hour per week and it hasn't snapped. big signs of fraying now though. very nice feel and very repulsive.

incomparison, a yellow zymax 67 @ 24x26 snapped right in the middle during first warm up so it all depends on the batch you get

5. Polaroid

Polaroid Regular Member

Student
    I have played on both of these strings. The Zymax 62 @ 23 lbs is really nice. It was a pretty comfortable string. The BG66 UM is awesome too and I would pick the BG66 UM because it last longer just like Tornoni said.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

What do you guys mean by "comfortable string"?
    I like Z62. I'm a low-power guy, but I like the control. But it isn't a "soft" string, if that's what was meant by comfortable. It's quite hard, even at low tension. None of my friends seem to like it because of that. The Ultimax 66 is similar - great repulsion-- but IMHO it's the more forgiving string.
    As with everything, from person to person "results may vary". :eek:

7. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

the zm62 is definitely a hard string. especially since its super thin, you can feel the shuttle even more

8. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

Played both with 25x27 and 26x28 lbs.

I love both strings, even though Zymax 62 lasts a bit shorter than 66UM. Of course, mishit is much more detrimental to Z62.

From my experience, Z62 felt great only for the initial 15 hours of play time (~5 sessions for me). 66UM seems to maintain playability a bit longer.

9. Tornoni

Tornoni Regular Member

Finance
    Comfy means it's easy on your joints. It's because Zymax 62 is only 0.62mm thick, it flex more upon impact with the birdie. It asborbs more shock for you.
    I love the string but can not afford the $$ and travelling time for restringing.

10. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

This is my opinion of BG66UM and Zymax 62:

Power: BG66UM = Zymax62
    Repulsion: BG66UM = Zymax62 (Zymax being a very thin string, will reach the same repulsion at a slightly lower tension)
    Durability: BG66UM > Zymax62
    Hitting Sound: BG66UM = Zymax62
    Shock Absorption: BG66UM = Zymax62
    Control: BG66UM = Zymax62
    Feel: Both medium feeling
    Tension Retention: Zymax62 >= BG66UM
    Price: Zymax62 >> BG66UM

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Yonex BG66UM strings are made from nylon whereas Zymax62 strings are made from PEEK from an ICI process, two entirely different materials.
    Nylon strings are softer, more flexible and stretch more when compared with Zymax strings.
    However, all nylon strings are lower than Zymax strings in rebound efficiency or in other words energy return.
    An example, nylon strings return to their original relaxed state after a hit much slower than Zymax strings. That means at equivalent power, Zymax strings have more control and the shuttle leaves the stringbed at a faster rate than nylon strings. Nylon stretches the string at least 50% more than Zymax for the same power, hence its lower energy return.
    However, this advantage although clearly distinguished by its higher-pitch tone at impact, may not be realized by all players, especially players who cannot hit shots with fast and crisppy racket head speed.
    If you feel the strings too hard or if they hurt your hand/arm then it is a clear sign of slow racket head speed.

12. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

very educational from taneepak's post.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

A badminton racket string bed is entirely different from a squash or a tennis racket's. The difference is the lightness of the shuttle and the much faster racket head speed possible in a badminton racket.
    Because of the above it is very bad advice to pre-stretch strings in a badminton racket before a string job if you want to get the most efficient rebound efficiency. Pre-stretching will make your badminton string lose its natural elasticity closer to a steel wire with poorer energy return or rebound efficiency.

greatbahman likes this.
  14. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

taneepak,

In your own opinion. If one doesn't really snap strings, how often should one change their string? (25lbs tension)

Also, would you say "the dead" feeling in strings is due to lost of elasticity or drop in tension more?

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Zymax strings are one of many brands using PEEK strings from Zyex company. You can visit www.zyex.com to find out more, including applications in racket strings and violin strings.

16. dollargood

dollargood Regular Member

For me after 12hrs of play, regardless what string, I will cut and restring....every string will lose elasticity which is normal..

17. gnoils

gnoils Regular Member

I just had a chance to use Zymax 62 and 65 today, both strung @26lbs. I like the 62 better than the 65. But the 62 feels softer than BG 66 which I like a lot. Strokes feels a lot harder to get the same crispness as BG 66.

taneepak, do you mean the 62 should have a harder feel than the 66?

And alas, after about 1-2 hours of play, sliced it abit too much and snapped! I have another Z62, might give it another try. I wanted to like the 62 or 65 because it's much cheaper than bg 66, but doesn't look it'll go that way. :(

Sy

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Had played zm62, 67, and bg66um @ 25 lbs past few weeks. For me 62 had the best repulsion, feel, sound, crispness, and grip on the cork. Durability was doing quite well at 20 hrs of play with feathers, until I made the mistake of playing a game of plastic with it. One mishit at the bottom and it was gone. :(

I'll have to string 2 lb lower for plastic.

Strange thing about the 62, it has a medium hard feel with soft touch shots (eg net, drops, blocks) which is good because of excellent feedback, but on hard shots (eg smashes, clears, hard drives) the stringbed can be felt to sink in momentarily and then rebounding back with good speed. This seems to give it greater repulsion. This is unlike 67 and 66um where the bird is felt to leave the bed immediately without that sink in and rebound feeling.

#18 visor, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  19. Randomlegend

Randomlegend Regular Member

School
    I hate inflicting plastics on a lovely set of strings :(

I played for my school at Uni last year just for a interschool thing they do and it was played with plastics. Broke three sets of strings within about 40 minutes. I obviously can't blame the plastics completely (since my techinique is definitely far from perfect) but they are brutal for strings.

20. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

Which is your favourite Zymax string then?