Starting to play badminton again..

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Swordfish712, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Swordfish712

Swordfish712 Regular Member

Student
    Wow it's been so long since I came here.. I used to visit this place everyday, basically reading every thread to see if there were any good tips for a beginner like me. After my school's badminton season ended though, I stopped practicing entirely... But yesterday, I went to Thompson Community Centre to play a little basketball with my friends, and I peaked into the gym. Wowzernesss... I saw some doubles' matches going on, and I couldn't take my eyes off. The people weren't that impressive... But just seeing them smash, net shot, clear, drop was enough...

Anyways... Hmm why am I posting this? hmmm

Oh yeah, my racquet hasn't been restrung for around 8-9 months... Should I restring it? The last time I strung it, it was at around 24 lbs. I think.. or 23...

I'm also thinking of getting a new racquet.... How are those Isometric Titanium Swing Power racquets? I'm more of a singles player, and I prefer smooth drops and net shots over a powerful smash... I like flexible racquets... Oh yeah I'm not that good...

yeah I guess that's about it... hmmm, are there any junior players that come here?

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    WB swordfish (although I don't know you, but truth to say, BF-ers are all brethrens in badminton... :) ).

What you've just said reminded me of myself earlier this year. I began working in this school. One day, after office hours, I went upstairs to our hall and there, I saw a group of students who are good at the game, challenging one another to an medium-intensity doubles game. One of them handed a racquet to me and I joined them, and there... I was hooked to the game again just like how I felt almost a decade ago when I first joined the badminton club in secondary school.

I was less than 50% of my true capabilities now in comparison to myself back then but nothing some conditioning and self training can't help, no?

As for string tension, I doubt there's a need to change. Mine wasn't changed for seven years and it was still OK though way too loose for my liking. Why don't you drop by the gym and hit some shots before you decide to change it or not?

3. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    Glad to hear that you've taken badminton up again! It's the life-long sport that I plan to play until I'm a crippled old man in a wheelchair... It feels like I'm not that far away from that sometimes... :)

With regards to your racquet needing restringing, why not give it a try first before deciding if you need it restrung? Then you can really decide after giving a few whacks, especially since string tension is another of those preferences that differs from player to player.

The same basically goes for badminton racquets too. Since you're in Richmond, I heard there are quite a few badminton stores that will allow you to playtest the racquets before buying it. Definitely useful since you don't really want to spend the cash for something you won't like later. Just my take on it...

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Welcome back to the sports.

Seems u and me have some common feeling in racket selection and playing styles. Then, I don't think ISO Swing Power should be our choices. I tried SX, SS, SR out of all 4 possible versions, and each one of are either too stiff (especially SX) or just too head heavy for me. SA should be more flex, but I've heard it's lack of power in some sense.

No offense here, if u claim urself is a beginner (or, at least not very advanced yet), my suggestion is not going for something over US$130 (Swing Power price in US). There should be plenty of other models / brands available, which offer light weight, med flex - med stiff shaft, balanace (or head light). Plus, the price will be much cheaper, even could be less than 50% of Swing Power. It will be a shame if the high priced racket got damaged, even before, we can apply some basic strokes in a more consistent basis.

Just a suggestion...