User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 30
  1. #1
    Regular Member axl886's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Possibly the best net retrieval ever?

    From the 2nd last point of the 3rd game of the just-concluded WS finals of the 2011 SEA Games:



    At such a crucial point, no less... WOW.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Nauroa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen - Denmark
    Posts
    330
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Holy Sh*t that is once nice netshot.
    Rally starts at 7.25 for those that want to go straight to the action.

  3. #3
    Regular Member hanser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My goodness , the timing and of it is even more dramatic!!! to pull out something like this at deuce 20pts even, in the 3rd and final set, in the tournament's final, representing a country that had never won a women's badminton gold in the games history, playing against a local player in her own country... amazing!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    330
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    technical question: if the Indonesian play had hit/killed the shuttle when it was high, would it had been a fault because the shuttle is not clearly over the net??? that's one loopy/weird play

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Capnx View Post
    technical question: if the Indonesian play had hit/killed the shuttle when it was high, would it had been a fault because the shuttle is not clearly over the net??? that's one loopy/weird play
    Yeah it would be an obvious fault because the shuttle wasn't over the net.

  6. #6
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,253
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    initially i was thinking there's no way she could've done that... and after reviewing the video several times, i was right... she had faulted by touching the bottom of the net

    you won't see it in the slow mo replay portion, but at 7:44 you'll see the bottom of the net move when her racket touches the bottom of the net at the instant she retrieves that tumbling net shot. there's no way the umpire sitting up high would have seen that fault, but the service judge would have seen it, but that's not his job and that is just the way life is sometimes...

    (i know, i know, i've got a sharp eye and i'm a perfectionist... )
    Last edited by visor; 11-24-2011 at 04:19 AM.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,273
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    That was amazing...!

  8. #8
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,253
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Cmon guys, no one sees her fault when she touched the bottom of the net at 7:44???

  9. #9
    Regular Member hanser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Cmon guys, no one sees her fault when she touched the bottom of the net at 7:44???
    watched it over and over but could not be certain with the video quality. the bird did ricochet off the net too..

  10. #10
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,253
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanser View Post
    watched it over and over but could not be certain with the video quality. the bird did ricochet off the net too..
    Yep I know, but the ricochet on the tape is not forceful and you can see that the net bottom movement happen right at the instant she hits the bird. Plus she contacted that tumbling net shot shuttle when it hadn't yet fallen below the net bottom. In all the similar net shot retrieval plays I've ever seen, the player would wait till it falls a bit below net bottom to avoid hitting the net. She obviously didn't and did touch the net unfortunately.

  11. #11
    Regular Member hanser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    she contacted that tumbling net shot shuttle when it hadn't yet fallen below the net bottom. In all the similar net shot retrieval plays I've ever seen, the player would wait till it falls a bit below net bottom to avoid hitting the net. She obviously didn't and did touch the net unfortunately.
    your point is very valid, tats for sure. but at 7.44 as you mentioned, it looks to me that she did hit it below the net bottom. i thought that it was during the replay that looked like she hit it before net bottom? i see your assessment and i actually think so myself. but its not obvious enough for a conclusion though..

  12. #12
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,253
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanser View Post
    your point is very valid, tats for sure. but at 7.44 as you mentioned, it looks to me that she did hit it below the net bottom. i thought that it was during the replay that looked like she hit it before net bottom? i see your assessment and i actually think so myself. but its not obvious enough for a conclusion though..
    its very difficult to see for sure but it's there. anyone know how to do the gif animation to slow down the video at around 7:44? then you'll see what I see

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    114
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    She did hit the bottom of the net at 7:44. It would be clearer on the slow motion replay at 8:09. No wonder the the fans were singing the host nation's national anthem rather than the gold medal winner's in protest.
    This is how life is, its not a fault till one gets caught. Saw on youtube some time back that the game was given to LCW (against a jap, iirc) for a bad line call by the umpire. It was a clear out.

  14. #14
    Regular Member jajvirta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The fault must have been pretty difficult to spot by the umpire if it's this hard to confirm with slow motion and replay, right? :-)

  15. #15
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,253
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    why is it that hard to see at 7:44 ... the bottom of the net moved just as she contacted the bird

    and just in case some may wonder perhaps that the net moved because of the bird hitting the tape at the top, but her net retrieve was very delicate and not forceful shot at all, so the movement at the bottom of the net is not due to the tape being hit

  16. #16
    Regular Member nokh88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    9,047
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The umpire can't spot the fault at the bottom (if there is one) because he has to look out for INA player if she commits any fault on top of the net.

  17. #17
    Regular Member urameatball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Drill-Sergeant Troll-Face
    Posts
    416
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    why is it that hard to see at 7:44 ... the bottom of the net moved just as she contacted the bird

    and just in case some may wonder perhaps that the net moved because of the bird hitting the tape at the top, but her net retrieve was very delicate and not forceful shot at all, so the movement at the bottom of the net is not due to the tape being hit
    there's a slight chance the net moved because of the breeze from the racket swing. It's obvious the net moves very freely (from evidence of bird touching the net and causing a big wave).

    That being said, it's likely the player faulted, but I wouldn't say the evidence is 100% convincing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Possibly purchasing a Bravesword 10, I need help!
    By Jonster in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 7
    : 12-25-2010, 10:38 PM
  2. my Nanospeed 800 possibly breaking???
    By pdfish in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 3
    : 02-17-2010, 09:35 PM
  3. could AM99 power possibly be made in TAIWAN
    By initials in forum Badminton Rackets / Equipment
    Replies: 1
    : 06-01-2007, 03:11 AM
  4. Possibly fake Yonex shoes?
    By silentlight in forum Market Place
    Replies: 52
    : 08-16-2005, 12:35 PM
  5. Please help me choose between Ti 10 and MP 77, possibly MP 100
    By Simby in forum Racket Recommendation / Comparison
    Replies: 4
    : 08-19-2002, 04:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •