Need advice for a new racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by El Xando, Jan 8, 2012.

1. El Xando

El Xando New Member

Student
    Hey all,
    I'm looking for a new all-round racket. I have been using a Yonex Armortec 150 for the past 3 years which has served me well, however the grip was very worn down and I recently replaced it but didn't do an amazing job and would like a new racket anyway.
    I want a racket good for all situations... I started playing a lot of badminton again recently in the badminton club at my uni, and so end up playing a lot of doubles but occasionally singles too.
    I definitely want to stick to Yonex again, and have been looking at the Nanospeed 9900, Arcsaber 10 and Arcsaber Z-Slash. It seems the Z-Slash is more aimed at pros than amatuers (I'm not amazing, I'm reasonably good though) while I also saw concerns about not being able to get a lot of power with the 9900.

Which racket should I get and why?

Thanks,
    Xander

2. derekso

derekso Regular Member

check in the older posts, there is a picture made by yonnex on their rackets. It shows flex and balance. i dunno which post tho =(. anyways, rackets from the carbonex series are pretty balanced. I THINK........ they are oval head thou. and are only availible in 3u. I THINK.

3. El Xando

El Xando New Member

Student
    Is it this by any chance?

4. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

I'd say you can try the Arc8DX, its closest to the Armotec 150 in term of the racket matrix and its a slight upgrade to the all-rounder Arc10 :D

Z-slash is definitely an aquired taste. i definitely didnt get used to it :p

Nanospeed 9900 is really stiff and repulsive, more inclined towards doubles. The only reason you cant get power out of it is mainly due to its stiffness.

5. El Xando

El Xando New Member

Student
    Are you using the 8DX is better than the 10?

6. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO and from my experience with both rackets, my smash with the 8DX is harder than with the 10. But this is only my sight of view.
    You are coming from a low range Yonex racket. The AT150 is similar to the AT30.
    I would recommend the ARC10 or ARC7. 8DX and 9900 would be too stiff because you are coming from a midflex headheavy one. It could be difficult for you to bend the shaft.

7. TiKok

TiKok Guest

Arc Saber racquets aren't as head heavy as your AT150.
    NS don't have any head weight.
    The closest Yonex in feel would be for me the VT5.
    The logical evolution for you being more on the double side, even you play single, the AT900T in 3U.
    The best would be to try those and tell us how you feel.

8. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Since you said that you occasionally play Single, NS9900 is not suitable for Single game.

You could try Arc 10, Arc 7... they both are suitable for Single & Double, & they did an amazing job. Arc 10 & Arc 7 are quite forgiving all around rackets, i don't think you would have problem with that..

9. El Xando

El Xando New Member

Student
    Well I'm going to a shop tomorrow that stocks the Arcsaber 10 and Voltric 80 so I will give those both a try. Unfortunately it doesn't sell the AT900T.
    I think I will most likely get the Arc 10 if I like it :)

10. El Xando

El Xando New Member

Student
    Actually, looking into it again, I might order an Armortec 900 Technique. I can get it cheaper than the Arc 10 and I will probably get used to it faster from the AT150. My only concern is it has a G4 grip, which I might not like considering my current is G3. The Arcsaber 10 does have a G3 grip though, but is in the same weight class as my current racket...
    Why is it so hard to choose a damn racket?! :p

11. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

cos, there are thousands of rackets out there. However, only a few that will help you to maxmise your style of play. So happy hunting for your perfect racket :)

12. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Actually in BC, it is very seldom for us to have 1 racket only lying in our bag. We will be most likely to have couple of rackets from several brands as well, in our quest to find our destined rackets.

13. TiKok

TiKok Guest

@EL Xando: a G4 grip wouldn't be an issue if you put an overgrip. AS10 is a challenging excellent racquet and for real advanced players, I am not sure you've got the game yet for it. AT900T is suitable for beginners up to advanced players included.