CARBON GRAPHITE Rackets VS Aluminum/Steel/Ti Rackets!!@_@!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mms6a, Jan 8, 2012.

1. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    So which one would be more durable?

Carbon or Metal?

Disregard the Ti meshes or those other stuff like X-Fullrene or CS Carbon Nanotube since the amount ratio is far too less ~ 2% of the racket is made of these nano particles.
    Most of this is just marketing junkies.

Which part would be more FRAGILE?

Frame?
    T-joint?

OR

The SHAFT AND THE CONE CONNECTION PART?

OKAY, I REALLY HATE WHEN PEOPLE FLEX MY RACKETS.

Some people flex my rackets with a lot of force to the point where my shaft would wobble when I swing the racket around..... The racket with the loose shaft is my VT-70 !!

I ALSO REALLY HATE when someone borrows my racket for a game or two when I'm resting, and the guy who is using it turns out to be a n00b at badminton, and kills my rackets with too many rimshots... THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIMES IN THE CLUB I GO TO.... I know, sometimes drop ins have n00b players as well.

So regarding the hitting a carbon racket's frame with a plastic bird with a pretty hard hitter beginner, how long can my racket handle it before the HM Carbon Graphite with Nanotubes crack?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    metal rackets are more durable when it comes to collision.

anyone who wants to dispute it, bring your carbon racket over and i will prove it to you with a simple and quick experiment. :D

3. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I have no idea what you are talking about

what do you mean by Ti racket?
    as far as I know there is no such thing as a racket full titanium
    they are carbon graphite racket with titanium mesh

the best thing about carbon is that we can change carbon density
    they could be as brittle as your normal pencil lead
    they could be as strong as diamond
    AND
    they weigh less than metal

these unique properties makes badminton companies use carbon material

carbon nanotube and Fullerene is not fake thing
    both of these are particle that compose the carbon
    it bonds carbon tightly therefore it give greater strength to the carbon (better quality material)

IMO the most fragile part is the frame because they need to hold the string (sometimes with very high tension)
    hold the string when you hit the bird
    hold themselves when the player do misshit

don't let someone borrow your racket then
    it's your fault letting them borrow your racket

how long? depending on the miss hit and many other variables (place of the miss hit, how strong the person, etc)
    I did many bad miss hits and so far only strings that snap, not the frame (and I could say I hit very hard)
    someone as strong as lin dan or lee chong wei could destroy the frame from one misshit
    for beginner, it is not easy to snap the frame

#3 Avenger, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  4. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    lol! I will not gonna risk my racket for "simple and quick" experiment :p

5. waveteczeus

waveteczeus Regular Member

I think there may be full ti racquets but anyway , metal racquets are more durable. If the metal racquet is bent , we bend it back, if the carbon racquet is bent , it means it's cracked beyond repair inside. Metal racquets aren't better , just more durable.

6. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

The weakest part of a badminton racket is generally the frame, being tensioned and hit on the rims (occasionally).

As for flexing a badminton racket, it should be ok in general. If yr racket cannot withstand flexing then it cannot be used for powerful swing (ie that's the same as flexing, could even be much more powerful with very2 fast swing/smashes). If yr racket wobbles after regular flexing (not forceful ones) then it was a misproduct or was not assembled properly.
    Which part really wobble? The cone of the grip or the shaft itself? If only the cone it is easy to fix. Just open yr grips all the way to the wood and remove the cone upward. Clean the inside of the cone n the grip. Apply some drops of crazy glue into the inside of the cone or on the wood grip. Push the cone back onto the wood grip n hold it for 30 secs n it's done.

If u do not want to lend people yr racket then u may have to provide some cheap steel racket to lend out. That way people will 'sort of' understand that u don't like people to use yr personal racket.

7. Acronvron

Acronvron New Member

If u want a very very durable racket buy
    the t frame one (the with with the joint in the middle) other wise use a single piece steel frame racket (use ur own string for more control) or then use a graphite and steel shaft racket . I have all the three mentioned above and I am using them for 2 years . They have just a handful of scratches on the rim .

8. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    The will never be a full titanium racket, IMHO. (cost, not easy to manufacture, etc) The use of carbon fibre (in general term) in rackets is because it is more 'flexible' than metals. When a piece of metal bends, it does not have the same elasticity to return back to the original shape (unless it is some sort of memory metal alloys used in specs frames, which are very soft). When you hit a shuttle with your racket, the shaft actually 'flexes and bends'. Metals, are malleable, that they do not 'break' that easily, for badminton rackets, carbon fibres actually can 'hold' the shape much better. If you come from the wooden/steel era of badminton rackets, you will know the pain of frames going our of shape. I am not a material scientist, so I am not going to tell you what equations are involved, but there are good reasons why the mainstream is carbon right now.

If you are interested, just look at some discussion about the use of steel vs carbon shafts in golf woods/drivers/clubs.

#8 colekwok, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  9. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    Just to show some nice slow motions of the racket flex during the swing, notice that the rackets are actually bended even before hitting the shuttle.