User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default the shuttle is right in the middle, what to do?

if opponent lift the birdie to the middle of our court (up high), should I (on the right hand side) or my partner (on the left hand side) return the birdie?.... assume both are right-handed?

if what it was a smash instead, who should return?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forehand takes the shuttle. Unless your backhand is beyond this world that is. If you are on the forehand side but your partner is close and you are the better netplayer, it might be a good strategy to let your partner take the shuttle and play the smash while you advance to the net position, giving you an attacking position.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As above. If smash return, then preferably backhand gets it as backhand return is more powerful than forehand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a high shot the forehand, for a smash the backhand.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the lift up the middle is short, the closer player takes it (providing he's in position to attack) as an earlier shot gives the opponents less time to react.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's exactly because of this confusion that a shot, whether clear, drive or drop, down the middle of 2 players is so effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whatever you do. don't break your racket in this classic racket clashing scenario.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ssgg007 View Post
    whatever you do. don't break your racket in this classic racket clashing scenario.
    i know! i've chipped several rackets from this, and broke one from a mild clash right at the weak point 10 o'clock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when returning centre smashs, usually the crosscourt defending player takes the return. so if the opponent is smashing from left to right (towards the centre) then the right-sdie player takes the return, and vice versa. the straight facing player needs to be mindful to cover down the line smash (cover the lines).

This is also another reason when you're lifting you should not lift a clear right down the middle to your opponent, b/c this creates too many options of attack and confusing returns for your own team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lift down the middle

Should be taken by the forehand player, provided that the distance to the shuttle from both players is equal. If the forehand player is further away the backhand player should move over quickly to take it on their forehand.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capnx View Post
    when returning centre smashs, usually the crosscourt defending player takes the return. so if the opponent is smashing from left to right (towards the centre) then the right-sdie player takes the return, and vice versa. the straight facing player needs to be mindful to cover down the line smash (cover the lines).
    Name:  Drill 3.JPG
Views: 495
Size:  20.5 KB
    Let's say I am standing behind 1b and my partner at 1d.... again assume we are both right-handed...

the opponent smashes to our middle... as depicted, he is smashing from his left-side court... who should return?

However, suppose the opponent were smash from the right-side court to the middle of our court, who should be return??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sry pcll99, but none of those shots in your pic are "down the middle"

i've attached a modified image.the A1's smashes S1 and S2 should be covered by D1 player and the S3 and S4 by D2 player. of course this is a general rule. depending on the angle of the S3 shot it might be recovered by D1 player if he's in position and a backhand return is better... but D1 should be always mindful of the S1 down the line smash. The S4 cross court sideline smash is rare because it's longest and slowest and offers the greatest counter attack by the defenders (plus harder for A2 to cover the return)
    Name:  Drill 3.JPG
Views: 558
Size:  34.6 KB

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quite easy:
    if you're Cai, let Fu smash and move yourself to the net.

if you're Fu, let Cai defend.

seriously: of course it depends on both players strengths and weaknesses.
    assuming everything equal, the guy with forehand (i.e. on the left side of the court) smashes and usually the backhand player defends in the middle.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    Let's say I am standing behind 1b and my partner at 1d.... again assume we are both right-handed...

the opponent smashes to our middle... as depicted, he is smashing from his left-side court... who should return?

However, suppose the opponent were smash from the right-side court to the middle of our court, who should be return??
    Interesting diagram. If you stand behind 1b and your partner is at 1d, then what does 1b represent?

Where is the middle represented?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Interesting diagram. If you stand behind 1b and your partner is at 1d, then what does 1b represent?

Where is the middle represented?
    hehe... i don't know... i stole the diagram from another post...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    if opponent lift the birdie to the middle of our court (up high), should I (on the right hand side) or my partner (on the left hand side) return the birdie?.... assume both are right-handed?

if what it was a smash instead, who should return?
    usually the one with the forehead stroke on the path of shuttle flight returns... becos... it is a stronger arm...

but of course... u must have some point of understanding with your partner...

the other way..is the stronger partner return the stroke...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about this strategy?

1. In doubles if you have to lift/clear, never lift/clear to the middle, but always lift/clear to the corners.

2. As some experts already stated in this forum, the cross court defender moves closer to the net and stands square to the line-of-attack from the corner. In this formation, one defender will slightly be in front of the other defender (please keep in mind you are still in the side-by-side formation).

3. If the smash is aimed in between the defenders, BOTH players can try returning the smash. The racket clash can be avoided as one player is in front of the other player.

Note:
    - I think an attacking clear to the middle is fine if the opponents are misplaced and you are sure they cannot quickly get behind the shuttle and make a quality smash. In this situation one of you should move slightly closer to the net to attack any weak returns (please keep in mind you are still in the side-by-side formation).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast