the shuttle is right in the middle, what to do?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by pcll99, Jan 9, 2012.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    if opponent lift the birdie to the middle of our court (up high), should I (on the right hand side) or my partner (on the left hand side) return the birdie?.... assume both are right-handed?

if what it was a smash instead, who should return?

2. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

Forehand takes the shuttle. Unless your backhand is beyond this world that is. If you are on the forehand side but your partner is close and you are the better netplayer, it might be a good strategy to let your partner take the shuttle and play the smash while you advance to the net position, giving you an attacking position.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

As above. If smash return, then preferably backhand gets it as backhand return is more powerful than forehand.

4. druss

druss Regular Member

For a high shot the forehand, for a smash the backhand.

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

If the lift up the middle is short, the closer player takes it (providing he's in position to attack) as an earlier shot gives the opponents less time to react.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

It's exactly because of this confusion that a shot, whether clear, drive or drop, down the middle of 2 players is so effective. ;)

7. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

whatever you do. don't break your racket in this classic racket clashing scenario.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

i know! i've chipped several rackets from this, and broke one from a mild clash right at the weak point 10 o'clock :(

9. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

when returning centre smashs, usually the crosscourt defending player takes the return. so if the opponent is smashing from left to right (towards the centre) then the right-sdie player takes the return, and vice versa. the straight facing player needs to be mindful to cover down the line smash (cover the lines).

This is also another reason when you're lifting you should not lift a clear right down the middle to your opponent, b/c this creates too many options of attack and confusing returns for your own team.

10. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    A lift down the middle

Should be taken by the forehand player, provided that the distance to the shuttle from both players is equal. If the forehand player is further away the backhand player should move over quickly to take it on their forehand.

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Let's say I am standing behind 1b and my partner at 1d.... again assume we are both right-handed...

the opponent smashes to our middle... as depicted, he is smashing from his left-side court... who should return?

However, suppose the opponent were smash from the right-side court to the middle of our court, who should be return??

12. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

sry pcll99, but none of those shots in your pic are "down the middle"

i've attached a modified image.the A1's smashes S1 and S2 should be covered by D1 player and the S3 and S4 by D2 player. of course this is a general rule. depending on the angle of the S3 shot it might be recovered by D1 player if he's in position and a backhand return is better... but D1 should be always mindful of the S1 down the line smash. The S4 cross court sideline smash is rare because it's longest and slowest and offers the greatest counter attack by the defenders (plus harder for A2 to cover the return)
    Drill 3.JPG

13. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

quite easy:
    if you're Cai, let Fu smash and move yourself to the net.

if you're Fu, let Cai defend.

:cool::cool::cool:

seriously: of course it depends on both players strengths and weaknesses.
    assuming everything equal, the guy with forehand (i.e. on the left side of the court) smashes and usually the backhand player defends in the middle.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Interesting diagram. If you stand behind 1b and your partner is at 1d, then what does 1b represent?

Where is the middle represented?:)

15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    hehe... i don't know... i stole the diagram from another post... :)

16. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

usually the one with the forehead stroke on the path of shuttle flight returns... becos... it is a stronger arm...

but of course... u must have some point of understanding with your partner...

the other way..is the stronger partner return the stroke...

17. vinod81

vinod81 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    How about this strategy?

1. In doubles if you have to lift/clear, never lift/clear to the middle, but always lift/clear to the corners.

2. As some experts already stated in this forum, the cross court defender moves closer to the net and stands square to the line-of-attack from the corner. In this formation, one defender will slightly be in front of the other defender (please keep in mind you are still in the side-by-side formation).

3. If the smash is aimed in between the defenders, BOTH players can try returning the smash. The racket clash can be avoided as one player is in front of the other player.

Note:
    - I think an attacking clear to the middle is fine if the opponents are misplaced and you are sure they cannot quickly get behind the shuttle and make a quality smash. In this situation one of you should move slightly closer to the net to attack any weak returns (please keep in mind you are still in the side-by-side formation).

18. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    If it's a lift, when surely you have time to, communicate? I mean if the someone rings the doorbell at home surely you'd say "I'd get it"? I usually say, "mine" or "yours" just to make sure we don't both go for it.

Obviously when there's no time, like a smash, I would agree with the above and say backhand person goes for it and take it as early as they can. If I was playing with a novice, and I'm the forehand player, I'd let them get it with their BH, but I'd have my racquet ready behind them just in case they miss it.

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    ok, how about this... what if the opponent drop to the middle at the net? who should get it

20. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    What ever the shot:-
    1.Nearest person gets it.
    2.If equal distance. Better player gets it.
    3.If equal skill. Forearm smash/back hand defend

so for middle drop at the net, 1. then 2. regardless of forehand backhand the better player gets it (although same distance the better player may get there quicker and/or play a better shot). else 3. if same skilled the backhand should get it. as they would have more control.