Cardiovascular training and breathing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by pcll99, Jan 10, 2012.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    1. Should one breath through the mouth or nose during badminton? Same for 100m dash or 42km marathon?

2. I have a habit of holding my breath for a few seconds when I wanted to focus on getting an accurate shot. Is that normal? If not, how should i get rid of this habit?

thanks...

2. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    1. In a 100m sprint you don't need to breathe at all. A marathon breathe in the nose and out of the mouth. The breathing pattern can't be defined as a slow rally would allow breathing throughout, but a fast rally with lots of movement would only allow you to breathe in between the shots when you can.
    2. In Badminton, the moment you choose to breathe can't really be controlled, thinking about your breathing pattern will take concentration from the shot. An ideal situation would be to hold your breath during the shot to hold the torso still and breathe between shots for recovery.

3. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Oh and to get out of the habit of breathing during the shot, stop thinking about it!
    Focus on your shot, your options, the opponents position. Your body has a remarkable ability to choose a breathing pattern that suits your energy output, it'll handle the job for you.

4. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    LOL! post of the year!

5. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

in badminton, you should inhale before the shot and exhale while taking the shot. this is why sometimes coaches tell players to grunt/yell when hitting the shuttle because it helps with the exhaling process. you should never hold ur breath when hitting the shuttle b/c this disrupts ur breathing process as well it tightens a lot of your core muscles (such as abdomen) and makes u tire faster

whether breathing through nose/mouth depends on how good your physical condition is but the key should be to get as much oxygen evenly into ur lungs as possible b/c it'll help to keep your muscles oxygenated and increase endurance (less tired faster). you can watch top players and see when they are involved in an extended rally they do start to breath faster and through the mouth.

#5 Capnx, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  6. betazone

betazone Regular Member

not sure anyone practised this, but I hv this bad habit of rapid breathing when I am out of breath and I noticed that it is counter-productive, so I actually try to slow down or force myself to slow down my rapid breathing when I am very tired. Hope I am talking sense here but that's what I do most times esp in singles.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    breathing deep or breathing fast? which is more important?

8. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

when you're moving around during a point, you want even breathing. between points, you should take deep breaths to expand your lungs to oxygenate your body. usually when you breath fast you do shallow breathing, which only expands your trachea and bronchi but does not fill ur lungs up.

why don't u try it? right now sitting infront of the monitor, take 10 short rapid breaths as fast as you can, then wait a few minutes and take 2 deep long breaths and hold them in for 2 secs each and see which way you feel fills u up more

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i did that once when I was 15 years old.. I almost had a heart attack.... i am serious..

10. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

funny coz true!

there is absolutely no need to breathe in a 100m sprint (for the pros at least), as the oxygen won't help you. the energy is solely delivered by ATP and afterwards 100% anearob.
    pro sprinters breathe like 0 to max 2 times in 100m, it is in fact not necessary to breathe at all!
    50m swimmers often don't breathe at all, too.

concerning badminton: don't bother/think about breathing. usually your body will automatically exhale during the shot. that's the best you can do...

11. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Improving your cardiovascular fitness really helps you breath more efficiently without having to think about it.

In running or biking you have to get into a breathing rhythm or else you can't keep going. After that type of training, the breathing in the start-stop sports like badminton becomes more reflexive and you won't have to remind yourself not to hold your breath.