Anyone share experience with RSL No. 4 Tourney or Chao Pai Yellow?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by phaarix, Jan 10, 2012.

1. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

I'm from New Zealand and am having trouble sourcing shuttles. Where I live there are large gaps in the year when no clubs run and I just can't stand it ;)! So I'm trying to remedy that...

So far I haven't had a lot of success. Mainly because I have little experience with different brands. So far I think I've only tried RSL No. 1 and then some grade of Xumax, Green Pine, Aeroplane...

I really don't have the money to go for any top grade shuttles (at least to start with). I'm interested in how these (No. 4s http://www.bbeshop.com/show/others/shuttle_rsl4.htm) compare specifically to RSL No. 1 (which are what we use at club/league)? Is the difference between top grade and club grade shuttles very noticeable? As it is, I'd be paying about twice as much if I went for No. 1s.

There are also Chao Pai Yellow locally for a little cheaper than the No. 4s. How would they compare to the two RSL listed above? I read through a few old threads and it sounded like they weren't too bad. It was hard to get a good idea though.

Could I expect to play semi-serious matches with these shuttles?

Any help is appreciated :)!

2. vanrakt

vanrakt Regular Member

RSL N04 tourney is goose feather,and Chaopai Yellow is duck feather ,they are not in same page. So my experience, if just for practice in medium level, CP yellow is fine in your list ,because CP Yellow is cheaper and more durability.

3. dinitial

dinitial Regular Member

I would stay away from the RSL No. 4. Our club use it for training. Flight is ok, but very bad durability. If you use it to play, it may cost one shuttle each every few points. Don't know how Chaopai's are.

4. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Ah I hadn't noticed that! Good to hear about the durability. So there is nothing really wrong with duck feather shuttles? I mean basically if I can (for example) clear baseline to baseline and play a match without noticing anything terribly wrong, then I'm happy. As long as it doesn't get me into any bad habits! So you think I'll be okay with the Chao Pai Yellow?

Phew! That should make things easier for me then! So I guess it probably works out at more than the cost of the higher grade shuttles anyway?

#4 phaarix, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  5. michael23

michael23 Regular Member

Haven't tried the No.4, but have tried various RSL at the top end, including No.1.

IMHO, I wouldn't go for any RSL lower than RSL Standard. The Standard makes the cut for durability/price but I do prefer No.1 or Classic Tourney.

Note that I'm referring to shuttles in the Performance series. Not sure how much that differs to the No.1 in the Classic series though...

6. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

rsl 4 is a ordinary... so so... shuttle

get beta 1 if u have more budget

7. phili

phili Regular Member

The cheap RSL are really shitty. I played with them once and we needed like 3 or 4 shuttles just in the first game, match went on for another two sets.. RSL Tourney Classic are pretty good though

8. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Wow, lucky I didn't go with the lower grade RSL then! The Chao Pai Yellow turned out to be exactly what I was after. I've been organising a little "club" during the off season and while interclub is not running. The shuttles fly alright (good enough, no one really notices :D), but most importantly, they last! They don't look especially pretty (is that because they're duck, or just low grade?), but obviously that's no big deal.

Glad I found them, as I'll probably be able to make our badminton nights a little more permanent. If it cost any more, I don't think I would have been able to keep it up :). Ordered 10 tubes - should actually last a fair while as about half the players are pretty casual, and there are only really 4 of us that like to play competitively. With the setup we've got, we don't even make it through a tube a night. Thanks!

#8 phaarix, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  9. vile10

vile10 Regular Member

hm.....interesting, because i would definitely go after RSL 4 against the yellow, yellow is very durable but speed/flying drops like hell when the feather started loosen up

10. zhangwei525

zhangwei525 Regular Member

Engineer
    I have used both of RSL 4 and Chao Pai Yellow before.

Chao Pai Yellow: Good durability but bad flying and hitting feel even if it is new.
    RSL 4: I don't feel too much difference with RSL 4 and 1 except durability. Of course RSL 1 is more durable.

If you practise maybe Chao pai yellow is enough for you. Price should be amost 20% lower than RSL 4.