10 meters of string

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by pcll99, Jan 11, 2012.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i look at the package of YY's strings.. they all say it's 10m...

but in reality, what is really needed? 9m? 8M?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it depends on:

- your racket
    - your stringing pattern
    - your tension
    - your stringing machine

- obviously, different sized/shaped racket will need different string length
    - different stringing pattern also means different amount of wastage. 2 knots will need less string than 4 knot
    - higher tension will stretch the string more and thus less string is needed
    - different stringing machine has different wastage. reason being there need to be some slack between racket and the tension head.

so really, it is not a simple question to answer. but my experience with my own stringing usually ends up with around 1 meter to 1.5 meter of waste in the end.

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

And for others 10m is not enough.
    I recently witnessed a newbie completing a job but he had only about 2cm with which to tie off his final knot! His mentor came to the rescue. With an awl and infinite patience he managed two half-hitches. Impressive. :cool:
    Personally, I would have weaved one less cross and called it an "advanced string pattern". :rolleyes:

4. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

One piece 2 knots I use 8.3M for 21 crosses and 8.5M for 22 crosses. One reel is good for 22/23 rackets.

5. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

I wonder how did he pulled the last string before the knot then?? "hand-job"?? hahahah

6. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

Also if you are pre weaving you are going to have to leave some loops to pull which adds to wastage.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

That's a really good question :confused: ... I only came by at the knot tying.
    Assume he had the last cross clamped and then broke the string while hand pulling through the last grommet to tie. I'll have to ask him.

8. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    With a starting clamp :)

I would say I normally get more than 1m over of string after a job. That extra string turns out to be useful for the last 2 mains in a standard Yonex pattern. I use small bits of string to insert between the racket and the tensionned string to make it easier to insert cross strings into grommets that have a tensionned string covering them.

9. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

depends alot on how u string..

u have to include wastage for everything...

10. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

you don't need the whole 10-m for one racket. it's normally below 9-m, and often time around 8.1-8.5 m for 2-knot method, and 8.4-8.9 m for 4-knot method.

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    ok thanks...

if i buy a 200m pack, and give my racket to a shop for stringing, can i cut exactly 8.5m of string out from the pack and give it to the shop? or should i cut more? or should the shop determine themselves how much to cut from the whole pack?

12. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

In that case you are better off buying and using your own stringing machine as I doubt that you can ever guarantee that the stringer at the shop will truly stick to just using the 8.5m of string that you provide. I bet the stringer will omit one cross string if he deems that he needs more string for tying off.

You have to understand that stringing a badminton racquet is a very human factor involved job and what you are aiming to achieve may only be able to be accomplished if all the stringers at the shop are robots programmed to be 100% precise on each and every string job.

13. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

well, I have seen this kind of request myself, and was on your position before. this is what I see:

1. the best is to have your own stringing machine. you have all control yourself.

2. for most shops, if you just give them the string, they probably will ask for a minimum 9-m of the string for one job. It's up to the discussion you have with the shop.

3. if you developed a good relationship with the shop or shop owner, you can leave your reel of string with them. you will have to have this mutual trust that they will take care of you and use as less string as possible.

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    ok, thank you all... i guess based on a 200m reel, i can give them exactly 8.6m...

15. visor

visor Regular Member

as others have mentioned, it really depends on the stringer's skill... it is not an exact science, more like an art.

the very first time you go, bring the whole reel and let him measure out what he thinks he needs, he is experienced to know himself. also if you measure it wrong yourself and he finds that it's slightly short, then he would have wasted his time... which is much more than the cost of the string itself

moral of the story: don't save a few inches just to fit an extra few stringjobs in your reel... it's not worth it

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    ok.. thanks..

17. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

unless you have spoken to the stringer personally on how much string doe he/she really needs. I would give them 10m, since they are probably expecting a 10m string.

18. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

8.6m is cutting it a bit close. Previously, I always gave the stringers 10m sets. But ask how much do they need before deciding on how much to give. you dont want to be a few centimeters short and the string job quality goes down due to not enough string to complete the job.

19. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I sec what ssgg007 said here.
    1) Stringer is not responsible for how much string you provide. Are you sure your 8.6m is same as the stringer's 8.6m? If the string is short, it is your fault and you waste a 8.6m string and he still charge you full price.
    2) Depend on stringer's machine, some require 9m.
    3) depend on pattern, if you want to string 22x23 string pattern on the ISO racquet with 2 piece, you are asking for trouble.

In case of customer provide their own string, I always tell them, I am not responsible for the string breakage or FRAME damage because I do not know where the string come from and how old they are. I even had a person brought in a fake YY string and ask me to string at 28lb even after I told him i is fake. Of course it snapped. I charge him regular string job and extra $10 for the additional labor.

20. azadaliabbas

azadaliabbas Regular Member

Civil servant
    I agree. I usually use 5 meters on mains and 4 meters on the crosses and have about half a meter left at the end.