User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hail, migthythor!

Many overweight people are also very graceful dancers! Are you one?

Since you've just made it to the 40's club, you need to be aware that the body takes longer and protests more for every recovery from abuse. So please be careful, cautious, and stay within your boundaries in terms of what you attempt. Better safe than sorry...

You mentioned a cholesterol issue. Please consult with your doctor/physician about how much high-cardio exertion you can afford to do, if you have not already seen your doctor...

As others have said, make sure you warm up properly, and after your game, please make time for some stretching routines.

Try skipping exercises to improve mobility and coordination. Do as much as you can, or your doctor will allow you...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up You have been to TXH's thread

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    good advice, move with balance foremost

but i think i heard it from txh some 20 years ago...
    Hahaha... You have been to TXH's thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by migthythor View Post
    Level of Play: Beginner( First time to ever play badminton)

Physical Built: very fat, male, 40yrs old, 5'4inches, slow to move

What are you trying to achieve/learn? First, to reach my BMI weight of 65kgs.
    Second, to reach class A on my age bracket.

What have u tried? What was the result?
    I tried to learn the basic foot works and grips for almost a week now before playing my ever first game just this night. the result was that i forgot all about it by the time i played.
    Hmmm... You're starting very late yet rather ambitious. It's going to be very difficult for you to reach class A for your age bracket because there are many people in your age group that have been playing for over 10 years.

If you want to get any better at this game, you'll need proper training. Don't buy expensive rackets, use the money for training instead. If you're in the Makati area, I can help you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Hail, migthythor!

Many overweight people are also very graceful dancers! Are you one?

Since you've just made it to the 40's club, you need to be aware that the body takes longer and protests more for every recovery from abuse. So please be careful, cautious, and stay within your boundaries in terms of what you attempt. Better safe than sorry...

You mentioned a cholesterol issue. Please consult with your doctor/physician about how much high-cardio exertion you can afford to do, if you have not already seen your doctor...

As others have said, make sure you warm up properly, and after your game, please make time for some stretching routines.

Try skipping exercises to improve mobility and coordination. Do as much as you can, or your doctor will allow you...
    I did break dancing back then

Thanks for the advice! im doing my warm up and stretching routines as you advised.

As for skipping, from 0 im now doing 5reps of 50skips everyday! indeed i can feel and see that im improving!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ixoye View Post
    Hmmm... You're starting very late yet rather ambitious. It's going to be very difficult for you to reach class A for your age bracket because there are many people in your age group that have been playing for over 10 years.

If you want to get any better at this game, you'll need proper training. Don't buy expensive rackets, use the money for training instead. If you're in the Makati area, I can help you.
    Thanks ixoye!

Indeed its difficult and rather ambitious goal, but then im up to the task until i reach my first and second goals...

As for the training, im seriously considering that. And thanks for the help, unfortunately im based here in iloilo city.
    Last edited by migthythor; 02-01-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default keep it fun

To be a better player you must need "the" fun. I can see that you have fun in badminton so keep that. To make your game more fun try some trickshots. Watch on youtube to find some trickshots and try it out. This will improve your handling with your rackets so you can control your shots better. And believe me the first 1000 times (at least)it will fail, but once succeeded, let them roll!!

Have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kiradeathnote View Post
    To be a better player you must need "the" fun. I can see that you have fun in badminton so keep that. To make your game more fun try some trickshots. Watch on youtube to find some trickshots and try it out. This will improve your handling with your rackets so you can control your shots better. And believe me the first 1000 times (at least)it will fail, but once succeeded, let them roll!!

Have fun.
    indeed im having fun! i was thinking of doing trick shots but then as per advised here i should first learn the basics before doing trick shots...
    but i will follow your advise after i master the basics...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shalom!

Just would like to thank you all here in BC for the help and encouragement in achieving my goals!
    Im proud to report to you that within the first month that i played badminton 2-3 times per week for 2-3hrs, i have already lost 5kgs
    i can now wear shirts and jeans that i cant wear before! i feel lighter and active all day! Because of these, some of my friends would also join me in playing badminton in order to loose weight!
    So thanks again to you guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

crap, i must be doing it wrong... I'm gaining weight playing badminton XD

Well anyways, i've been playing badminton since ~2002. One thing i can say is really, just play.

you can watch footwork videos, stroke videos etc all day long. But if you're not out there playing, you aren't getting any better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XtC-604 View Post
    crap, i must be doing it wrong... I'm gaining weight playing badminton XD

Well anyways, i've been playing badminton since ~2002. One thing i can say is really, just play.

you can watch footwork videos, stroke videos etc all day long. But if you're not out there playing, you aren't getting any better.
    LOL:-)

yes,yes,yes!i cant agree more with you. Out there playing indeed beats just watching...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2