What is the proper way to wear shoes/trainers?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by dlsk07, Jan 12, 2012.

1. dlsk07

dlsk07 Regular Member

Student
    What i normally do is i wear half a size larger than my feet and wear thick sports socks to a cushion and to create grip/stop feet sliding inside the shoe, but it wears off the shoe very quick for some reason

I've been told to wear the same size as the feet, but it hurts my feet

What am i doing wrong? or is it the shoe's problem?

About me and shoe:
    - (UK)size 7.5 feet and use size 8 shoes
    - When i lunge for some shots, i put heel first then the toes like how i've been taught, i don't slide about, unless forced
    - My feet aren't growing anymore
    - Shoe - Hi-Tech Squash Classic (i love them, even if they're not for badminton, haha)

#1 dlsk07, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

Badminton shoes should give a snug fit, to protect the ankles particularly during instances when the player has to lunge/stretch before making a shot. Wearing anything larger than your size is, I think, somewhat foolhardy and one can be prone to injury. It's not just the fit of the soles I'm talking about but also the support one gets around the ankles. Yonex makes some of the tightest shoes around but they are designed to stretch over time and will eventually provide a good cushioning fit and offer a lot of protection. I would not skimp on a good pair of shoes, particularly since wearing the wrong pair can potentially result in long term injury.

3. Maximus21

Maximus21 Regular Member

employee
    Agree...you have to give your shoes a "break in" phase...do not buy half a size larger than your shoe size. I have two pair's of what i call break-in socks. they are quite thin but durable. whenever i buy a pair of badminton shoe, i used them first for about the first three to four sessions. afterwards, the shoes will stretch a bit, and i can use my regular sports socks....
    =)

4. visor

visor Regular Member

speaking of breaking in badminton shoes, whenever i buy a new pair, i wear them around the house for a few days before i even wear them to play on the court... :p

5. betazone

betazone Regular Member

think on top of what the rest said, you should also pull your laces tight. My personal preference is to pull it real tight before I step on court.

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    yes, definitely YY shoes are the best. Soft, light and excellent grip inside and outside... But not as durable, like Mizuno

7. dlsk07

dlsk07 Regular Member

Student
    oh i see, i only wear half a size larger, because when i was little, my dad always tells me that my feet will keep growing until puberty stops, but even when my feet had stopped growing like a few years ago, I've still stuck to what my dad taught me haha, but thanks to you guys and your advice i now know what to do

Many thanks