workout for badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by n00b, Jul 8, 2003.

1. n00b

n00b Regular Member

Student
    i play badminton for atleast 2 hours a day for about 5 days a week. alongwith that i go to a gym for working out about everyday. since i am developing my skills in badminton, can you guys suggest what part of my body should i work out and what kinda workouts should i do while im in the gym that will help my performance in badminton too.

2. valourarc

valourarc Regular Member

Professional
    Work out your legs and mid-section. Do a lot of sprints/jumps to increase your explosiveness. This will allow you to get to all the shuttles.

The mid-section (abs) workouts allow you to change direction quicker.

3. n00b

n00b Regular Member

Student
    hmm... i was mainly focusing on my arms and chest for better shots and smashes

4. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    its gotta be the cardio. i don't think anyone would emphasize anything else more... other than racquet skills i guess

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I would emphasize the warm-up, stretching, and cool-down

6. Tezta.com

Tezta.com Regular Member

I stay at home as much as possible
    I have a personal trainer and we have been working on what he calls "funtional training". It mainly consists of using yourself as a weight and peforming rather awkward routines that surprisingly tire you out after only an hour.

According to him it is being adopted by major professional sports like the NFL and NBA. But it all focuses on core training, strengthening your midsection, and i have noticed a great deal of improvement in my movements latetly.

So i suggest a lot of abdominal training.

7. mdc39

mdc39 New Member

leg muscles. Have you seen Chong Hang Wang or Hong Chen's legs?

8. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    In my opinion, I think these are one of the less important physical attributes for badminton, after stamina, flexibility, etc.. Proper technique will maximize power even if you are not very physically strong.

There are some arm exercises that can help, such as strengthening your triceps. Triceps are used when extending your arm, which is a common action for full overhead and backhand strokes. Your shoulders also are used when smashing in doubles. Unlike singles, in doubles you should smash without rotating your body because it can put you out of position, so your racquet arm shoulder is involved. You also have to jump smash in order to be more effective, which means legs are involved.

In my experience, chest muscles have no involvement in badminton. They may have a tiny bit of work, but I have never had them sore from badminton.

Phil

9. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

Hey there,

Firstly, like Neil Nichols mentioned, before any workout, a warmup and stretch routine is a key to prevent injuries whether playing a game or doing fitness.

If you do not have any weights or machines (treadmill, etc) for cardio and so on..you can always use your body as a weight. This is one of my light workouts I like to do just to keep me at a consistant fitness level and will help improve endurance.

Firstly, start off with 20 tuckjumps.

Seconly and in between EVERY stationary exercise (tuckjumps, pushups, etc), move onto the court and do 20 side to side movements as quick as u can..10 for each side using proper footwork. (this will increase your speed on the court as well as practice your footwork side to side) (If you are not on court, you can always do this in the basement just by measuring out the width of the court and donig the exercise there).

Thirdly, do 20 pushups. Then do the side to side movement again.

Fourth, do 20 situps. Again do the side to side movements again after.

Fifth, do 20 leg kicks, 10 for each leg. (a leg kick is where one leg is on the ground while the other leg is bent and the knee is lifted up/kicked in the air). Side to side movements after exercise.

Sixth, do 20 tuckjump with a small hop after each tuckjump. side to side movements on court after.

Last of all, the toughest of them all at this point....do 20 burpees (a burpee is when one goes down and does one pushup, then quickly get's back onto his feet and does a jump/hop). And finally followed by the side to side movements.

Note: if 20 times of each exercise is too much at first, you can always start off with 5, 10..or whatever you are comfortable with...however when you do get used to it, consider raising the amount of times of each exercise in order to increase your stamina.

This whole exercise should take you about 10-15 mins if you are fairly fit.

10. n00b

n00b Regular Member

Student
    thx for ur opinions, as i mostly work around weights for my shoulders and legs, now im beginning to emphasize on my cardio. there are certain cardio equipment like treadmill and i am trying to spend atleast about half and hour sprininting and jogging as my warm ups and cool downs before i start with weights and when i go to play bad at night, i really feel the difference.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    one workout that is quite beneficial is rope skipping. that trains the endurance as well as speed of your calf muslces, as well as wrist, and lastly if you can do multiple of hundreds, it will trains your heart/cardio as well... try it out.

12. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    When skipping rope, be sure to touch your heel down to the floor every ten skips to prevent injuring your achilles tendon.

Phil

13. bmsupport

bmsupport Regular Member

browse through this website I found it very useful

http://www.thebadmintoncoach.co.uk/

14. n00b

n00b Regular Member

Student
    what can i do to strenghthen my wrist and forearms??

15. swijaya0101

swijaya0101 Regular Member

n00b,

you can use squash racket or tennis racket

16. n00b

n00b Regular Member

Student
    u mean use a squash racquet to play badminton?

17. swijaya0101

swijaya0101 Regular Member

shadow practice your stroke with squash racket ...

18. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    don't u get bad shock in your legs then?

noob: do a search, lots of those topics on this forum :D

19. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Don't land only on your heel every tenth skip, land normally and then touch your heel down quickly. It is very easy to do and is supposed to help prevent straining your achilles tendon or something.

Phil

20. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

yes, that'll work the forearms but you have to be careful you don't damage yourself because it's different than using a "light" badminton racket.

Also, it's not necessary to play badminton with the squash/racketball racket..you can just use it during ur spare time and swing it for a few reps like 20-30 times or even more..by the time you're done swinging it or just moving ur wrist fast holding the racket, you'll be able to tell you're forearms have been worked