I broke my racquet, is it fixable?

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by My99broke, Jul 10, 2003.

1. My99broke

My99broke Regular Member

Student
    Check out this...my racquet got smoked so bad in doubles, i clashed with a Ti5 or somethin and this 99 just blew up in my face...can you still fix it? If so, what will be the disadvantages? I bought this last december and it was restrung twice it at 23lbs. Sorry this was taken with a really bad camera. I dont know if i attached the picture right...Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. mtakako

mtakako Regular Member

yup, you can probably fixed it, but not sure it is worth it.. Sincee after repaired it will never feel the same. That is one bad crash... What happen?

3. My99broke

My99broke Regular Member

Student
    I swung really hard from back court and hit my partners racquet really hard but i cant see any damage on his racquet...I was confused...did i string it too high? i dont think so...

4. mtakako

mtakako Regular Member

well the muscle power series has pretty weak frame in my opionion. Your tension might be slightly high too that is why it was so bad.. You must swung really hard. Was the tension 23lbs?

5. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    Welcome to the club buddy. 23 tension is not so high I have a fake yonex Ti-10 (weight 80, Grip G4) strung around 25lbs and it's still ok. I recently bough a new MP100 and strung it around 22lbs just to play safe. 22 tension for MP-100 is the maximum ideal tension for YONEX.

And I would suggest you buy a new one, it's irrepairable. Even you could solder or bond it together the right balance of your racket would never be the same.

What you gonna buy for replacement?

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    m99b,

sorry to hear that you broke your mp99. 23lb isn't a very high tension. but sometimes tension doesn't really matter, if you clash the racket in the wrong place at a wrong force, it will break even if there is no string.....

from the look of it, the racket is unrepairable. i believe there are services to fix rackets, but since your practically broke in half, even if repaired, it will be quite weak. besides, as many have said, it will not feel the same racket anymore.

if you are prone to breaking rackets, perhaps it'd be better to buy cheaper ones instead.

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I had a Carlton AS-Ti (oval head) broken when I was playing at the front in doubles and went up to pick off a return but the guy behind was in the middle of his smash and he went straight throuh my racquet.

Anyway, it was broken on one side of the frame only, same sort of break as yours.
    I had it repaired and have since strung it a 26lb and it has been OK with the tension.
    The AS-Ti is supposed to be OK up to 30lb anyway, but the repair is OK too.

Problem is that the repair has added extra weight to the broken part of the frame so now it is unbalanced.

Good news is that I try to steal shots from the rear player less now :D

With a break on both sides like yours, it might just come out more head-heavy, but it could also end up unbalanced left-right.

hope that helps,
    Neil

8. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    With a clash like that, i wouldn't recommend you to fix it because it may be unbalanced after you fixed it.

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

oh yeah,
    I hadn't noticed from the shadow that the breaks were at 9 and 12 o'clock
    I had 10 and 2 o'clock in my head when I wrote my previous post
    It will definitely end up unbalanced

10. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

It would probably best to buy a new solid racquet. Like they said, after they fix it, it'll be head heavy not balanced anymore.

Try a different brand that isn't so brittle perhaps? After this experience you'll learn to yank your racquet back whenever the time comes just like I did. Cept my BK Racquet is invincible! :)

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    IMO, 23 is not high, that picture tells me it's a failure due to poor string job induced from a clash. I'm 90% certain. I know i didn't strung that one:p but I know the stringing method to cause that breakage pattern.

12. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    Sorry to hear about your racquet. I know the pain, agony, disbelief and sorrow after breaking a racquet. :(

It must have been one heck of a swing since it broke in two spots. I think I've seen more broken MP-series racquets than anything else in the last year... I'm curious, was this a CD model or was it brought over from overseas?

13. My99broke

My99broke Regular Member

Student
    It was a pretty hard swing that broke this. Im going to look for a replacement which is of similar characteristics like the 99 but so far i still dont know which one. I guess ill just throw this in the garbage i suppose, not a good way to spend close to 250 dollars heh. This had was a CD model, i dont know if these are known for poor durability or whatever. Oh well, thank you guys for all the help!

14. My99broke

My99broke Regular Member

Student
    This was given to me after i broke the 99 at the store...It appears to be an isometric 250 but thers some sort of tape wrapped around the shaft to reinforce it or somethin which i didnt do. I dont know anything about the tension or serial cuz its all covered up it feels like 18-20 or a little less. I broke this in a really wierd way...I went up for a smash and when i brought this above my head the top part just flew off without touching anything... Am i just encountering bad luck with breaking racquets or is it not my fault?

Attached Files:

15. Kaffie

Kaffie Regular Member

self-employed
    Think the racket must had been "repaired" or there was a crack there and they tape it all around it to reinforce. Which explains why the top part just flew off when you swing the racket for a smash.

16. reenignelivic

reenignelivic Regular Member

Student
    Looks kind of dangerous to me to play with a broken racket like that one... :eek:

17. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student

Can you imagine the slice you can get off that broken mp 99? Cut round those feathers like no man's business :):)

Matt

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    My99broke,

I think you need to buy cheaper racquets!

FYI, I had a racquet clash in doubles. My partner stole my shot (it was my forehand and he swung backhand). My partner was an ex-international player!!. His racquet exploded just like yours. His racquet was an ISO800. Mine a cab20. I think his was CN, just like mine.

I used cheaper Kennex racquets, when a student, all the time, until I started working. Dunno if you can source another brand to do the same thing.