User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tactim,
    Your friend is most likely used to playing in social games most of his life and I'd bet that he's never watched any semblance of a competitive doubles game, so if he's comfortable with that and sees no need to change, then I'm afraid it's you who need to change ... partners, that is. Unless of course you can put up with it...

Now, playing barefoot on hardwood floor ... that I'd like to see in a video! Very strange indeed...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the funny thing, I know he used to compete competitively on his high school team, and he's only a 1st year in college. Granted he was a singles player but generally he's just not a person who likes to take badminton seriously unless he feels up to it. I really believe that he knows how to play doubles but he enjoys playing in a more light hearted manner. So the more I think about it, it's not so much a play style issue than it is an attitude one. I've seen him play seriously only a couple times in the last 6 months, but it's very hard to get him to do so, which is a shame. Well he's not a permanent partner, it's just we play with whoever is there and who we feel like playing with. So it's not a huge issue, but it's something I notice when we play.

I would love to post videos but unfortunately I don't have a good enough camera to post videos that take videos that are of sufficient quality.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luckily u didn't end up like the end of this video.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tactim View Post
    Here's the funny thing, I know he used to compete competitively on his high school team, and he's only a 1st year in college. Granted he was a singles player but generally he's just not a person who likes to take badminton seriously unless he feels up to it. I really believe that he knows how to play doubles but he enjoys playing in a more light hearted manner. So the more I think about it, it's not so much a play style issue than it is an attitude one. I've seen him play seriously only a couple times in the last 6 months, but it's very hard to get him to do so, which is a shame. Well he's not a permanent partner, it's just we play with whoever is there and who we feel like playing with. So it's not a huge issue, but it's something I notice when we play.

I would love to post videos but unfortunately I don't have a good enough camera to post videos that take videos that are of sufficient quality.
    Ah, I see... he's tired of the competition and now prefers to play more for fun. Or perhaps he has a more laid back personality who prefers to enjoy the game, rather than have a battle on the court.

Just a little free psychoanalysis.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have done the same.

I experienced this similar kind of situation, all I did was smile at my partner and said anything that went over your shoulder would be mine, as I was at the back. But after awhile people who don't know have a sense of direction on court would have forgotten what I said right away, step on his reverse gear, and the whole body came crashing on me.

I did do the usual "five" to thank him at the end of the game - for not killing me.

I guess there were only 2 options. 1, tell him off and be impolite. 2, be patient and be polite. Option 2 would make everyone feel comfortable in that atmosphere, and afterall it was a only a game for pleasure.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    I am in tears laughing at this. He is like the happy gilmore of badminton without a 500km/ph smash. Love that bit when he does that silly looking serve and it inevitably goes into the net so he lobs his racket at the net aswell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i used to easily flare up and lose interest in the game whenever i play with beginners or intermediate players who don't know any basic rotation. however, that all changed when my coach told me that i should treat it as part of my training. since my partner has his own rotation, its a good way to train my footwork and adjust or support my partner's weakness. i just keep my cool, stay silent and polite but i change my game not only reading my opponent's strategy but also my partner's and coming up with a game plan to win while complementing or counteracting what my partner does. since then, whenever the game would look one sided because of the difference in levels, i would prefer to be on the losing side because i can learn a lot more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually apply the give way rule and then look for the other possible returns as , that is if I can see where they are. I find most people who say they are pretty good at badminton 75% of the time aren't that good so I try to find out in the warmup or first 3or 4 rallies what they do in the rallies and the do some calling to let them know that I'm already there for the shuttle.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow This is only my observation

Quote Originally Posted by hiho1961 View Post
    I usually apply the give way rule and then look for the other possible returns as , that is if I can see where they are. I find most people who say they are pretty good at badminton 75% of the time aren't that good so I try to find out in the warmup or first 3or 4 rallies what they do in the rallies and the do some calling to let them know that I'm already there for the shuttle.
    This is true - that most people who say they are pretty good at badminton, but about 75% of the time they aren't that good.

In Australia, I find about 80% of players (that I know) say that they are as intermediate players, 15% as low/beginner standard and 5% as advanced.

But when it comes to how to play Mens Doubles (as a combination/pair), I find only about 20% know how to rotate in their player's positions.

Anyway, this is only my observation (based in Australia).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-ccc View Post
    This is true - that most people who say they are pretty good at badminton, but about 75% of the time they aren't that good.

In Australia, I find about 80% of players (that I know) say that they are as intermediate players, 15% as low/beginner standard and 5% as advanced.

But when it comes to how to play Mens Doubles (as a combination/pair), I find only about 20% know how to rotate in their player's positions.

Would it be fair to say that the Danes are the best as to when and how to rotate?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Are you talking about the general/ordinary players of Denmark?

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    Would it be fair to say that the Danes are the best as to when and how to rotate?
    I haven't played with the general/ordinary players of Denmark before (in Denmark). I haven't been to Denmark before - so I wouldn't know.

Are you talking about the general/ordinary players of Denmark?

If you are talking about DEN BWF tournament players, then they all know how to rotate. And so are all BWF tournament players from other countries. They have been coached.

Note: In this thread, we are talking about ordinary players at local social Badminton clubs, not about national players. Many of these players haven't been coached before.
    Last edited by chris-ccc; 01-22-2012 at 04:58 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't played with the general/ordinary players of Denmark before (in Denmark). I haven't been to Denmark before - so I wouldn't know.

Are you talking about the general/ordinary players of Denmark?

If you are talking about DEN BWF tournament players, then they all know how to rotate. And so are all BWF tournament players from other countries. They have been coached.

Note: In this thread, we are talking about ordinary players at local socia) Badminton clubs, not about national players. Many of these players haven't been coached before.
    sorry, i meant professional Danish players.

i also notice that the Danish professional rarely have any confusion as to who should take a shot (especially when it is right in the middle).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i also notice that the Danish professional rarely have any confusion as to who should take a shot (especially when it is right in the middle).
    Perhaps, you can start a new thread regarding your question.

In this thread, we are talking about ordinary players at local social Badminton clubs.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I agree with Chris. That should be for another thread. Your question is far away from the original post.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by winstonchan View Post
    I would have done the same.

I experienced this similar kind of situation, all I did was smile at my partner and said anything that went over your shoulder would be mine, as I was at the back. But after awhile people who don't know have a sense of direction on court would have forgotten what I said right away, step on his reverse gear, and the whole body came crashing on me.

I did do the usual "five" to thank him at the end of the game - for not killing me.

I guess there were only 2 options. 1, tell him off and be impolite. 2, be patient and be polite. Option 2 would make everyone feel comfortable in that atmosphere, and afterall it was a only a game for pleasure.
    Yup. I was glad to survive the game - body and soul. I'm not suicidal.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Damm. I always say I am intermediate

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    This guy is either acting for the camera, or is a complete toolshed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast