A very unenjoyable game - dangerous

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Last night I went to gym to have a game.

There was a newer player there - he knows the others though I've not seen him before.

He can hit a 3/4 length smash, very slow drops shots
    I guess one can call him an 'intermediate' player. Though not particularly tall, one can use the term "gangly" and "uncoordinated" style of play......and goes for most of his shots..

So the problem comes when it was a 50:50 shot down the middle, shuttle is lifted high. I am on the left side, he is on the right i.e. the shuttle is on my forehand and to his backhand side. It's clearly mine - most sensible people leave it for their partner - this guy has to try and come across nearly smashing his arm, racquet and body into me. I was really quite annoyed especially as there was no apology.

I spent the rest of the game just staying in the open areas of the court avoiding him (to avoid bodily harm). Our opponents were more competitive hitting 90% of the shots to him to win the game. The only time I got to hit the shuttle was on serving (a couple of times) and receiving serve.

I did try and go and hit the shuttle in a few rallies but didn't push myself for the shots. That meant the shuttle landed on the floor.:roll eyes: I did apologise to my partner for not being able to get to the shuttle.:eek:

As it was the first game of the evening, I couldn't even get warmed up! Couldn't wait to rush off the court though. It was too dangerous to stay on and that guy had absolutely no insight.

Being a very polite guy I did the thanks at the end of the game....what would you do?

2. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Hai cheung! bad day at the office then! its like that a lot in england la! when u have a difference in standard and knowledge of tactics. u know when u need to move and where but the other person has no idea. personally the type of person u described is my worse nightmare as i like to move fast around the court if i know i am moving into the right places, and with them bundling around the court like that its dead easy to have a clash, or worse have them break ur racket! (which has happened before... my beloved yonex armortec 900 t JP code:( )

i guess u just have to avoid these people or if u are going to end up playing with them more, i always suggest them to leave certain shots etc. but HAI its difficult la.

3. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

cheung,
    where about do you play?

and I hope the nbg98 is working out for you :)

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

NBG98 is good! Mainly playing on HK island with a variety of options.

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Would you still be considerate if he breaks your racquet or hurt you (unintentionally, of course)? I won't show him any courtesy if I were in your place. Rather than suffer in silence, I would either give him fair warning about his mistakes or walk off the court. I have been fortunate enough to play with familiar people who knows some semblance of doubles rotation. The odd times that I do play with reckless intermediate players, I am more aware of their tendencies and movements than usual. In case of close contact or near miss, I would literally push them away whenever they back into my shot. Either avoid them like the plague or play conservatively. I would rather lose the point than my racquet or break my bones. And I do apologise for missing the shots too :p.

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Shout mine or leave it loud when you go for it and inbetween the rally agree with him that forehand takes all lifts down the middle. Coach him in his other movements. It should be most players duties to help develop worse players, like you recieved when you were learning. Saying all of that I experience this on many occasions and it is super annoying so feel the pain, Not warming up and completely losing interest in game is not want you turned up for, but the solution i suppose is only go to clubs or play with mates who are of the same standard or be prepared to put up with this from time to time. Oh also i would take my nice badminton racket re-sleeve it and pull out an old racket it makes no difference you only get a couple of hits anyway.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Cheung, that training racket will come in handy in this situation...

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    u joined games from discuss.com.hk?

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

To be honest, I would say it wouldn't make a difference as the guy has no insight. I gave up the game anyway - it's not worth risking injury to myself. This place all the other people are quite OK. Just this particular imbecile turned up and my misfortune to be lumbered with him.

All my racquets are old:) but I would still like to keep them intact. Like Kwun suggested, the training racquet would be good :D

#9 Cheung, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Sorry, don't know who they are.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

lesson learned, myself included

that's why if i'm partnered with someone new (doesn't matter whether they're advanced or low intermediate), i don't go all out and i play safe shots... until i'm more comfortable with his movements and tactics

doesn't matter if the opponents are giving their 100% and decimating us

not worth the risk of injury to racket and especially to body

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  13. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Ha hA Ha. Sorry but this is making me laugh. Imagine having to tell the poor guy "your so rubbish your dangerous!" Somebody that bad should be made to leave a large deposit at the start of the night to pay for the inevitable breakages/doctors fees, Crap Tax!

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Probably your opponents will try to return all their shots to a location equal distance between you and your partner. :D:D:D If this is the case, tell your partner that that shot belongs to the player hitting with the forehand stroke.

But if he is left-handed (and knowing that you are right-handed), I would tell him those shots belong to him. ;););)

15. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    lol! I laughed so hard because of this comment!

I played with my friend which always play singles with me
    he has no idea what he needs to do in doubles
    he clearly can smash, but he didn't do it, he played around with drop shots and such

I gave him lengthy explanation about doubles strategy, how to cover your partner, and TRUST
    I cannot trust him with a shot and at the end, try to cover 3/4 of the court by myself
    kinda annoyed, so I hope he understand what I'm saying and at least understand he should cover me as I cover him

16. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    You know I have an experience that has elements of what people have said here. My partner knows how to play quite well nut he’s a big talker when he plays and likes to talk even right up to the serve or even during rallies. We’re talking regular conversation or asking questions in the middle of the rally haha. I usually tolerate it quite a bit and join in because it’s in good fun, but last night I got a little irritated because it disrupted everyone’s serving, including my own. We constantly had to wait for him to quiet down before we served and reserve several times because we got distracted. It’s not that I’m clueless on what to do, but it’s just an interesting little experience that I’ve been having =p. One other interesting fact: he plays barefoot, and still moves fairly quick around the court (our courts are wood with varnish). He hates wearing shoes, and I constantly have to poke fun at him for not wearing shoes. Surprisingly enough he hasn’t gotten injured, which is amazing, but has also been a source of frustration and concern =).

He’s capable of a quite a high level of play but often he doesn’t feel pushed to try hard, partially why he plays barefoot.

But another thing I noticed yesterday is his doubles tactics which are somewhat frustrating though I’m not quite sure he realizes it. On the return of serve, almost always he replies with a lift that is often moderately short and puts us on the defensive right away. And although he is capable of a producing strong smash, he does not like smashing much so whenever I do get him a lift, it ends up being a drop or a clear back to the opponents. His style of play is frustrating because I do not get many clears to smash off of and most of the game is spent defending against smashes. Even on his serve he flick serves about 90% of the time even when the opponent has already learned this and is standing like 1.5 meters from the service line in preparation. In our club we often play with whoever is there with whatever combination of players like men’s doubles vs women’s doubles. Even though we both played against two women (who aren’t bad, but their level of play is still below mine and my partners), we were still pushed to a three game match with a win only by about 6 points in the final game because the whole game we’re just defending and counter attacking and winning a point here and there because I got a the occasional clear to smash on.

But these games are all social and nothing to get worked up over, however it is frustrating when our styles of play are so incompatible.

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The only way is to teach them how to play Doubles (applying the standard method)

The only way is to teach them how to play Doubles, the standard method. :):):)

But what can we do when they think their way of playing Doubles is better? :eek::eek::eek:

#17 chris-ccc, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  18. visor

visor Regular Member

Tactim,
    Your friend is most likely used to playing in social games most of his life and I'd bet that he's never watched any semblance of a competitive doubles game, so if he's comfortable with that and sees no need to change, then I'm afraid it's you who need to change ... partners, that is. :) Unless of course you can put up with it...

Now, playing barefoot on hardwood floor ... that I'd like to see in a video! :p Very strange indeed...

19. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Here's the funny thing, I know he used to compete competitively on his high school team, and he's only a 1st year in college. Granted he was a singles player but generally he's just not a person who likes to take badminton seriously unless he feels up to it. I really believe that he knows how to play doubles but he enjoys playing in a more light hearted manner. So the more I think about it, it's not so much a play style issue than it is an attitude one. I've seen him play seriously only a couple times in the last 6 months, but it's very hard to get him to do so, which is a shame. Well he's not a permanent partner, it's just we play with whoever is there and who we feel like playing with. So it's not a huge issue, but it's something I notice when we play.

I would love to post videos but unfortunately I don't have a good enough camera to post videos that take videos that are of sufficient quality.

20. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Luckily u didn't end up like the end of this video.
    [video=youtube;pwALyuHtlDM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwALyuHtlDM[/video]