ATW (Gosen's Professional Pattern) vs Victor's Pattern vs TD vs BU which one is best

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by jshrmohanty, Jan 17, 2012.

1. jshrmohanty

jshrmohanty Regular Member

Can anybody tell with reasons (showing Power, Control & Durability as well as Playability) which one is better or best between the following stringing pattern:

1. Gosen's Professional Haribito pattern
    2. Victor's pattern
    3. TopDown
    4. Bottom Up like Yonex
    5. 2 Piece like Yonex

2. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

I dun tink there is any paper that demystify this subject matter. Opinion differs. I have done and played on all these patterns in high tension and this is my humble 2 cents:

1) Gosen Haribito Pro/Basic
    Basic is bottom up. Pro is top down. I would really like to know why did Gosen recommend top down as 'Pro'. The only logical reason i find is ease of stringing esp at high tension for the 'Pro' method. Notice how the complex sequence turn out that you only need to conveniently reduce the tension once and string the places where you should go lower esp at high tension all at the same time. I do feel a slightly more concentrated sweet spot for all Gosen methods if you can understand the rationale behind the complexity.

2) Victor
    It is basically Gosen Haribito Basic method but with the Yonex variation of going from b9 to b12 and coming back again. Yonex does it most likely to space out the end and starting knots. But Victor method is 2knots and i don't see any reason for it except to make themselves special by copying both. Though i suspect this method may ease the stress on the frame by ending at the 2nd last main/cross. No evidence though.

3) Topdown
    Never try Yonex 4knots topdown before. Gosen Haribito Professional method is a topdown method.

4) Bottom up like Yonex, 5) 2 piece like Yonex
    Easy to string. Straight forward. Kinda feel that by isolating cross and main, there is better control of the tension to retain the frame shape.

6) Yonex 4knots w/ cross starting from center. Anyone?

Hope there are other experienced stringers who can share their experiences too.

#2 istringforyou, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  3. jshrmohanty

4. istringforyou

istringforyou Regular Member

I looked and tried the Victor pattern again and began to appreciate more. I will compare it to the similar Gosen Basic pattern.

1) Gosen Basic has bottom 7 done by the shorter side and Victor has only 4. Victor follows Yonex 4 knots in this case where it jumps from b9 to b12 (except MX80). I use to think this is a blatant copy of Yonex and Yonex uses it to space out the tie-off knots and the starting knot and no reason for Victor to do this. But on a hindsight, Victor does this to as to only need the shorter side to do the bottom 4 and Victor specifies the bottom 4 crosses to have the same tension as the main while the crosses at the sweetspot to add 2LB on top of main. To have only the bottom 4 crosses have lower tensions may enlarge the sweetspot perhaps? I cannot be sure about this but using the Victor method i did feel a nice sweetspot. But then again Gosen Professional pattern has only the bottom 2 crosses being singled out. Sounds even better? No one is sure.

2) Note Victor tie-off for crosses at the top. The second last cross (a8 for 72, a9 for 76) is the real last cross that follows the tie-off. This area is always one of the weakest areas, depending on machine and side supports, there may be potentially more support at this area than at a higher hole. Some customers like to check the tension of the last cross before tie off and do not understand this cross is surely not going to be as tight as it is meant to be and may accuse the stringer of an improper job. :D

@ jshrmohanty
    I saw the interesting pattern labelled 'Master Paizhuan'. I am eager to try this complex method. It certainly looks well designed with intent. Have you tried it before? Care to give a review?

5. jshrmohanty

Thank you 'istringforyou'.

No I have not tried 'Master Paizhuan'.
    I have done stringing service for advanced players at my area with Gossen's Professional patterns, their feedback is positive in regard to Power & Control.

For Beginner & recreational players: Their positive feedback is towards Victor as well as Gossen's Basic pattern.

I am waiting for our review on '
    Master Paizhuan' .