Inconsistent primarily due to grip and finger discomfort and losing comfort "feeling"

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by giant_q_tip, Jan 17, 2012.

1. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

hey guys,

so i fluctutate alot in my performance, but i know that if i can get the right "feeling" with my grip, i would perform better.

there are times when i just cant concentrate on the match because i focus too much on my grip and getting the fingers right.

im not sure what the problem is.

i see in pictures and videos that people have their index finger above the thumb when using the basic grip. but if i do that, i feel stiff and the only way i can relax is if the two fingers are resting around the same height with respect to the racket grip. only by doing this will i be able to play backhand and forehands comfortably. i do change to other grips for other shots of course.

but the problem is "feeling". sometimes i can feel the racket in my hand and sometimes i cant.

i hope im making sense. does anyone else have this problem? what can i do to fix this?

Edit:

how important is it to have the index finger slightly above your thumb? should i make my grip bigger?

#1 giant_q_tip, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

what overgrip or replacement grip are you using now?

perhaps it's too thick? perhaps choose thinner one, or wrap with less overlap?

re index finger position, whatever is comfortable as long as your grip is relaxed and you're not using a deathgrip...

but definitely thumb above index for backhands

3. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

my grips always standard and then ive added a overgrip so it fills my palm in more. perhaps replacing the grip on your racket will bring a consistently comfortable grip for you. just gotta experiment.

4. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

hmm, you're right. you're overthinking it. focus on your grip only during your practises while during your game you should relax a bit and your training should kick in.

the only time i think about my grip is when i need to do a backhand clear :p

the real grip should only be done by your ring finger and pinky on the handle while the index, middle and thumb should be relaxed, caressing the grip into position and only briefly stiffen upon contact/snap of the wrist

5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

stop thinking about your grip!

you can do some exercises, where you watch your grip and exercise the "correct" grip. the rest of the time, don't think about it, it will become "natural".

6. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

thanks for the input guys.. i try to relax but i just.. cant!

when i can "feel" the racket in my hands, my fingers are so fluid. i can even play drives on the forehand side with a thumb grip and switch back to forehand without hesitation. but then i suddenly lose the "feeling" and everything messes up again.

i've decided to buy a pack of grips and experiment with adding more grips. it will arrive tomorrow.. but what if i add more grip and it feels weird? what can i do with the grip? i dont want to throw it away heh... just roll it up?

7. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

well, if you buy overgrips you can roll it back and use them again when you're current grip dies. if its replacement grips then tough luck :p

8. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

use standard grip for more feel

I had the same problem a few days ago. I changed the grip on my at700 and it felt weird, as if changing from head heavy to head light overnight. Two days ago, i removed the grip and used the standard grip, my shots felt better.

If you are worried about perspirations or blisters, u can try to use the grip powder.

Also,i agree with visor, index finger definitely above level than thumb for forehand. Here is the link that might help; (it's for smash defense, but the principle's the same)

ww.youtube.com/watch?v=oDyyPjRtLNQ

9. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

Ive seen another two variations. All three seem to give essentially good results...

1) Some people mainly anchor low (with pinky/ring finger), and tighten the top.
    2) Some people mainly anchor the top (index finger) and tighten low.
    3) Some people seem to loosen their fingers (but keep in place with the bases of the fingers), then tighten the lot. Allegedly this method has the most power, but its maybe a bit harder to do tricky stuff, kinda panhandly?

10. jajvirta

jajvirta Regular Member

Programmer
    The advice of not thinking about the grip while playing is, I think, true, but it's not very constructive. Being able to trust your "body" [1], for example the execution of your strokes, is a matter of practice. Realizing this intellectually is not enough, you also have to teach yourself how does it feel to trust your body. For some people, this is easy. For others, well, they may never learn it.

(There's an excellent book on the subject that describes all this better than I could ever do: Timothy Gallwey's The Inner Game of Tennis.)

[1] Strictly speaking it's another part of your brain, but for the purposes of this discussion I think it's OK to say that it's your body that executes your motions.

11. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

you're def right. that's why i think it's best to do some exercises where you think about the grip and then try not to think about it during the rest of the training and let it become natural.

12. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

I found I was like this when I was younger and not as strong in my forearm and fingers. The grip itself and the way I was holding it had to be "just right." Now that I've started lifting weights and improving my grip strength, I no longer worry about how I'm holding it (well, no more than any other part of my technique), because my strength allows me to manipulate the racket more freely. If you don't work out, I'd seriously recommend it. Try heavy deadlifts and farmer's walks.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It would be really good to show us a picture of your grip. Could you do that?