User Tag List

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default worst condition rackets you have ever received?

most of us here are either professional or supplement our stringing addiction/spending by taking in customer's racket to be strung. what is the worse condition racket you have ever received? what is your criteria for rejecting a string job?

some of the worse conditions i have seen:

one of the racket i got the racket frame has so many paint chips it makes the moon looks like a mirror. the incredible part though is that there are zero cracks on it. all just purely paint chips. the racket is pretty sturdy looking and so far has survived 24lbs stringing.

another racket i have received the shaft has obvious sign of massive collision. one strip of the top layer carbon fiber of around 15cm long has been cracked and missing and all around there are micro-fractures. the shaft feels soft and crackles when i tried to bend it. the racket frame has higher than normal number of paint chip and a sign of internal crack as well. i have to return it to the customer who wanted a 27lbs job on it, i don't think any stringers worth their salt will take this racket in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you take any pictures?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

no.... they already went back to the customer. i might see the former one in a few months, but i won't see the latter...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can relate to your point on paintchips on rackets that mirror the moon. I usually get those from juniors. But luckily I dont do theirs at high tensions anyway. So its alright.

But I have been given racket that cracked before and was asked to string at 24/25. I warned the guy that the racket will collapse under tension. But been given the go ahead by the customer, went on and try it on and predictably, it collapsed.

I usually warn customers of what can and cannot be done with their rackets before putting it on the machine. But if I get no response then I will only be able to do what I am comfortable with it and that means of not stringing it (some times).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually the second racket can be quite dangerous. one should never use a badminton racket that you know for a fact that is structually compromise. especially in this case since it is the shaft.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a string job, but my worse condition racquet (aside from the Cab21 which snapped) I have is my original Carbonex 20 racquet I bought off someone when I was a kid. I was obsessed with getting one and although I didn't pay much for it, I had to have it. I'll post some pictures of it later.