need help - I found six knots from my new replace string

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by forum168, Jul 12, 2003.

1. forum168

forum168 New Member

Hello, I need help and advice from the expert. I asked a guy who plays with me at the same area to re-stung my MP88 with Bg65 at 22 lbs two weeks ago. I got my racket back and play totally about a hour.

My feeling for the new string is wired, when I hit the bird inside the sweet spot, the sounds is strange and weird. Personally, I feel the force vs the travel distance from bird are OK most of the time, but occasionally, the bird travel just a little slow and short than what I expecting. At that time, I think I just do not feel comfortable with BG65 (the old one is BG85) and need time to adjust.

However, the pass weekend, I find out there are six knots from my racket last week (See the attached pictures). :mad: I am very upset what I found out; I paid him $15.00 USA dollar for restring. I will like to ask all of U that what I should do in this situation? :confused: I will see him tomorrow.

Wai

#1 forum168, Jul 12, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2003
  2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    It could be that the string has snapped somewhere and the stringer has chosen to replace the snapped string rather than replace both main or cross depending what had snapped

If the main and cross are strung seperatley as with most rackets this will give 4 knots but with a single string replacement this will give you 6 knots.

3. forum168

forum168 New Member

how to post the picutre?

how can i post the picture, it's jpg format.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Agree. Or, could be the stringer mis-measure the length of the string before his job, then, choose to make it up by another short piece instead of starting all over again.

Either way, personally I don't like the result. Unless he's a very experienced stringer (can tell the tension by feeling, with fairly accurate assumption), it's very possible the racket will end up with uneven tension (not balanced). In a long run, I assume it might create some potential risk, especially for high tension (22 is high enough to create trouble).

For a pricy racket like MP88, my suggestion is to ask the stringer what he really did to the racket. If he could not provide a satisfied answer (some sort of special reasonable string method, which I don't know), then ask for a refund (at least, partial), cut the string and find a more reputable one next time.

6. forum168

forum168 New Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      50.4 KB
      Views:
    #6 forum168, Jul 14, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2003
  7. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Looks like he either mis-estimate the length of the cross string or it snapped while he was tensioning it. Basically your top quarter (5 cross strings) is one piece and then the rest of the cross strings are one piece and then your mains are one piece.

As to long term effect of this, I would guess that the top quarter string will eventually even out to x lbs, the rest of the cross strings will even out to y lbs and most likely x will not be the same as y so you will have two different set of tension on your racquet.

Personally I don't like it as it tells me that the stringer made a mistake and instead of correcting it, he tried to fix it as cheaply as he could. What you could do is tell him that (although it has been a while) he should have consulted you first instead of going ahead to fix the mistake or if you are on pretty good terms with him, tell him to restring the racquet again (for free) using two piece stringing.

8. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Yes, it looks like the two lengths across are the addition giving the extra knots at the 10 and 2 positions, all my rackets have the other 4 knots because two strings were used to re do them, 1 cross and 1 main giving 4 knots.

Take it back and ask for a re-string, the cause is certainly a repair, it looks smack bang in the middle of one length of string (well just outside). This is a common thing among some stringers if they offer the single string repair rather than going for the full re-string which is more expensive.

You have paid for a complete restring not a botched job, take it back get it re done and don't go back to them.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. i agree with WWC's analysis. the top few cross strings are on their own, and the rest is another segment.

but what a strange way to mis-string. i doubt the string would've snapped. it is a brand new string and if he pulls so hard, the frame will give before the string. so he definitely mis-measured, either that, or he has a segment of string lying around and want to save some strings.

either way, you have the right to ask for a restring. if he is a responsible stringer, he should redo it for you. i have had stringer who mis-weaved my racket once. and after i showed it to him, he didn't hesitate, cut the string and restring the racket for me on the spot. didn't cost me a dime, and it was an expensive string too.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The middle 2 knots are the extra ones. Totally agree with other ppl's idea.

Also, the extra "section border" for cross is right around "sweet spot". Generally, when stringer making the knot, the last 1 or 2 string will be more loose than the rest. Therefore, the top 1st, 2nd and the bottom 1st, 2nd will have less tension then the middle ones, once it's freshly strung. After times, the tension will be more evenly distributed.

For ur case (u claimed the feeling and sound was strange when u first used it), the sweet spot tension is actually the "weak link", and the acutal higher tension area is greatly moved downward. In a long run, these 2 sections will end up with different tension (how different, depend on his "skill").

To me, it's not likely a mis-measurement. With 5 lines are "missing", I highly doubt about the possibility. Most likely, he just using an extra "tail piece" from other job to trick u. Now, I even wonder how old is that extra piece, and whether it's BG65 or not.

For such a job, I think u have every right to complain. If he's close to u (and still do a job like thist???), maybe u should ask for refund and get another stringer to re-do it. For a string job like this, at least, I can conclude that he's very much lack of experience and the respect of his duty.

11. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    I agree with the analysis on most points, but the 'cut' doesn't need to be between 5th and 6th row. Due to the separated holes, stringrow 5 is the first suitable row to tie a knot (apart from the top). A possibility is that the stringer did the cross 'bottom up' (which is not the nicest method with 4 knots) and at the second last row, he run out of string. Then decided to knot on a lower row, and not to tie two times on the same string and therefore took 6th row at the other side...
    just guessing...

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Possbile.

I made my assumption about "5th adn 6th" based on "weired feeling and sound" (assume most the shots made are around the sweet spot). Therefore, different tension on the "border" could be the major reason for such above issues.

Anyway, it's a poor string job, and no matter he did on purpose (save string, and using tail piece) or not on purpose (snap, mis-measure), it's not considered as acceptable to me.