User Tag List

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, here they are - NBG99JP vs NBG95JP. Interesting that the 99 is a "control" string and the 95 is "durability" despite being of the same thickness. Anyway, we'll see.

Side note - didn't know N95 came in royal blue.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Mark - Use your finger and feel the different of the coating over these strings, respectively.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the head-to-head will have to be postponed: I was pulling the last cross of the 95 when the 8-10 main loop went "bang". Dodgy grommet, methinks (let this be a lesson - don't neglect your grommets, especially if you're a high tension, serial stringer slag like me). Thankfully it wasn't the 99, so a complete grommet swap on the other TPro and it's sitting pretty.

In all honesty, though, I don't think it would have made much sense to compare the two directly anyway. NBG95 is greasier than a teenager's forehead; NBG99 isn't. Not even close. If anything, it's like the old Zymax 70 - not BG80 rough, but it made a heck of a din being woven. The "control" classification now makes a lot more sense.

It did give a lot in pre-stretch, though, and here it is like N95; the WISE did "chatter" a lot more than usual while pulling as well. Neither bodes well for tension holding. Also did the classic N95 "pretzeling" when being pulled over main loops, so there must be some DNA in common after all.

Really nice sound at 30.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys, is this string out yet in Malaysia?? eager to try if the price is nice (i doubt).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder when it will be available in Europe? Yonex have it listed on thier website but I just checked a couple of retailers and none of them have it listed.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried the N99 today, and the results were so counter-intuitive that I'm ordering another set of boggo N95 to stack against it.

I've seen N99 available for pre-order on Tennisnuts - by the reel, no less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Is available at Malaysia. U can try to go at this shop S POWER SPORTS. No.16, jalan USJ8/2A, 47610 SUBANG JAYA. Owner quite nice too... Just to share the info.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default N95/N99 head-to-head

Both 27/30 lb on identically specced TPros – as close to scientific as is possible…

Power – strange one, this. I eventually decided that N95 had a higher power limit, but N99 offered more of its power more of the time; my most powerful shots came off the 95, but only with near-maximum effort, while 99 was easier to tap. Also, the 99’s power was available immediately, while the 95 had to be beaten in somewhat.

Control – 99, hands down. 95 was never good at this, especially when new; the 99 coating really narrows the margins, particularly when slicing and/or at the net. The 99 serves better as well.

Feel – again, no way the fresh 95 was going to win. The 99 sang to my hand with pretty much every shot, including my staple midcourt blocks and pushes; 95 seemed muted by comparison. In fact, it's one of the deadest strings I've tried.

Sound – the difference was completely in line with the above; 99 had a high and tight ping against 95’s bassy and looser thud.

Tension holding – and here the 99 betrays its Nanogy parentage: it falls off roughly in line with the others going by sound (but played reasonably consistently across the sessions, oddly). 99 needed some serious pulling to get the plastic out, so this isn’t unexpected.

Stringing – given the choice, I’d take 99. 95 weaves a lot easier, but kinks up horribly at the slightest provocation, and I was sure my bottom three or four crosses had gone through at least one full twist before being pulled.

[I’ve omitted durability because I never break strings – I’ll leave this to others]

I will say that I was switching between the 95 and 99 rackets all evening, and every time I had the 95 I was wanting to take the 99 out of the bag (though the odd uber-smash made me forget for a moment).

Had I been handed this string as an unlabelled prototype, “Nanogy” would have been my last thought. It doesn’t play much like the other Nanogies – it’s crisper, sharper, and more communicative (which, for a control/feel player like me, is more important than any priapic “power” considerations). Sadly, the improvements come at a (currently) exorbitant price – 85 quid for a reel and ten for a set is just too much IMO, and I’m not particularly string-hungry in spite of my high tension and use of plastics.

A solid four out of five. Once again, big thanks to Winston of MBS for the 99 set.
    Last edited by Mark A; 04-27-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice review Mark..

Cheers!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

well, since i am in HK.... courtesy from mybadmintonstore.com, which means review will be up after i string it up and testing it.

Name:  DSC02929.jpg
Views: 6230
Size:  185.4 KB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Both 27/30 lb on identically specced TPros – as close to scientific as is possible…

Had I been handed this string as an unlabelled prototype, “Nanogy” would have been my last thought. It doesn’t play much like the other Nanogies – it’s crisper, sharper, and more communicative (which, for a control/feel player like me, is more important than any priapic “power” considerations). Sadly, the improvements come at a (currently) exorbitant price – 85 quid for a reel and ten for a set is just too much IMO, and I’m not particularly string-hungry in spite of my high tension and use of plastics.

A solid four out of five. Once again, big thanks to Winston of MBS for the 99 set.
    ...crisper...

That's where I got sold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    well, since i am in HK.... courtesy from mybadmintonstore.com, which means review will be up after i string it up and testing it.

Name:  DSC02929.jpg
Views: 6230
Size:  185.4 KB
    Ordered mine a few days ago, and then on saturday I see that synergy has it T___T

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canti View Post
    Ordered mine a few days ago, and then on saturday I see that synergy has it T___T
    Yes, AK is selling them for $17 a pack.

@Kwun, saw you at bintang today, I just came back from synergy this morning too. Too bad I didn't read your post til now. Please give us your thoughts. I am quite interested in trying this out once.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The non-JP packaging is very illuminating - no wonder this is called a "control" string. I think this is what clawhammers was referring to...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CantSmashThis View Post
    Yes, AK is selling them for $17 a pack.

@Kwun, saw you at bintang today, I just came back from synergy this morning too. Too bad I didn't read your post til now. Please give us your thoughts. I am quite interested in trying this out once.
    just found out that badminton alley sells them at 14.50

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MBS has the JP version at 14.50, RKEP has EX version listed at 8.45

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rakuten sells JP version at 1008 Yen / US$12.5 / 115,000 Rupiah per pack of 10 meters
    If you buy 10 packs of JP Version, the EMS delivery costs is 900 Yen / US$11.00 / 100.000 Rupiah

Local online store in Indonesia sells SP version at 85,000 Rupiah / US$9.20 per pack of 10 meters
    If you buy 5 packs of SP Version, the domestic delivery costs is 9,000 Rupiah / US$1.00

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast