LCW biography "Dare to be Champion"

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by phili, Jan 22, 2012.

1. phili

phili Regular Member

Hey,
    anyone know if it is available in europe? My Amazon/Google/eBay research didn't bring up anything so would be nice if someone knows where to get it.

2. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    Agree it would be awesome to know where/when I can order an English copy of his book. I would love to read it.

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

+1

Finally a book I might enjoy reading!:D

4. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Actually, I have the English copy in Malaysia and it has a pretty poor translation! I think the Chinese version will be way more accurate... :( There are even some wrong dates on there, not sure why they didn't double-check the autobiography, it would have fixed 90% of the mistakes.

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

The English version is a terrific read, just don t be a grammar police! It s written like LCW is talking to you directly in his clear and simple style so you can appreciate his journey in one sitting. First, LCW s born a fighter because he made it to this world despite his parents' contraception! His family was so poor, relatives suggested he be given away as was the norm in those days. Luckily his mum said no way. Being the youngest, while his older siblings had to work early, LCW s childhood seemed to be all play. His talent was spotted early by one coach Teh. He loves badminton so much he plays it all day(serious!) You know he s born for badminton because he beat players much older and bigger. One photo shows his small build was such a contrast with him standing on the champion podium but the runner up was still much taller than him! ( George, pls upload that photo because I have passed my copy for circulation) Then he was spotted by Morten Frost. He went for try out but was not called up. The second time MF insisted that LCW be accepted regardless of his build. By which time LCW was behind the others in some ways because of his late start and taunted. He made up for lost time by doing double duty, working twice as hard to catch up. ( yes, badminton aspirants, no short cuts!) Even then, LCW knew how to mix business with pleasure. He likes this girl seated in front of him in class. To get her daily attention, he would forget to bring some stationery item and asked to borrow hers. Other guys asked him how come she only did it for him and not them and that s when LCW realised he s the one ( or she s the one) She s gonna be Mrs LCW but no name s mentioned so you gotta read the book to guess. LCW said he had a tough time adapting to Li Mao s training methods and it took him some months to iron out their differences. Basically LM taught him techniques but Misbun was key to developing his physical conditioning. Although LCW has the benefit of not just one coach, I would say the one that deserves the greatest credit for LCW s feat of taking out 3 CHN MS in one tournament is Misbun. Any MAS MS who wants to win like LCW will have to pass Misbun s tough training. (Maybe KLRC should hire Misbun for a short stint and give ZZ a taste) LCW also learnt that there s no fooling Misbun. In 2003, he got the ticket to play in AE at the expense of Hafiz. However, he had some minor foot problem and was delighted when the doctor said he could be excused from the jogging routine. So happily he told Misbun. And guess what? The no-nonsense Misbun saw through it all as an excuse to skip training. He told LCW that meant he s not fit to compete in AE, called the manager to cancel his ticket and LCW knew his mistake grounded him. My guess is Hafiz then took his place and didn't Hafiz then win the AE in style? ( I may be wrong here, just some guess work) Having said that Misbun provides the solid foundation for LCW s success, I believe that TSB will be the coach to help LCW bring home the OG gold because TSB is going beyond the 80% standard MAS preparation.

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

THanks kak pjswift. The "Mrs LCW' story bit has already been told by the lady in question during a post 2008 OG interview.Her side of the story is pretty cute too. ;)

Seems the book is not in circulation at the book stores as yet. Check again in Feb.

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    great minds think alike. get misbun to do zz. ;)

I am very sure... all horny kids who knows this trick from now on will do the lcw trick. Leaving utensils at home. lol. ;) Horny little fella. ;) lol

8. phili

phili Regular Member

Can't wait to get my handy on a copy. If anyone comes across an offer in Europe feel yourself invited to post where you found it ;)

I don't care about the language that much because I'm not a native speaker. I really would love to have some insight on the person LCW not the athlete.

9. apu4life

apu4life Regular Member

Hey guys does anybody know from where i can get the autobiography in Malaysia (KL) or Singapore?

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    the most interesting part of LCW's life will be the next 8 months. It will deserve its own chapter in the 2nd edition of this book.

11. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Now, I really have to cough up the bucks for this book.

12. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

cant find it here yet

maybe its cny period... no delivery from malaysia to sg yet..

13. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    wow so many ppl already buy the book ...why not wait after he won the gold medal this year !!
    or buy both version in package?

14. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    the books are available... I got mine at MPH Mid Valley... maybe you can even order online, not even expensive like Tun Mahathir's book - but that one is wayyyy too thick. Worthy of the price :D... LCW book is really a good read... I finished reading in between movies all in one day... :D
    his story is really humble on how he nearly became as arrogant as someone on court but his sifu & godfather taught him great lessons in life in addition to badminton and eventually he became a better person/player. I agree with Misbun in his principle... LCW's love story is cute... gosh this man is really not only a badminton player but also a successful businessman. Dare to dream, take the risk, endure the hard works and you'll achieve... There is no short cut in long-term success.

15. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Dare to be A Champion Pics

Here you go - for dear members wishing to take a peek at pic excerpts from Dare to be a Champ.

Photo0008.jpg Photo0009.jpg Photo0010.jpg Photo0014.jpg

Pic 1: As PJSwift commented, LCW is a champ although dwarfing in size when compared to the runner up. Don't know about other members, but it would be a thrill to get to watch videos when he was playing at that age, especially with giants, :D.

Pic 2. Need I say more?

Pic 3. Primary school champ!

Pic 4. Activities to do when bored. Paint flour on each other's faces.

Go buy the book. Would like some BCers to do a comparison between chinese and english version. Maybe they left out better interpretations from the chinese versions.

Attached Files:

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    it was written in Chinese and translated into English, right?

17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yes, thats right.. the translation is terrible though..

18. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

http://www.mphonline.com/books/nsearchdetails.aspx?&pcode=9789671084328

Just checked, mph do ship overseas. You need to sign up & add to cart
    For our USA BCers : Shipping+ handling =MYR66.33 . Canada =MYR62.80+MYR6.28
    and so on. The shipping cost more than the book for far away places. Try email the publisher, see if they are setting up booth during tournaments :D

#18 eaglehelang, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  19. winex

winex Regular Member

Business Owner
    For those who lived in USA can order both English and Chinese version from this site: www.badmintonian.com with free shipping.

#19 winex, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  20. 1234554321

1234554321 New Member