Doubles: Talking to your partner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by asterisk, Jan 22, 2012.

1. asterisk

asterisk Regular Member

I'm sure we've all had games where you or your partner isn't playing at their optimum level, leading to frustration and further mistakes. Personally, I find that when I'm the one that's making all the mistakes, I don't find it helps when my partner tells me to "calm down", it just kind of irritates me a bit more. Likewise, when it's my partner that gets frustrated, I don't really know what to say to encourage them, especially when they stand off the court for a minute to gather themselves... Thoughts? :')

2. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Most people get annoyed when they are told to calm down. A lot of times, a player doesn't know what is going on with his partner. Best not to say it.

Once at 19-20, when I was about to serve, my partner said "Don't be nervous" ... IDIOT!!

3. visor

visor Regular Member

better to focus on the positive and say something encouraging like
    - c'mon, let's go
    - we can do it

or give them easy pointers like
    - let's hit to their backhand corner
    - let's hit to the weaker player

most important is to use the word "we", not "I" or "you"
    because in doubles, it's all about teamwork

4. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

yea i was gona ask about the same thing. but with my partner, it was more of a different strategy/mindframe going into a game... i'm more the "opportunist" trying to setup a point then going for the kill whereas he's more of a "faster faster more power" kind of player...

anyways, back to ur issue, i'd suggest #1 get ur partner to tell you wut kinds of shots NOT to play when ur playing badly, that way u can cut down the mistakes; and #2, instead of saying calm down, maybe use phrases like "good try" or "almost man" or "that's a nice shot" or "wooo almost but that's the right shot to go for" things like that, try to stay positive and motivate.

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

When the shot doesn't work, that's what I tend to say. "That was the right shot to play", and nod in approval.

I also think facial expressions can tell a lot about how you're feeling, so don't say one thing and let your expression betray you.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Yeah, "no pressure" is similarly counterproductive...

The odd "unlcuky" or "right idea" is often enough to steady the ship if my partner seems about to Hulk out. As far as instruction, I'm always telling them to move in/stay in on my drop shots.

7. Poseidon1985

Poseidon1985 Regular Member

Random Thinker
    Actually, I don't like it too if my partner asks me to calm down or asks me to lift when I want to set-up attacking opportunity.

I find it helpful if my partner tells me that I had the right idea or it was close to be a good shot..

If my partner makes mistakes, I normally asks him not to worry and keep trying until he gets it right..but I think you only say that when you are playing casual games...8)))

8. SantaSCSI

SantaSCSI Regular Member

The guy I play tournaments with knows me very well and vice versa. He knows that if it loooks like i'm angry, the best thing to do is NOT to say "stay calm". that pumps me up even more.

I use the "bad luck" one on a regular basis if we lose a good rally. There is usually not too much talk during the game unless one of us misses to notice a big flaw in the opponents defence.

At our local club, we have somebody who is already starting to get worried if we are, lets say, 14-11 behind. I once had to tell him to keep quiet. At 14-11 there is still a world of time to get to 21.