Whipping Action and Wrist

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Theseed, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Theseed

Theseed Regular Member

Hello all,

Some questions to ask in my learning journey of badminton. I have seen the term "whipping action" in various places but I hardly find someone explain what is whipping action.

So....What exactly is whipping action?

another question is the wrist for the overhead forehand, does the wrist be relax the whole process or lock at the time of hitting the shuttle?

Please help

2. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    I believe the whipping action is the part where you snap your wrist during shots, which looks and feels like how you might whip someone. For overhead forehand shots, your wrist should be relaxed/loose until the moment where you are about to execute the hit, at that point you snap your wrist down. I don't know what you mean by locking your wrist, but you can look up videos about overhead shots on youtube or http://www.badmintonconnect.com/videos/ Another thing that will help you is pronation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ&list=UUtgcnvfXW4TdWevtx8bnZnw&index=6&feature=plcp this video basically taught me how to smash. I believe he has an account on this forum by thejym or something like that. Hope this info helps.

Have Fun,
    dat guy

3. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    You'd lock your wrist in tennis...not for badminton.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

The whipping action in badminton is very similar (in whipping, pronation, leading with elbow) to holding onto a leather glove to slap someone on the top of their head. :p. Seriously try it! Well, on the wall perhaps, otherwise the other person will punch you in the face! :)

5. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

this is what I found out after re-starting to play badminton since school ( haven't played like in 15 years)

My first love was tennis, so back in school I used to always hold my badminton rackets very tight. Since I was never coach, I always wondered why I wasn't really generating power in badminton.

Anyway after starting badminton again late last year, I took a look at some youtube videos. For me the best way for me to generate power in badminton was to use a quite tacky grip and hold my racket as loosely as I possible without the racket flying out of my hand. My grip will automaticaly tighten as I am about to make contact.

The main point is that for your wrist to be relax, your grip has to be relax. Otherwise, it is quite diffcult to get the whipping action.