Natural Gut string

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by rossco, Jan 24, 2012.

1. rossco

rossco Regular Member

I am interested in people's view on Natural Gut strings - I've away to do a racket in Titan [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Titan GT Longlife 20G.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not 100% sure what tension - put probably on the low side 22 lbs - that about the same as Yonex BG80.[/FONT]

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Have a look here - the news isn't great...

3. rossco

rossco Regular Member

ah - That appear to be a half gut/half synthetic - that'll wipe out any apparent advantages of gut.

I'm stringing it up tonight - and playing with it tomorrow night.

It's just an exercise I thought might be fun to try out.

It's not that i'm that old - honest!! -- but I remember playing with a wooden dunlop racket with gut - even tried it on an imported yonex carbonex 21 in late 1980's v.early 90's and remember it's touch was great at the net - not a great hitting sound like bg66 etc... - but good for my game.

I'll let up everyone know

Thanks

4. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

I think natural gut works best for people who likes it consistently elastic/bouncy.

Hopefully, it is is not going to cost rossco too much to test. Let us know how it works out for you :)

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

A set of gut will cost 15 quid these days. I'd be very interested to hear what an ALL gut bed is like, but I have pretty much put my money on "dreadful". Even some old-skool players I know say they could never go back to gut.

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Natural gut, provided the whole string bed is all natural gut, is of course more superior than any synthetic strings. It has the most efficient energy return which means it leaves the string bed faster and it returns back to its original length significantly faster.
    Perhaps, some bad experience is caused by pre-stretching, which is a sin as it destroys its elasticity, or too low a tension.

7. rossco

rossco Regular Member

well - it was a NIGHTMARE :mad: to string up - ended up snapping @ knots - anyway - i used 2 sets - £9 each - not too bad - but since i've never strung in gut before - only synthetic - it took pretty much 3 hours to do..... its also a lot stiffer when trying to do the crosses - the clamps seeemed to grip the string too tightly -went white when clamped - loosed them up and them it slipped through a bit - ended up using flying clamps (yonex clamps)

As far as playing - well it certainly.. well.. different - on my slower swing speeds it appeared to - fly out of the racket - but smashes were kinda rubbish - even more than normal - but when i didn't try and kill the shuttle, it was a lot better.

However it was the sound that affected me the most - very quite -Very strange.

Also seemed to lack consistency in terms of the length of the shot - sometimes didn't go very far - then slowed down my swing and it literally flew out of my racket - albeit very quietly.

I'll play again on sunday - and let a few other guys use it - and let every know the outcome.

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Going from synthetic strings to natural gut is a drastic change This requires some time to get used to it.

9. rossco

rossco Regular Member

Yep you are right - i'm def not ruling it out - it'll take some getting used too