Will playing with 2 rackets affect my consistency?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Footwork_816, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

So I want to use two different rackets (one for doubles and one for singles) but I feel like that will make me inconsistent and I'll do worse in both than if I just used one racket.

I also think that 2 rackets might cause inconsistency bc whenever you see pros they never use more than 1 racket. Usually they pick a racket and use it for a year and then maybe change to something else.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Don't worry. You do need rackets with different characteristics for singles vs doubles. Lighter fast rackets for doubles, and more powerful heavier rackets for singles. If anyone doesn't believe me, they can try and do the opposite and they'll understand what I mean. :)

3. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Singles games are more control-oriented n slower n thus u can use heavier/powerful rackets. Doubles u need to be lightning quick n easy manouvering is necessary, especially when u are in front.

4. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

My personal experience it is going to screw up your touches and control shots unless you consciously adjust for it.

I have a 3U Voltric 80 and 4U Nanoray 500 one is head heavy the other head light. It is just the drops and touches that need some getting used to.

BTW, both rackets feel very different.

Maybe a 3U and 4U version of the same racket is a better choice.

5. Footwork_816

Well I know that the two require different rackets (lol very hard to defend in doubles with a heavy racket) but I really don't want my touch to be screwed up for the first few points every time I switch...Guess I'll just have to learn to adapt fast when switching games :D

Hopefully after a month or two it'll only take 2-3 points for me to adjust to my other racket instead of like a whole game or two

6. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

no difference to me at all.

think i am too lousy

b it playing with 2 or more racket oso wont make me a better player..

7. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

imho there's no need to change the racket for singles vs. doubles. i used to play AS10 and now i play VT80 (4u) for both.
    for me, the loss of control by changing rackets is worse than the loss of speed in defense in doubles. it's all about wrist power...;)

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I like to have the racquet handle very slightly bigger for singles.

I play less singles now so I keep one racquet for singles (MP55) (with the larger grip size) and 4 racquets for doubles (carbonex 20).

9. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

This is the best solution. I keep a lighter racket handy for those tired days.

10. Footwork_816

Hmmm ok I atm I will try using two different rackets and after a month or two if the speed at which I can quickly adapt between rackets does not raise significantly (like within 2-3 points) then I'm just going to buy an all around racket and use that for everything :)

11. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

well, not all pro's use only one racket at a time. you sometimes see JJS switch between MX80 and SW35 during a game. FHF even won the korean open with CY's racket when all of his rackets broke.

in addition, singles and doubles are totally different style as well. your touches are more important in doubles than in singles, while smashing you need to take care that it doesn't fly out the side tramlines when you smash in singles.

keep those in mind and you're better off using seperate and more suitable rackets for the different types of play required.

12. Footwork_816

Oh I probably never saw those games. I watch singles more than doubles :p. Thats really amazing though...that doubles players like JJS and FHF switched rackets between games when doubles requires such precise touch even if they are pros...o_O

13. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

i wonder why JJS keep switching back to sw35. does he has problem adjusting to mx80? i mean, years back, while he was using sw35, he seldom switched rackets.

what do u guys think about the strings? using different strings/tensions for single/doubles?

14. visor

visor Regular Member

jjs and fhf are more rear court players who pound hard, so to them switching rackets won`t affect their touch much :)

whereas their partners lyd and cy are the front court touch players

15. Footwork_816

Ah right that makes sense. I actually thought LYD was a better smasher than JJS, it always looked so when I watched them play. Isn't LYD the main rear court player now since JJS has a shoulder problem?

16. visor

visor Regular Member

two possible reasons why jjs switched to mx80 past year:

1. he and his partner lyd are becoming more all court players as lyd can now smash pretty hard from the rear, and jjs has shown that he can also play the front quite well... so a faster racket in the form of the mx80 is what he needs

2. over the past year, there's rumour that jjs had sustained an injury to his right shoulder, so perhaps that's why he switched to a less demanding racket in the form of the mx80