Smash high return and technique

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by NeverWalkAlone, Jan 25, 2012.

1. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

Can anyone give me tips to improve my smash return? I can't seem to lift the shuttle high enough to the rear court. And also, i have a recurring problem. Why does my other strokes worsen everytime i tried to improve one area of my strokes? For example, when i tried to improve my backhand clear, my net play worsen and when i actually tried to improve my net play, my smash worsen. It's killing my enthusiasm, tbh.

2. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Wow!! That is strange !!
    To help with your smash returns use a backhand grip and if you want to hit the shuttle to the back flick your wrist, if you can't use a backhand grip if the the smash is going to the forehand just use a forehand grip and hit it to the rear court.
    But when you are doing a smash return to the net don't flick your wrist but try a place the shuttle at the net area

Errrrmmmm... This is tricky I haven't heard this kind of situation before....

3. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

could it possibly be a lower string tension? players at my club dont smash particularly hard, only in my beginning days did i find them fast. anyways during their smashes i find it very easy to clear to the rear court.
    whether backhand or forehand it shouldnt really make a difference.

4. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    The most important aspect that you need to do if you want to reply a smash that ends with a high lift and reaches back into your opponent rear court (as you mention here) is that you need to address the smash earlier.

Since this is not a block that you're doing therefore, to return back the birdie so it is high and far enough into your opponent rear court requires you to provide your racket swinging action sufficient room from the moment you start to react swinging until to the point of contact with the birdie.

If you address the birdie early, then there will be enough room for you to energize your swinging action since the distance of the birdie to your body is far and with such enough room, you can energize the return powerful enough.

If you allow the smash to travel close to your body as a result of not addressing it early then, it will be harder for you to make a energetic racket swing to propel to birdie powerful enough since your racket swing action is short as there is not enough room provided to do the maneuver.

The other aspect that you need to know is that when you want to return a smash with such reply, the swinging action must involve both your wrist and forearm movement.

For you to able to address the smash earlier, while on defensive stance, ALWAYS prepare your racket head level high and fix your vision on the trajectory of the birdie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you feel that while you're trying to improve one aspect on how you play badminton but somehow it turns that the other aspect deteriorate then i can tell you that you're not alone!.

Such inconsistency also happens to my student and it is due to the fact that they:

- Lack of self confident
    - Loss focus
    - Trying hard to be perfect

My advice is, don't be hard on yourself. Always be confident that actually you can improve.

5. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Maybe your brain is full, so every time you learn something new, your brain needs to dispose of old information, LOL.

or maybe you just need to practice more using proper technique.

6. NeverWalkAlone

Thanks people, for the fast replies.

shooting stroke: Guess u r right about the inconsistencies part. i have a habit of perfecting my strokes, sometimes i even watch the video hours trying to figure out the correct techniques involved. what bout the wrist? should i cock and lock my wrist before replying the smash? preparing the racket head level high? i'll try that. usually my racket is in front and low during standby.

dre tze en: can u give me a tip on how to effectively use the wrist flick? do i need to pronate my forearm first or just lock out and snap with my wrist?

faiyazk: i got 27 lbs on my string, so it's not due to that, i guess.

if u guys have any vids for me, that would be helpful.

7. faiyazk

faiyazk Regular Member

its almost like flicking the smash back just as hard as it came at you..

8. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Don't pronate your arm replying from a smash is got more to do with your wrist then you arm.
    Your arm helps you reach the shuttle but your wrist does most of the working during a high return.
    As you are in a defensive position use a backhand grip (place your thumb on the thickest side of the handle). When the shuttle is coming towards you, bring the racket back slightly and just flick upwards.
    Just like a lock and snap

9. ammil89

ammil89 Regular Member

Between Jobs
    i find this very helping indeed, had trouble opponent bombing smash towards me during double as i tend to return it halfcourt, from what i've learn, u need to be relaxed, focused, loose your grip a little bit, at the moment of impact, flick your wrist, and follow through with upward motion therefore i think your shuttle will go to the back court. to learn the timing and judgement properly ask a fren to smash for you and try to return it ^_^

10. ammil89

ammil89 Regular Member

Between Jobs
    but actually having problem returning smash with forehand clear i keep using tenis style to clear, maybe a habit from my old state-level pingpong reflex hahaha

11. NeverWalkAlone

from what i have gathered, there are different type of smash returns, three to be exact; high, drives and placements. High and drives type of smash returns probably involved the arm slightly as well. For placements, a flick of the wrist is sufficient. still, i have not concluded yet. That's why it's still a probably.
    :D
    any more tips from the pros?

12. visor

visor Regular Member

For placement return, I assume you mean blocking return to just over the net short of the service line. It's just a guiding pushing motion of the hand while absorbing the impact of the smash.

13. uglydewey

uglydewey Regular Member

Student
    I don't know if this will help you but from my experience, the force of someone smashing on you will have enough force to bounce back across the net (without moving the racquet) if placed properly. If you want the opponent to run I suggest you flick your wrist in the area of their back hand, usually the area near the far end or "end" of the court.

Everything has to be positioned. Have someone smash at you a bunch of times and you will get it eventually, just don't over train one position too much, that's probably why your other techniques are getting worse.

14. NeverWalkAlone

I watched Lee Jae Bok clips on defense and i immediately noticed what my mistake was. The most important thing in smash defense is how your racket is positioned during standby. It should be in a neutral postion, with regards to backhand and forehand. If u positioned it right, smash defense should be a breeze.

15. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

To return smash w/ a high clear you have to flick yr wrist vigorously n sort of 'smacking' it back in doing so. You will not have time to use yr arm if the smash is a decent one so yr wrist have to be quite strong. If u have time n the smash is also not a steep one u can drive the shuttle back to surprise them. ;)

16. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Aside from the points raised by others above, I think this is the area I would concentrate on - wrist strength. Having good wrist strength will allow you to generate good racquet head speed with a short take back. This is a huge advantage particularly when you're returning a smash at full stretch.

17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i think how your hold the racket is also important. your grip must be very loose to be effective.

18. NeverWalkAlone

Another thing i want to add. Don't just concentrate on the wrist. If u watch the Badminton England clip, watch how the torso is positioned during smash return.