User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzzards View Post
    OK, so I have now calibrated my crank tensioner to pull 2lbs extra for every twice [very] slow crank, and both successive cranks show me the same 2lbs extra compared to what I have dialled in. I noticed that after 5 minutes, the tension settles to 0.5lbs extra (compared to the over-crank's 2lbs extra). From my previous string job which gave me 1lb below intended even with 1lb over-crank, hopefully this new calibration will give me my true tension. I am hoping that with this 2lbs overpull, my finished string bed will give me +0.5lbs overall tension then settle to dialled tension overnight.

PS. I do feel the difference between the 33lbs that I desired compared to the dropped tension of 32lbs on my previous string job, and I still prefer the extra 1lb that I dialled in and intended to hit
    So I "sacrificed" one of my still doing fine racquets and strung it at 33lbs with the above 2lb over-crank calibration..

And it seems that the over night tension has yet again fallen below the 33lbs mark, but at least it sounds higher pitched than the previous 32lbs racquet I did (i.e. still higher tension overall; I have a spot on 33lbs racquet strung using ECP with BG75Ti sometime ago which I still keep for tension reference).

Two things are apparent here now:

1. Each and every racquet seems to have its individual own tension holding properties and calibrating a manual crank machine to account for all can be messy. I will get much better consistency with an ECP with light (10%) pre-stretch.

2. Master PeteLSD is again correct in regards to the +3lbs rule

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a side note, now that I am going to calibrate my crank to +3lbs per pull, I am wondering since I am fond of doing 33lbs string jobs, is it a good practice to leave an "over-tensioned" racquet on the stringing machine with the supports tightened around the frame after the string job and allow the tension to settle before taking it off (overnight for my case)?

In my case for a 33lbs string job the very initial tension after completion will be around 36lbs which is pretty scary for racquets with slightly thin graphite in the frame such as the Armortecs which I tend to use a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After further analysis, I theorise that the actual tension (referencing a constant pull job) pulled by a crank would be:

[tension pulled measured by gauge] - 2.50.5lbs

However due to the variable factor in this formula, electric constant pull is still the better choice for a consistent string job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2