The Star Online: Doubles coach Kim Her wants to switch the national pairs around

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Cheung, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/1/30/sports/10562710&sec=sports

KUALA LUMPUR: National doubles chief coach Tan Kim Her is set to become Mr Tinkerman.

He is prepared to switch the national doubles pairs around in the next few months to ensure a fresh start after the London Olympics in August.

And he plans to start tweaking the doubles pairs at the Thomas Cup qualifying tournament in Macau from Feb 13-19.

Malaysia have named Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Lim Khim Wah-Goh V Shem, Hoon Thien How and Teo Kok Siang for the qualifiers. With six shuttlers to choose from, Kim Her and his team of coaches will have several options for the team competition.

Kim Her said he had to think “outside the box” after assuming the role of doubles chief coach in September.

Last week, he was given the additional responsibility of looking into the affairs of top pair Kien Keat-Boon Heong, who were previously under the charge of Pang Cheh Chang.

Kim Her, together with Cheh Chang, Yoo Yong-sung and Rosman Razak, will share the task of helping Kien Keat-Boon Heong overcome their confidence crisis.

“Yes, I did say a year ago that I wouldn’t make any more changes to the doubles line-up. But that was when I was in charge of the back-up pairs. Now, the situation has changed. I’m not only looking at the current group but for the future as well,” said Kim Her.

“I plan to establish solid pairs for the next Olympic Games (Rio de Janeiro in 2016). Nobody knows whether Kien Keat-Boon Heong will remain as a pair after London.”

Kim Her has also been forced to look into new partnerships because of injuries.

For instance, Kok Siang was doing fine with V Shem before he was floored by a knee injury early last year.

The setback allowed Kim Her to match V Shem with Khim Wah.

Kim Wah’s original partner, Chan Peng Soon, was then told to focus more on the mixed doubles with Goh Liu Ying until the Olympic Games.

Kok Siang is now back on his feet and he did well with his new partner Ong Jian Guo at the Malaysia Open.

The others doubles pairs are Vountus Indra Mawan-Mohd Lutfi Zaim Abdul Khalid, Ong Soon Hock-Mak Hee Chun, Ow Yao Han-Chooi Kah Ming, Yew Hong Kheng-Pang Zheng Lin, Teo Ee Yi-Nelson Heg Wei Keat, Jagdesh Singh-Shen Low Juan and Sant Enos Jani.

“Things will have settled down after the Olympics and we may have to make some changes to form the best pairings. It won’t involve all the pairs but some need to be re-looked,” said Kim Her.

As for the qualifiers in Macau, Kim Her would rather keep the possible line-up close to his chest.

“We may field the regular pairs or form scratch partnerships. It all depends on who we play. It involves a lot of thought and strategy. The coaches will discuss it when the time is right,” he said.

In the Sudirman Cup in China last year, Malaysia took a gamble by teaming up 2004 world junior champions Thien How-Boon Heong in a tie against South Korea and the duo pulled the rug from under Lee Yong-dae-Jung Jae-sung.

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I agreed long ago to split them.;)

3. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    KKK still an outstanding player...
    i think Ah How need a steady partner like TBH
    so that he play with confident..all his previous partners
    are not consistent, hence he cant really realise his full potential...

4. extremenanopowe

Maybe Kim Her reads this forum as well. I think the mix department also need to change a little. ;)

5. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Hoon Thien How/Tan Boon Heong (if the KKK/TBH proves that they are unable win any titles for the rest of their career)
    Mak Hee Chun/Teo Kok Siang (reunite former WJC partners, but it might not be like this as Goh V Shem has paired up with Teo Kok Siang before)
    Goh Wei Shem/Lim Khim Wah (might be changed if they continue to perform below par)

Alternatively, Mak Hee Chun/Lim Khim Wah and Goh Wei Shem/Teo Kok Siang are also options as they have been pairs before.

That's only some I can think off the top of my head. :)

6. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    Ya meh? He still claim our top pair problem lies in tactical when the bcers has been saying the pyhsical problem is the cause even long before mr park's statement. Think of of box??? Think of the universe also wont win them title with those speed and fitness.

7. extremenanopowe

At the highest level, everything matters. Near peak is the best. Always peak is almost impossible. ;)

Being able to train hard and smart is important. Following LCW regimen would be good for them. ;)

No excuses. ;) If LCW a little fellow from a kampung can do it, why not the others? Apa sudah salah ah?? lol. ;)

8. undeadshot

Tan Kim Her,you cannot be serious... Mak Hee Chun with Tan Wee Kiong again???
    I have no disagreement with Goh Wei Shem/Teo Kok Siang partnership though, although I feel that it isn't fair to Lim Khim Wah!

Maybe its just testing though, and I am just overreacting.
    Anyway Tan Kim Her doesn't seem to fancy Lim Khim Wah much, always blaming him as the weak link of the partnership in the media.

9. fathonezic

fathonezic Regular Member

Consultant
    who said that mak will back to tan ?

10. undeadshot

Their names are submitted in the All-England entry list... I think this might just be test and temporary though.

11. fathonezic

fathonezic Regular Member

Consultant
    test for 1 tourney ????

how about ow yao han ??
    his result with tan was quite good i think...
    dont think he can get good result in senior with chooi...

12. undeadshot

I'm still unsure whether it is a test or is it for real. But I agree that Ow Yao Han won't progress if he is back with Chooi.

13. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    some news I read from Sin Chew earlier....
    Mak Hee Chun is back with Tan Wee Kiong
    Ah How with OSH again
    LKW with OJG
    Goh V Shem back with Teo KS....
    TKH wanna try all possible combinations to find the best 2nd pair for future

14. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

that's for German Open on next month, order to get some experience, rather than stay in 'kampung' do nothing.

BTW, if LCW retired from singles, hope he might concerning playing mixed double, just like Shoji Sato who once play single then play doubles...